+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default 2 year old gagging?

Hi ladies just wondering if anybody elses child does this. DS seems to have a terrible gag reflex or something, it all started at around 20 months. Basically if he eats something he hasn't tried he dry retches. Sometimes it starts off with this massive gross wet burp then he starts gagging. This also extends to him watching us eat.

A few examples:

I was peeling a mandarin and he was sitting on the lounge watching me and he dry retched.

DH was drinking an iced coffee out of a straw...Ds was standing there dry retching.

Just yesterday I was eating pumpkin soup and he was watching me from his high chair. At first he started cracking it and I thought maybe he wanted some but nope he started dry retching to the point where he almost vomitted.

He watched me eat a yoghurt the other day and as I lick the spoon he started gagging. He loves yoghurt and even had some a few hours later!

Yesterday he had a sandwich but it must have gone dry from the fan blowing on it. He went to put it in his mouth and as soon as it touched his lips he dry retched. I felt it and the bread was quite hard but still he was gagging so much

He has vomitted accidently a few times because he was gagging so much

Im guessing this Isn't normal at all? We have mentioned it to two gps when it first started happening and they both said I dont know and left it at that. He has had his throat checked a few times and nothing. We just cant work out why he does it and what sets it off because It's not all the time. Like with the Iced coffee example....he has watched dh drink it several times and hasn't done it every single time.

Any ideas what this is? Any other kids doing this? Should we take him to another doctor or maybe even discuss with his chn? Im starting to get a bit worried about it so any help would greatly be appreciated

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely discuss with chn and ask for a referral to an occupational therapist.

Sounds possible sensory related, visual , texture etc.

Xox sooner rather than later with these things work
    Best

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Definitely discuss with chn and ask for a referral to an occupational therapist.

Sounds possible sensory related, visual , texture etc.

Xox sooner rather than later with these things work
    Best

Thank you lovely. He is supposed to have a 2.5 yr check up in March but I will ring and get an appointment with her much sooner than that. He doesn't have many words we can understand either. His speech seems behind what it should be...Ive been shifting between being really worried and hoping he will catch up. Now Im wonderimg wether that and his speech is related. Im thinking I should discuss this with his chn sooner rather than later as you said.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry mods this is probably in the wrong section

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi purple lily , I second what ZE had said and wouldn't wait , I would try and get a referral asap for an occupational therapist and also for a speechie as it definitely could be related .

Good luck !! Xxx
    Last edited by heeeeerekittykitty; 21-11-2013 at 14:48.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Speechy can help with mouth/ food related stuff too hunni.

If he is behind in speech also try not to panic just get a referral asap for both cause wait times especially around this time of year are ****ty.

Im here if you need to chat <3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you so much ladies you are too kind I have an appointment for 9am Wednesday with the chn...so nervous. I found out yesterday that the waiting list is at least 16 months and Im not sure that we could find the money to go privately, we already live week to week... feeling like a pretty crummy mum right now If it came to us needing to go privately we would do what we have to Its not something that will fix Itself if he does have a speech delay. Im definitely feeling he has some sensory issues with the whole food thing maybe I was just too scared to admit it Plus Its hard to know what is normal 2 yr old behaviour and what Isn't, so Im glad I got an appointment.

Anyway sorry for the sob story feeling a bit sad about it all. Thanks again ladies I really appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is sad and scary.

But there might be other options hopefully the chn can point you in the right direction.

Keep us updated xox

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (23-11-2013)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's ok to feel sad PL , not a sob story at all !!

They are our babies , no matter how big or small a problem as parents we worry .

So glad you have an appointment so soon and then you can take it from there , good luck and pm anytime xxxx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you both so much I really appreciate it Will update when I know something xoxo