+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's nothing to balance out though - the question was why does child support decrease FTB and well under the threshold for a wage earner and why do single parents receive less rent assistance despite generally paying the same rent?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    There's nothing to balance out though - the question was why does child support decrease FTB and well under the threshold for a wage earner and why do single parents receive less rent assistance despite generally paying the same rent?
    I doubt too many people get their income estimate right. I know I over estimate by a few thousand just in case. So EOFY can change things dramatically. Often arrears payments of FTB and rent assistance are made at this time which compensates for the lower payments made throughout the year. This is really common if you've separated part way through a financial year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I doubt too many people get their income estimate right. I know I over estimate by a few thousand just in case. So EOFY can change things dramatically. Often arrears payments of FTB and rent assistance are made at this time which compensates for the lower payments made throughout the year. This is really common if you've separated part way through a financial year.

Given my income is more than 10k under the threshold and I already receive the full rates for both, tax time won't change anything.

So there won't be any arrears to pay, as I get full rate for a single parent receiving 5k/annum in child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Given my income is more than 10k under the threshold and I already receive the full rates for both, tax time won't change anything.

So there won't be any arrears to pay, as I get full rate for a single parent receiving 5k/annum in child support.
    But because child support is paid your ex's income is taken into consideration as well. If his income was over estimated/under estimated, it can change the rate of child support which can impact on your FTB.
    If you separated during this financial year it can alter the payment rate for the remainder of the year as well.

It just seems incredibly odd to end up with less entitlement when single.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But because child support is paid your ex's income is taken into consideration as well. If his income was over estimated/under estimated, it can change the rate of child support which can impact on your FTB.
    If you separated during this financial year it can alter the payment rate for the remainder of the year as well.

It just seems incredibly odd to end up with less entitlement when single.

Yes, but the question here is why does the child support alter the FTB-A when the income including the child support is still well under the threshold?

That also doesn't explain why single parents get less rental assistance either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes, but the question here is why does the child support alter the FTB-A when the income including the child support is still well under the threshold?

That also doesn't explain why single parents get less rental assistance either.
    But it's obviously only some single mums that experience this. I never have and don't know any others that have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But it's obviously only some single mums that experience this. I never have and don't know any others that have.

NO! This applies to ALL single parents who have an income of less than 45k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    NO! This applies to ALL single parents who have an income of less than 45k.
    Is it a new thing? Because my income has varied anything between $20 something thousand and $53k. I got the maximum rate of everything every year apart from the 2 I earnt over $50k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was a single parent 5 yrs ago and it happened to me, too. You may have been overpaid if you earned over the threshold and received the full rates, esp if you received the partnered rate for rent assistance which is higher across the board. Her Q is why does maintenance payments affect it if it combined is still well under the threshold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I was a single parent 5 yrs ago and it happened to me, too. You may have been overpaid if you earned over the threshold and received the full rates, esp if you received the partnered rate for rent assistance which is higher across the board. Her Q is why does maintenance payments affect it if it combined is still well under the threshold.
    I was just trying to offer possible reasons. I haven't experienced what was described, hence why I find it odd. I've never been over paid either. So it's definitely not applied to all single parents.
    It's a rather unfortunate circumstance regardless of the reason.