+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Real estate advice

I'm in Victoria, does anyone work in real estate and know how checks work for tenants? For example other than applications being honest, how can you check people's rental history? Do you have access to the RTBA to know what properties people have rented? Basically I'd like to skip the last rental we had for only 6 months and list the ones we had for 2+ years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First I live in QLD so I apologise if my comment is useless because it doesn't apply for you.

But here if you have rented before you are given a tenant ledger that real estates can also ask your previous landlord for - assuming you have told them who that was. Your ledger has information on if you paid rent on time, breeches ect. The other thing they check here is the TICA list, that agents can put you on if you leave a rental with unpaid debt (late rent, damages ect). Once you are on the list you are as good as blacklisted on the market, it's extremely hard to get a place and most people are forced to live in caravan parks if they cannot find a private rental or a kind agent to give them another go. Hope something there helps.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Lala so how does this ledger start? Do agents complete one for tenants at the end of a tenancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    TICA is Australia wide so if you omit your previous rental address, it's bound to be picked up when the RE runs a check.
    If a discrepancy is picked up, they will probably wonder why you lied and disregard your application.

Is there any particular reason for wanting to leave out that particular address? Often rental applications have space for the last 2-3 rental properties so you could probably list the ones you want to anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah it's all taken Down and entered in the database, shows late rental payments ect then at the end of your lease it's given to you. Of course if it's bad people just won't show it to new agents hence why they also have the right to ring your previous landlord and get it themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did a lease break on the 6m property, paid all our break fees, agent even offered to give us a reference but because things are so competitive in inner melbourne I'd rather just leave it out. We are not listed TICA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=HarvestMoon;7550602

Is there any particular reason for wanting to leave out that particular address? Often rental applications have space for the last 2-3 rental properties so you could probably list the ones you want to anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app[/QUOTE]

Yes every agent can be different in terms of what they need for an application. When I was searching I found the bigger franchises were worse then the little Independent places, in terms of needing ridiculous amounts of paperwork, previous addresses, references ect. The little places just threw acceptances at me, the big guys wanted every personal document I had, 4 different referees ect - so annoying! And hard to do as a first time renter. If you are really stuck townhouses in complexes are usually the easiest to get into, at least in QLD.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

Beta  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just read your reply, you should be okay because you've done all the right things. I definitely would put it down just because the agent is offering another good reference. If you broke the lease properly there's no reason that should go against you. But if you leave it out as harvestmoon said they may find it anyway and then assume you lied because you did the wrong thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    We did a lease break on the 6m property, paid all our break fees, agent even offered to give us a reference but because things are so competitive in inner melbourne I'd rather just leave it out. We are not listed TICA.
    Sounds like you did all the right things so you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.
    I'd still list it, otherwise you will have gaps in your application. You generally have a space to list the reason for leaving the property, so that gives you a chance to explain yourself as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Beta  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always felt honesty is the best policy and I'm really not sure I could lie to that extent anyway, it's just that we are overseas, our stuff is in storage and Xmas will be coming up when we get home. We are going to offer 3 months upfront, hoping that will get us over the line. It's just that I'm sure agents would give a property to someone over us who hasn't done a lease break even if we did the right thing. Can't wait to get out of the rental market ASAP thanks for your replies