+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feed-play-feed-sleep

I try to do feed-play-sleep but my 10 week old won't have it at all! Once she starts her tired signs, she tends to start rooting around and will get cranky until she's fed again. Sometimes it's a proper drink, other times just a 1 minute snack. She's not necessarily fed to sleep - she'll be very drowsy and I tend to burp her and keep her upright after for 10 mins, then pop her in her bassinet. She can sleep for 3-4 hrs after this, and we occasionally get a 6 hr stretch at night.

I'm just wondering if others find their bubs do F-P-F-S? An alternative is if I gave her a pacifier instead of a feed she would sleep - would that be another option if she's had a good feed, or would that be an unhelpful sleep aid? Thanking in advance for your advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son would do this until he was about 4 months old. I wouldn't introduce a pacifier if you don't want one.

My son grew out of it. Just a way for bub to get comfort and become cozy before sleep

Asha 26, William 13 months

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshaTooley For This Useful Post:

Azvanna  (13-08-2014),Piyamj  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1preferred F-P-F-S. There was no way he would settle without a feed.

DS2 is the opposite and F-P-S works well for him, in fact if I tried to feed him too close to a nap he would get very uncomfortable when I put him down.

They are all so different. If what you are doing works then just go with it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS would generally wake, play, feed, play, feed, sleep. This meant for a while he fed every hour when awake (as he was only awake for 2 hours at a time) but was a quick feeder and it didn't bother me. He also slept well. I figure if you ate happy and bub is happy why worry or change things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. My MCHN said we need to "work on it" from 4 mths but unless she just grows out of it, I don't see how I'll drop that 2nd feed. I don't ever feed her and put her straight in the bassinet, I burp her and hold her upright for a while. I try to make sure she's going to her bassinet drowsy but awake, but realistically that may be happening only 25% of the time - the rest of the time she'll be pretty much asleep when I put her in there - one more bad habit!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

loulou21  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    feeding to sleep is awesome. there are lovely hormones in breastmilk that help baby off to sleep. take advantage of them!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-11-2013),BlueLips  (19-11-2013),btmacxxx  (19-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (19-11-2013),Piyamj  (19-11-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I believe it's all well and good for a MCHN to say work on it, but they're not the ones living with small babies, Nd every baby is so different. My dd feeds to sleep and I don't have a problem with it. Firstly because like bubbles10 says, there are hormones in breastmilk that encourage sleep, which tells me once upon a time it was veg natural for mothers to settle babies with a feed. But also because I know that she will eventually not need it any more. No stress in this household about it all

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (19-11-2013),btmacxxx  (19-11-2013),Bubbles10  (19-11-2013),Piyamj  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's crap how your mchn is already putting pressure on you and your bubs to conform to a routine and to self settle at that age. Honestly, babies are far too young at that age to form any bad habits, they have yet to develop object permanence... By 6 - 12 months everything is much easier, until then don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing what us best for you and bubs at this time!!!

Edit: I stopped seeing my mchn as she was not impressed I was still feeding my bubs 3 hourly during the day at 6 months, even though both of us were happy with that. Every time I visited I was always questioning what I was doing and feeling bad....
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-11-2013 at 06:17.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (19-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-11-2013),Rutabaga  (19-11-2013),Tazzy  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine fed to sleep til he was well over 1! He was hyperactive even as a newborn, so when he was the age of your little one the feed-play-feed-sleep routine was the only way to get him to sleep - play time hyped him up too much otherwise.

Keep doing what you're doing & don't worry about what the health nurse says! I stopped visiting them pretty early on cause every time I went I left feeling like I was doing a terrible job! I then read a couple of Pinky Mckays books, & felt a whole lot better about myself. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 6 months and still does thing. I think your chn is a little old school in her thinking.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (19-11-2013)