+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that you should take your kids.

Death is a part of life and unless your kids had nothing to do with your gran then its a moot point.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been to several funerals with small children. Some are sensitive enough to understand its a sad time. And in fact , I believe it helps a child comprehend death and that they won't get to see that person anymore. My nephews have attended funerals and now when someone dies they understand what that means and that it's okay to be sad about it.

If they are likely to be disruptive, a seat at the back and someone who is prepared to take them outside if necessary is all that is needed.

IMO there is only one chance to attend a funeral. No one should be forced to miss something that can be so significant in the grieving process. If it were me , and the funeral was for a close family member, then I would go and take the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I went to my great grandmothers funeral when I was about 6 - it was sad and I remember crying a lot but I am so grateful I got to go and say goodbye.

My grandmother passed away last year and my oldest son was close to her but because I had to travel for the funeral he didnt get to come because we could only afford for me to go alone and he was quite upset about not being able to say goodbye.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take them.

They have a right to be there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would take them. Death is a part of life and funerals are a part of our culture. I think it is important for kids to get to participate in and say good bye loved ones at a funeral.

Take some quiet activities for them if they get restless. I also don't think kids need to sit in silence, sure not running around screaming, but if they ask questions or talk or play quietly I think it is fine. Kids are part of our society and I really think they should be included as much as possible in all facets of life.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (20-11-2013),beebs  (20-11-2013),Renn  (20-11-2013)

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi beefie, I have said what i think about kids at a funeral in the other post. I think the one person who is saying 'no kids' needs to get over himself, and let people do what they think is best for them. I would just ignore that comment, and bring your little ones, and tell everyone else to do the same. It is all part of the circle of life and im sorry but the person not wanting little ones there is just wrong. hugs, Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've taken kids and babies to funerals. I just made sure I had plenty of snacks and quiet things for them to do - eg colouring or sticking. If your grandmother would want them there, then I'd take them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've taken under 5s to funerals twice. I just stayed up the back so that I could step outside if they got restless and made noise. Was never a problem taking them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my girls when they were toddlers to a funeral. When they got restless I just took them for a walk outside.

At the wake sooo many oldies commented on how nice it was to have them there.

Kind of a 'circle of life' thing I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think it's a personal choice, me...no I wouldn't.