+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why do single parents get less than partnered parents?

After separating from my husband earlier in the year, I was surprised to find out that I would be receiving less in FTB-A and Rental Assistance than I was when I was partnered.

The reason given for this was that I should now be receiving child support from my ex.

However, with the child support and my income together, my total income was still quite a bit less than our household income when we were together, yet my payments were reduced.

I have 100% of care.

I have tripled checked this all with Centrelink and it is correct.

Rates;
    Rental Assistance - Partnered $145.18
    Rental Assistance - Single $123.20
    FTB Part A - Partnered $344.40
    FTB Part A - Single $308.98

So I have two questions;

1. Why does child support affect payments more than regular income?

2. Why would a single parent need less rental assistance and FTB-A than a two parent family?
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 19-11-2013 at 19:34.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (20-11-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just a guess, but could it be because there is one less person in the house?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (20-11-2013),Mummy Potato  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Just a guess, but could it be because there is one less person in the house?
    I could be wrong here, but isn't FTB for the children?

... and one less person doesn't make the rent any cheaper?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (03-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Parenting payment is more for a single parent than a partnered, does this balance it out a little?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And could it be because one less adult = less tax being paid by that house? Doesn't explain rent assistance though :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

i think FTB is something to do with balancing tax paid by families to close a bit of the gap between a one income family who can only claim the tax free threshold once and a two income family who can claim it twice - but you, as a single (and therefore sincle income) family can only claim it once. So why it is less I have NFI.

also, single parents are not magically given cheaper rent. So why you get less than a two parent family who earn up to the $45k or whatever it was I have no idea. Rent is no more expensive for me as a partnered parent as oddly DP and I share a bedroom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

Hmm, yep. I have no idea then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    The child support your ex pays should be making up the difference. If his income were to go down, child support payments would go down, and your FTB A would go up.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find this a bit odd too. I get substantially less of all those payments than I did when partnered- meaning apparently my ex's child support payments make up the rest in support of our children...or something. So when we lived together his fulltime income had less of an impact than his rather inadequate CS now does. (Which doesn't come in half the time anyway.)

Also the schoolkids bonus- I got substantially less than a couple would due to care arrangements, on a percentage basis. Yet they didn't pay the rest to him (he's not eligible for any govt benefits) so essentially my kids received less financial support for what is meant to be a school cost offset than they would if we were together. I do not understand how that is equitable. Not that it'll matter after this year as good old Abbott is scrapping it anyway.

It's true that generally we're well looked after as single parents, I'm not complaining as we do get other benefits but I think those things need to be looked at. It's "Family" tax benefit, so if you are the sole carer it isn't being split between the two households, it's just reduced, and your ex partner obviously isn't contributing any more than he was when you were together, yet as a family you were paid more then. I don't really understand the logic of that or why CS has such an impact when your own income doesn't (on FTB/RA at least), but who DOES understand Centrelink logic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    Parenting payment is more for a single parent than a partnered, does this balance it out a little?
    That wouldn't be it though, someone claiming parenting payment partnered would have a partner either earning a low wage, claiming student allowance or newstart. They would still receive significantly more.