+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fraternal twins, only one heartbeat.

When I went for an ultrasound at just on 7 weeks, there was clearly two round blobs. My obstetrician said it looked like fraternal twins but after swapping from tummy ultrasound to internal ultrasound he could only find one heart beat.

Is there a chance it was too early to find the other heartbeat?

Lots of people including my son are adamant I'm having twins, I've been violently ill right through (in & out of hospital), very high Hcg levels etc... I'll certainly be very happy with just one bub but cant help but keep wondering whether the scan was right or not...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    7 weeks is still a touch early. I wouldn't panic just yet. Have they schedules for another ultrasound?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They said they wouldn't need to scan again until 20weeks....??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have read that twins can sometimes be 2wks apart, so there is a chance it was too early for one heart beat. I'd ask for another scan. Good luck xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd be asking for another one, it isn't fair to leave you hanging like that. There is usually an NT scan at 12 or 13 weeks as well.

As Indigo said, sometimes frat twins can be different ages, one of mine was measuring 6 days younger than the other, so it could be that one is too young ot pick up a heart beat at 7 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullofhope View Post

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely be getting a second opinion on that. I've never heard of having a scan, not finding a heartbeat, then waiting for 20 weeks to have another scan. I'd be wanting another one 2 weeks or so later to be sure and I don't think it is unreasonable to request that. How can they expect you to wait that long not knowing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that they have assumed that because there is no heartbeat the second twin hasn't survived. I think ill ask for another scan earlier though .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that they have assumed that because there is no heartbeat the second twin hasn't survived. I think ill ask for another scan earlier though .
    It is possible it was a vanishing twin

I had two sacs with this pregnancy at 8wks, i got another scan at 12wks to check if the twin had vanished, or had yet to appear. Twin had vanished, so had the sac.

I have my fingers crossed you have a late bloomer in there. Definitely get another scan if you want.