+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSister View Post
    This is a parenting forum though, and interestingly there's hardly any men around. Kind of says it all really.
    Maybe all the dads are too busy engaging with their kids instead of faffing about on a parenting forum.

Or, more likely they're too busy reading the premier's league results on the bbc website on their phones *looks pointedly at DP*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a mum, and I've been a married and single mum. When I was married I might have wanted it changed to parents, even though I still did the majority of the parenting, and worrying and comforting etc.

I do say it's the hardest job in the world. It's a job I chose, it's a job I love, it's also more then a job, but there are lots of it that are just hard work.

I say being a mum is the hardest and not being a parent, because statistically speaking most of the parenting still rests with women. Because statistically speaking most women end up doing the majority of care after divorce and the children cost women more then men (or the women spend more, time wise and $$ wise). No not in every case, but in most cases. If a man wants to say being a father is the hardest job in the world, fine, but the stats aren't on his side for that call I'm afraid, but when they are I'll be cheering.

I love being a mum, my children are the most wonderful human beings and I wouldn't be without them. But I know who does 96.78345 % of the hard work (yes I've done the maths ) and it's me. So if I want to say its the hardest job out there. I bloody well will.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-11-2013),Ellewood  (20-11-2013),Gracie's Mum  (20-11-2013),JD Mumma  (19-11-2013),LoCo  (19-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    After reading many threads on BH I came to the conclusion that parenting duties not being shared 50/50 is a choice from the couple, conscious or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    After reading many threads on BH I came to the conclusion that parenting duties not being shared 50/50 is a choice from the couple, conscious or not.
    I didn't choose for my ex to be an a selfish unreliable asshat.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-11-2013),Ellewood  (20-11-2013),Gracie's Mum  (20-11-2013),JD Mumma  (19-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I both agree that being the SAHP is the hardest job we have ever done. We have both been full time parents for a year each while the other worked full time, so we both appreciate how much the SAHP does. I think this article has some good points, but it comes across as a little demeaning of SAHM and doesn't really take into account that men are more then capable of being the SAHP.
    Yeh I'm not a surgeon that saves peoples lives or works 40 hours straight. I'm the mum that sat in waiting room and ED for 40 hours with a screaming toddler who couldn't be comforted. Yeh its probably a hard job performing surgery, but its a heart breaking job being the parent sometimes too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD Mumma For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (20-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeh I'm not a surgeon that saves peoples lives or works 40 hours straight. I'm the mum that sat in waiting room and ED for 40 hours with a screaming toddler who couldn't be comforted. Yeh its probably a hard job performing surgery, but its a heart breaking job being the parent sometimes too.[/QUOTE]

This is where I agree with the author - I don't think you sit in an emergency department trying to comfort your child because its your job. You do it because you have a strong, connected and intimate relationship. I'm sure your hubby would be there for you if you needed him, not because caring for you is his job but because of your intimate relationship. Some relationships require more effort at different times I guess.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I actually agreed with you on your initial post on this article but this new conclusion of yours I strongly disagree with. As a person who grew up with an abusive parent it is very clear to me just how big the impact (or potential impact) parenting can directly have on a person. I would absolutely rate parenting as one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle that make up most of us.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its not a "job" technically because u dont get paid for it but it encompasses many skills and a "job description" that many do get paid for - child care, cleaner , cook etc. Theres no holidays, sick pay or lunch breaks and its 24/7 - so in that sense its the hardest role ive ever filled.

I agree that its up there with the most important in the world tho. Children are our future.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just heard Sarah Murdoch's "busy mum on the go" yoghurt ad. Urgh. So many adverts try and leverage off the hardest job in the world thing.

"As a busy, Aussie, working mum...." I don't want to buy your products!! Rant over

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    There are oodles of fantastic dads out there. But I guess as with most things, the losers ruin it for the good ones.
    They certainly do in my mind... I do know some good dads for sure, but in my experience it seems it's still more of a choice for dads and responsibility for mums. Yes, people will shoot me down for that but I see it over and over again, dads walking away from parenting when it suits them, or they need a break, or they want to do their own thing that weekend etc. even my friends husbands/partners that I can think of who are great dads are largely selective about what they do at times. DS's dad is wonderful with DS, but if he wants time out or to go to say, a game or race day on DS's wknd he will cancel DS!s visit. There's too many other examples I could list. That's my experience anyway, but I suspect I'm far more critical of these things due to my own experiences in my 38 years of life. I was a lot more forgiving when I was younger

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (20-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (21-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (20-11-2013)