+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    See below.

Bingo. Can't leave the country (without abandoning my kids), can't access basic safety nets like social services (aside from tax benefits).

I was a FT SAHM before the split, we got full rate of FTB-B then and I get the exact same amount of FTB-B now. It's just Rental Assistance and FTB-A that drop once you're single.

I think it's wrong to look at the overall picture and say 'oh, well single parents get more overall', as it's not a lump payment, they are each specific payments for specific things.

Rental Assistance should not be lower for a single parent than partnered parents.

Child Support should not impact on FTB-A rates unless Child Support + Income tips the single parent's income over the threshold.
    I was just trying to make sense of it. As I said before my FTB entitlement has always been far greater whilst single.
    I do know in that first year, as it was part way through a financial year, my FTB was reduced to minimise the risk of an apparent, possible over payment.
    When EOFY hit and everything was reconciled I got a massive back payment of FTB. The next financial year I was paid at a higher rate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in the same situation as BO visa-wise. It makes no sense at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I was just trying to make sense of it. As I said before my FTB entitlement has always been far greater whilst single.
    I do know in that first year, as it was part way through a financial year, my FTB was reduced to minimise the risk of an apparent, possible over payment.
    When EOFY hit and everything was reconciled I got a massive back payment of FTB. The next financial year I was paid at a higher rate.

when you were partnered was he earning above the threshold? That would explain it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    One of the FTBs are based on the lower earners income so one can earn a reasonable rate, and one earn a little, and still entitled to that FTB. Then when they separate the custodial parent's income is the only one taken into consideration and any parenting payments and child support is calculated into the rate they will receive. What is odd though is why can a couple earn almost fifty thousand and get full FTB and then a single parent household can earn **** all but their pitiful CS affects it? So they can get nowhere near the almost fifty thousand before their payments are affected.

when I split with the ex I noticed the same thing, Blissed! I went from doing ok with ex and having FTB thrown at me, to becoming single, struggling and my FTB reduced.​ the way they work it out is stupidity.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (20-11-2013),Ellewood  (20-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because Dont you know single parents are not supposed to get the same treatment as partnered people... Because we're meant to be disadvantaged

seriously though, I had no idea about any of this as I've always been a single parent. It's wrong!

I choose to be single at this point but I feel pressure all the time, financially and from other people to find a new partner because let's face it, the system is set up in a way that being in a couple is the ideal and you will always be better off in a couple relationship. Clearly this is the way centrelink see it too, which is a shame.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    when you were partnered was he earning above the threshold? That would explain it.
    Which threshold? I got no FTB B based on my income and got $20/fn in FTB A.
    He was on about $50k and me$30k.
    Once separated my income went up to $53K the following financial year. I had no parenting payment entitlement but received close to the maximum rates of FTB still.
    That's why I don't get it. I understand being paid at a lower rate for the remainder of the financial year you separated in as your on 2 different rates for it. The following years it should surely be more?
    It's definitely so very wrong if it's not adjusted. Your children certainly don't get any cheaper once single. I've just never heard of this happening before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it to be the opposite! I am better off single than I am partnered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Which threshold? I got no FTB B based on my income and got $20/fn in FTB A.
    He was on about $50k and me$30k.
    Once separated my income went up to $53K the following financial year. I had no parenting payment entitlement but received close to the maximum rates of FTB still.
    That's why I don't get it. I understand being paid at a lower rate for the remainder of the financial year you separated in as your on 2 different rates for it. The following years it should surely be more?
    It's definitely so very wrong if it's not adjusted. Your children certainly don't get any cheaper once single. I've just never heard of this happening before.

so your combined income went from approx $80k to $53. I would assume one of them is based on both incomes. FTB part A (I think) is based on whoever earns the least so it can go down once separated because a SAHMs income can go from literally $0 to let's just say the $14k single parenting payments. That's what happened to me and I remember feeling miffed. Then a CS assessment went up and my FTb went down significantly so I was no better off anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the FTBs are based on the lower earners income so one can earn a reasonable rate, and one earn a little, and still entitled to that FTB. Then when they separate the custodial parent's income is the only one taken into consideration and any parenting payments and child support is calculated into the rate they will receive. What is odd though is why can a couple earn almost fifty thousand and get full FTB and then a single parent household can earn **** all but their pitiful CS affects it? So they can get nowhere near the almost fifty thousand before their payments are affected.

when I split with the ex I noticed the same thing, Blissed! I went from doing ok with ex and having FTB thrown at me, to becoming single, struggling and my FTB reduced.​ the way they work it out is stupidity.
    Exactly! Well articulated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    so your combined income went from approx $80k to $53. I would assume one of them is based on both incomes. FTB part A (I think) is based on whoever earns the least so it can go down once separated because a SAHMs income can go from literally $0 to let's just say the $14k single parenting payments. That's what happened to me and I remember feeling miffed. Then a CS assessment went up and my FTb went down significantly so I was no better off anyway.
    FTB A is based on your combined family income. FTB B is based on the lower income earners income. So once separated I was entitled to part B and my part A went up several hundred dollars.

For you guys that are losing out during the year, do you get more back come EOFY when everything is reconciled?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast