+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Phuket!

I just booked my 30th birthday trip today!! Staying in Patong Beach and on my actual birthday will be on an elephant trek,then a day later doing a Phi Phi island tour.Soooo freaking excited!! so whos been before and can recommend any must do things?!? Its just me and DH no kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I go to Phuket almost every year and have been 4 times!

The elephant trekking is lovely as is Phi Phi island.

Phuket Zoo is very hands on!

Check out the Aussie Bar 🍸🍻

Great shopping through the markets!

We hired Jet skis on Patong beach - heaps of fun!

Snorkelling and Scuba Diving!

I luv Phuket! Its my happy place! ☀️☀️☀️

Have a great holiday and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom88 For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (19-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

I'm going to Phuket in March with a friend... no DH or kids!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hire a scooter and drive all around the island. It's a lovely day trip to go down south to the bottom of the island and you can stop at the giant Buddha in the cente of the island. Another lovely day trip is to drive north and go to one of the beaches up there. These beaches are so much nicer than patong beach.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been to Phuket many times. Laem Sing beach is lovely. it is a tiny little cove at the bottom of a million stairs. not a lot of tourists. They have a bar just nestled in the trees and will bring your cocktail to your chair, or the water's edge. it is perfect at Sunset. I am not too keen on Patong and try to avoid it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lots of cocktails, shopping and just walking the amazing busy streets!

We loved Phuket without kids! Make sure you get a ton of massages and manicures too!

Indulge!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a bit worried because people at work told me that they hit the elephants on the trek to make them walk That makes me really sad!! I LOVE elephants and I think I will smack anyone who would do that in front of me!! It makes me not want to do it!!! Scooter sounds fun,dont know how DH will handle it though Soooo excited!!! 2months to go!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't like animal cruelty I would avoid Phuket Zoo... i had to leave after abt 5 mins bcos what i saw made me so upset... the monkeys were in tiny cages with a concrete floor and a stick across the wires for them to sit on, a giant snake was forced to remain curled because its cage was so square and small it couldnt stretch out.. the worst was the elephants - chained at the ankle with abt 3 inches of chain, swaying back and forth in distress. It was simply awful.

If you are doing the elephant ride, try to go to one of the sanctuaries instead of the commercial ones, they are treated a lot better.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refused to do anything in Thailand that involved animals as I had heard how cruel the operators are to them. I refuse to support someone to treat an animal like that.

But onto Patong... We stayed right in the heart if Patong and it was great, it's a bit stinky but you get used to that after a couple of days.

There are tonnes of markets in Patong and don't be afraid to bargain, you will NOT miss out on something by walking away because I promise you will see 10+ more of the exact same item at a heap of different stalls.

Be careful hiring motorbikes, jetskis and scooters, they sometimes try to blame previous damages on you and will hold your passport as security until you pay them an exorbitant fee for the apparent "damage" you caused. Not worth the risk IMO, also after you see how people drive there, I wouldn't be caught driving on their roads, it is CRAZY! There are modern, air conditioned taxis everywhere and that's how we chose to get around. We went on a tuktuk ride once just for the novelty but they're pretty expensive for what they are!

If you get sick of Thai food, there is a great steakhouse called Carlssons at the end of a lane way off the main road of Patong. Also great restaurants at Jungseylon which is a big shopping centre 1 block back from the beach (genuine brand stuff so it's very similar to Aussie prices).

Don't bother with the massages on the beach, they're pretty uncomfortable and there were rats running around us! There is a fantastic air conditioned massage shop in between mcdonalds and banglar rd, I can't remember the name of it but there is no funny business going on there, 'real' females, and no back room or upstairs. It's all white and has a tour booking kiosk out the front. They're not the cheapest but are very generous with their time, I think we paid AU$10 for 90 minute foot and leg massages! We went there every night :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmallestmeasure View Post
    If you don't like animal cruelty I would avoid Phuket Zoo... i had to leave after abt 5 mins bcos what i saw made me so upset... the monkeys were in tiny cages with a concrete floor and a stick across the wires for them to sit on, a giant snake was forced to remain curled because its cage was so square and small it couldnt stretch out.. the worst was the elephants - chained at the ankle with abt 3 inches of chain, swaying back and forth in distress. It was simply awful.

If you are doing the elephant ride, try to go to one of the sanctuaries instead of the commercial ones, they are treated a lot better.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Me too, that zoo is so awful.