+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Oh you poor thing, yes stop thinking of the 'what-ifs', as most of the time it is just people looking for money or easily sellable things to get money. I used to have a boyfriend who got into a bit of trouble as a teen, and I just try to think of the people who broke in being like him- just had a hard life, making really bad choices, drugs, desperate, but not really wanting to hurt people.

Are you friends with your neighbours? After our second break in I got my next-door neighbour's number so if I ever thought someone was breaking in I could call him.

I still have all the kids in our room when my husband is away though, I think I will for a long time. We also got another sensor light, a big floodlight one, and will look into an alarm at some stage, nothing expensive or fancy, but just so I feel better, really.

Thinking of you
    Yes I think most of the break-ins around here are just junkies looking for cash. And considering there were *shudder* 2 little girls right in front of them, and nothing happened to them, I don't think they were looking to harm anyone. But you just never know.
    None of us neighbours know each other, never even see each other, as there's several doors to get into the complex and we all just use the closest one to us. But in the last 2 days, there has been a lot of commotion in the stairwells, lots of people talking to each other, especially to me, all talking about all the break-ins and thefts in this building recently (oh so many! ) what we're going to do, giving security tips etc.

So now, my house has all new locks, my car has a new ignition barrel, I have an imitation security camera on the balcony, security stickers on the doors, I have those plastic thingys on the screen doors, dowels in the door/window tracks, patio locks, I have a chain thingy to go on the front door, window alarms, a baseball bat (honestly what am I going to do with that LOL) and my friends hubby who put up the camera is going to buy me a sensor light for the balcony. I'd love to say it's all overkill, but after finding out just how many of my neighbours have had things stolen from their houses/garages, they're all fairly appropriate measures unfortunately.

Hopefully I'll have a better night tonight. The kids have gone to bed in their beds without complaint (so far), and they're feeling very positive about the security measures we've put in place, which is good.

Thanks all for your support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes years ago we had someone attempt to break into the house but couldn't but they did get into my parents car and our car, what scared me was after that they kept coming back every few nights we would be woken by someone trying to get in somewhere. Then last year I got up one Sunday morning to the sliding door in my dining room wide open, we had had someone break in and take all the cash in the house even the contents of the change jar. DH has now set up security cameras and we have window locks and alarms and thick pieces of wood in the windows and sliding doors. We do have dogs but they slept through the whole thing or played with the person breaking in I am not sure but they are big sooks and super friendly so it wouldn't surprise me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That sounds good CMF, hope you have a better night tonight x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It took me months to be able to fall asleep normally again after we got broken into, every noise makes you jump, all our keys got stolen to, the police man said very rarely do they come back but to change locks all the same. It's a very awful feeling knowing someone has been through your home and your belongings. I hope you sleep well

7. The Following User Says Thank You to silly For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I grew up in a well off inner city suburb in Brisbane and we must have been broken into over 12 times in 20 years. The worst one that gives my parents the creeps is when they came in while I was asleep on the downstairs couch by myself (all bedrooms on top level) and I was only about 8 or 9. So while I'm asleep some creeps are walking around me going through our house. They use to come back to our place, I walked downstairs while someone was trying to get in through a glass door, saw another guy jumping over our fence when he saw me looking at him from inside...so creepy. We had mums car stolen and dumped in a creek, mums jewellery, dad's briefcase and all credit cards, cash, fishing rods, TV's...pretty much anything they could get!! I don't miss that area so much 😳 DP's car got broken into right before we moved to another suburb too...horrible! Hope you're ok OP!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

CMF  (19-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    The worst one that gives my parents the creeps is when they came in while I was asleep on the downstairs couch by myself (all bedrooms on top level) and I was only about 8 or 9. So while I'm asleep some creeps are walking around me going through our house.
    That's exactly what happened to my girls! They are 8 too. It's soooooo creepy, very yucky feeling.
    Geez you've been through a lot of break-ins, I don't know how you sleep at night now LOL.

Well last night was much better, but then it was probably just because I was so so exhausted that I fell asleep straight away! Though I think I did feel a bit more relaxed before bed anyway, so fingers crossed I continue to feel that bit better. I think once the sensor light goes in that will be great too. The kids are really reassured from all our security stuff, they slept perfectly fine last night and are convinced that our house is "robber proof"... I'm not going to correct them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    As an adult, we have only had an attempted break in. we lived in a unit, and someone had obviously tried popping our wooden window open with a knife/crow bar/screw driver. It left huge chunks in it. we spoke to the landlord and got permission to put extra locks on.
    A month later someone filled our locked screen doors keyhole and the post where the knob turned with superglue! Our landlord (private) was livid. There were a few other small things that happened that had me thinking "what next" so we moved.

As a child, my bro, bestie and myself were staying with my older bro. He took us out for maybe 45 mins at night and was cleaned out..... They only left a small black and white tv, microwave and answering machine, but all were unplugged and sitting on the kitchen table ready to go.

The worst thing was, it took us a while to click, I still remember the fear and dread from that moment... I can't imagine being an adult and being broken into.

My bestie and I were going to play the super nintendo, and thought it had moved rooms, so we checked where we thought, it wasnt there, checked the lounge, wasn't there, then noticed the tv unit was bare, then looked at the things on the table (that we had already walked past) and it was like "omg!Omgomgomg"...

I really how you can feel safe again really soon op

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 19-11-2013 at 08:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just as a side note some crims will wait a few weeks/months to break back into your place if big ticket items have been stole. e.g. laptops, tvs, dvds etc. They know most people get them replaced via insurance and they will be brand new. How do I know this...I work with crims everyday and they tell me this. They don't give a flying rats as "we can afford the stuff" they steal.