+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 17 and Pregnant

So my friend is pregnant she's on the pill and took it at the sort of the same time each day but it failed. She doesn't want her parents knowing because they will go off, just like most parents, she wants an abortion, but has no money what are the prices of abortions? Also where is the closest place to Tamworth, NSW, to get an abortion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are many options and prices vary. Your friend needs to see a doctor asap to work out what to do. She can go and see a doctor on her own without consulting parents, if she has a regular GP she should be able to just go in as her details will be on file, otherwise she will need her Medicare card to see someone new and chances are she's still under her parents one. She'll need to get that from them.

I fell pregnant at 16, and I seriously think your friend needs to bring an adult in on this. Could she talk to an aunt/family member/ close friend about it? Failing that you are welcome to PM me and I will try and help further. Best of luck xx

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Rhee

Can I just say that I think your friend's parents might be a bit more helpful than she thinks when it's about something as important as this? Sure they might go off but when they've calmed down, they could be really supportive, too.

I really think that aborting just so that her parents won't find out - while understandable - is not really a good choice as it limits her options. I agree with a pp that another adult (apart from us on bubhub) should be involved to help her decide what's actually right for her with the pregnancy - they might also be able to help her tell her oldies, too, if that's what she needs.

I actually have a 17 year old daughter and an 18 year old and even though I probably seem really strict to them, I would be really supportive about something like this. I'm also Year Advisor at school and we hear problems like this fairly regularly and try to help - your Year Advisor or Welfare Teacher or another teacher you like might be really helpful.

I hope all goes well for your friend.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (21-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Do her parents know she is on the pill? If so, I think she should tell them. It's not her fault if her contraception failed. And they may go off at first,but they will probably come round and help her when it comes down to it. If not, perhaps another trusted adult can support her. Good luck. You sound like a good friend..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (21-11-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Parents don't always come around, mine certainly never did, so I can understand your friends reluctance in telling hers.

I think first and foremost your friend needs to get in to see a GP. They will no doubt refer her off to other organisations that can help and inform her of her options.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I second the motion to involve a parent/adult. A trusted teacher at school/year advisor would be an excellent option. I wish her luck and if she wants to see a gp or someone without letting her parents know, she can use the number off the Medicare card, rather than needing the while card. That way she can just take a pic on her phone and put it back in her mum/dad's wallet instead of taking it and hoping they don't notice. Best of luck to her x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must say that I would be really upset if one of my Daughter's became pregnant at 17 but I would be more upset if they didn't come to me and had an abortion without me knowing I would be heart broken.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    I must say that I would be really upset if one of my Daughter's became pregnant at 17 but I would be more upset if they didn't come to me and had an abortion without me knowing I would be heart broken.

Same here. Is she close with her parents?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I had a daughter I'd want her to tell me so I could help and support her.

I hope she can find at least another adult to help her. Aunt? Grandmother?
    What about your mum OP?
    Teacher or guidance counsellor can help to.
    All the best

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think bringing another adult into the loop would be a good move. A doctor would be my first point of call.

If I fell pregnant when I was 17 there would be no way I would have told my parents. We aren't that close and I know they would have been more trouble than they were worth. So I can understand if your friend didnt want to tell her parents.

Good luck to your friend.