+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone had their house broken into?

If so, how long does it take for you to feel safe again?

This is night 2 for me. Last night, the kids and I all slept in my bed. Tonight, they're at their dad's, so I'm home alone, and petrified. They stole my handbag and it's contents, went through it outside, took what they wanted, then dumped the rest. They took everything out of my wallet, my iPod, and my car/house keys. The fact that they kept my keys has me convinced that they're coming back. I have had all the house locks changed (not the car as yet), so theoretically, I know they can't get in, not unless they smash a window, but I'm still so scared. I don't think that they'll smash a window; they're opportunists who got in through my broken back door, and also to the neighbouring unit through an open window, but I'm just not feeling safe. I'm so creeped out; we were all at home asleep while they were going through our house.... I had my daughter and her best friend sleeping on the sofa bed, a mere 50cm away from the door they walked in and out of. So creepy.

Soooo...... someone convince me that I'm safe?
    If this has happened to you, do you eventually feel safe again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sending you massive hugs!! I've never been broken into (thank god!) but the thought petrifies me!

Unless you had a $10 000 home theatre system they couldn't carry last time if they'd wanted anything else, they would have taken it then! Hope that makes sense and you feel a bit better. Perhaps leave tv on quietly overnight so they think someone is awake?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CatesBean For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few months ago I woke up to someone trying to break into our house while we slept. I crept into the hall and switched the porch light on and caught her red handed only a metre away standing on the other side of our glass front door trying my dd's window. I asked her what she was doing and she spun me some whacko story about she was trying to wake me to tell me a taxi was here for me, she looked off her tree. My house is surrounded by a huge concrete fence and is security gated with access only being allowed if I buzz someone in or they have a key so I knew she was full of it. As I called the cops, she took off, scaled the fence and jumped in a car that was waiting for her which sped off.
    It was terrifying... Even though it was a woman in her late teens to early 20's.
    i check all the windows and doors before bed religiously now.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013),KaraB  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, we have been broken into twice in the last 2 (? maybe 3?) years, and I had never been broken into before then. The first time was during the day and they sort of wedged the (locked) back sliding doors open with a screwdriver or crow bar, they went through my bedside table draw and jewellery box, but only took an old iPhone, left all the jewelery all over the floor- left laptops, camera etc... so we think I came home and disturbed them and they ran around the other side of the house to where we entered. I felt a bit scared after that, but not for too long.

The second one was between 6-12 months ago and we had just gone to bed, I was asleep (as I fall asleep as soon as I close my eyes), my husband had just turned his light off, and he heard a noise and walked out to catch a woman about to climb through the kitchen window. Like yours- completely opportunistic, she had gone through all the unlocked cars in the street, including mine (in our driveway right next to the window where hubby was watching tv!), and seen the window open and carried a chair from the back deck to hoist herself up. But had to empty the dishrack first, which is what made the noise! She was off her chops, and wasn't even really startled when my husband yelled at her to get out, and went up the street and broke into our neighbours place 5 mins later. (Actually very sad- she was pregnant, on drugs, in emergecy housing, just very very sad). Anyway, I STILL don't feel safe. We all slept in our room for months, with the change table pushed up against the door and bells wrapped around it incase anyone came back. We recently had a fire, and I feel much safer in this little shoebox of a house and am a bit scared to go back to our house, despite this house being really easy to break into (we keep forgetting the keys lol).

Im really sorry you are going through this, its just the most horrible feeling ever, and I would be really scared (still) on my own now, even though I have lived on my own for years before getting married

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013),RipperRita  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house was broken into when I was about 16. They stole a crystal decanter and our DVD/VCR player. They had obviously rummaged through our drawers as well

We had a staffy and a lab but the way the thief/thieves broke in, well the dogs had no blooming idea. Pity.

It took a while to feel safe. I actually live in the same house with my kids and df now, 11 years on, and still have little 'what was that' moments. I generally feel safe though and have for a long time. It doesn't happen immediately.

Massive hugs to you OP. Some people suck!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Hi, we have been broken into twice in the last 2 (? maybe 3?) years, and I had never been broken into before then. The first time was during the day and they sort of wedged the (locked) back sliding doors open with a screwdriver or crow bar, they went through my bedside table draw and jewellery box, but only took an old iPhone, left all the jewelery all over the floor- left laptops, camera etc... so we think I came home and disturbed them and they ran around the other side of the house to where we entered. I felt a bit scared after that, but not for too long.

The second one was between 6-12 months ago and we had just gone to bed, I was asleep (as I fall asleep as soon as I close my eyes), my husband had just turned his light off, and he heard a noise and walked out to catch a woman about to climb through the kitchen window. Like yours- completely opportunistic, she had gone through all the unlocked cars in the street, including mine (in our driveway right next to the window where hubby was watching tv!), and seen the window open and carried a chair from the back deck to hoist herself up. But had to empty the dishrack first, which is what made the noise! She was off her chops, and wasn't even really startled when my husband yelled at her to get out, and went up the street and broke into our neighbours place 5 mins later. (Actually very sad- she was pregnant, on drugs, in emergecy housing, just very very sad). Anyway, I STILL don't feel safe. We all slept in our room for months, with the change table pushed up against the door and bells wrapped around it incase anyone came back. We recently had a fire, and I feel much safer in this little shoebox of a house and am a bit scared to go back to our house, despite this house being really easy to break into (we keep forgetting the keys lol).

Im really sorry you are going through this, its just the most horrible feeling ever, and I would be really scared (still) on my own now, even though I have lived on my own for years before getting married
    Gosh... So similar to mine. Your not in brisbane by any chance? Paddington area?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    We all slept in our room for months, with the change table pushed up against the door and bells wrapped around it incase anyone came back.
    I did something similar last night, I just didn't feel safe so I grabbed my vacuum cleaner out of my cupboard and put it down at the bedroom door, so that if the door opened it would bang onto the vacuum. I also had my trusty new baseball bat next to my bed (kindly donated by my XH LOL).

Well I eventually got to sleep last night, but not after examining each and every noise I heard (I live in units on a main road- lots of noises!), and then when I was finally starting to fall asleep, I heard a noise which sounded like my back screen door trying to be unlocked. I was absolutely petrified, started hyperventilating, heart pounding, after a minute I was able to get up, baseball bat in hand, and stalk out to the loungeroom, seemed ok inside, peeked out the curtains and turned the light on, couldn't see anything, realised that this is a totally ###ked up way to feel in my own house, and went back to bed!

I also got a bit teary while I was lying in my bed last night, thinking that this was what I was doing while some CRIMINAL was walking around two 8yo girls who were sleeping unattended, while I slept soundly in my bed having no idea what was going on. I need to stop thinking about the what if's when it comes to the girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was broken into, we have a 2 story house and I assume they thought we were all upstairs asleep. However I was downstairs asleep on lounge & they woke me up, shone their torch on me. I actually thought it was DH shining his phone to check I was on the lounge & said "babe don't I'm tired"

They shut the door & continued going thru our back room. I then got up thinking omg he's noisy, what is he looking for lol.

They must have quickly left, I never saw anyone, just all the cupboards open & back door too. Being sleep deprived I still didn't realise & was still thinking what is DH looking for. Then I thought omg what if him or 1 of kids is sleepwalking? I ran upstairs checked all kids, went in our room & lost it once I saw DH still in bed. I was hysterical.

They did something like 30 houses in our area that night.

I got over it pretty quick, DH was always home at night so obviously that helped.

I also put additional safety things around house. Added a patio lock to sliding glass door ( if you push those doors up and across you can slide them right open even when they're locked )
    I added a clear plastic barrier thing on all security screen doors so that you couldn't push the latch across to open it just by cutting the screen ( I can pm a picture to show you )
    I put wooden dowelling in all window tracks so windows couldn't be lifted up & pushed along. I also put a padlock on inside of side gate.

If you know how they got in fix it so they can't get in that way again. A thief isn't likely to smash a window they'll just move on to the next easier target.

Also google house safety tips/ safety for women living alone & ask the police for ideas.

I also ( because I was so damn angry someone did that to me ) put a huge sign on my gate for 2 weeks saying
    " if your back to try your luck breaking into my house again, you will leave with busted kneecaps b!tch"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013),jagamoe  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think pp has some good advice. If you have sliding windows I would buy screw on locks from bunnings or pieces of dowel.

Maybe attach additional latches and locks to the door.

What about leaving a pair of mens workboots outside the door to act as a deterrent?

I'd honestly think twice about the baseball bat or an alternative weapon. If someone breaks in and are physically stronger than you, it's potentially going to be used on you.

I've only ever been broken into as a child. It was scary enough then so I can only imagine what you are going through now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

CMF  (18-11-2013),Lauzy  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post

I also put additional safety things around house. Added a patio lock to sliding glass door ( if you push those doors up and across you can slide them right open even when they're locked )
    I added a clear plastic barrier thing on all security screen doors so that you couldn't push the latch across to open it just by cutting the screen ( I can pm a picture to show you )
    I put wooden dowelling in all window tracks so windows couldn't be lifted up & pushed along. I also put a padlock on inside of side gate.

If you know how they got in fix it so they can't get in that way again. A thief isn't likely to smash a window they'll just move on to the next easier target.

Also google house safety tips/ safety for women living alone & ask the police for ideas.
    Gosh how scary!
    I've done a few of these things already- we unrusted the patio locks, my brother came around and cut metal dowel to size for all the doors and windows, the locksmith replaced the broken lock with a better quality one, as well as new locks on all other doors. I think I know what you mean about those plastic things, I'll go to Bunnings today and get a couple for the balcony doors. Thanks for the tips.