+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We live in Sydney and everything is so damn expensive ! I feel like we will never own our home let alone buy one ! Definitely can't buy where we would love to so looking to buy a little further in south west Sydney and even that's gone up ridiculously! I actually worry how out kids will be able to buy a home . I've started a savings account from the last few months of pregnancy. I also hope when we buy over the next few months we can pay it off but who knows if that will happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    Independent brokers get paid higher commisions from certain lenders so are obviously favourable to certain banks.

There is a national company that is paid the same commision from every lender and it costs you nothing to use their service. Not sure I am allowed to name them especially since I work for them..

Brokers have access to all the same deals the banks can offer, even better deals most of the time.

You need 5% savings as an abolsute minimum. 10% for certain lenders. This needs to be evidenced with 3 months of statements. You can also use gifted funds to contribute towards a deposit aswell as savings- this requires a stat dec from the giver confirming money is a non repayable gift.

If you borrow more than 80% of the property value then you will have to pay LMI (Lenders Mortgage Insurance). LMI is NOT insurance for you, but rather for the bank, and is added on to the loan.

In SA currently there is a $7000 FHOG and then an $8500 HCG (housing construction grant) for building or buying a brand new home. The HCG is available to everyone, first home buyer or not - but a build contract must be signed by 31st December. FHOG currently cuts out 31st June 2014.

You also need to factor in upfront costs - conveyancing fees (which include land title office & stamp duty) and ongoing fees such as rates, water, building insurance, maintenance.

If anyone would like more info, feel free to pm me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    While independent brokers do get paid high commission from some lenders it's also against the accreditation bodies to favour those loans. They're obligated to advise the best loan available for the client from whichever lender, regardless of commission rates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    While independent brokers do get paid high commission from some lenders it's also against the accreditation bodies to favour those loans. They're obligated to advise the best loan available for the client from whichever lender, regardless of commission rates.
    Doesn't mean they do though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't mean they do though!

So true!

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (25-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First step is do a home budget. What are your outgoings each month - where exactly is your money going, how much can you realistically afford to spend on a mortgage?

Second step is a mortgage broker. They will run through everything for you (for free!) and develop 'scenario's' on different price thresholds.

Bear in mind all additional costs, LMI, settlement fees, inspection/fumigation fees, rates. Plus you will likely have bills to the value of approx 10k per year - insurances, utilities etc.

Most important thing is to limit your budget to something affordable!

Then find the best property you can in your price range - this takes time & is quite complicated if you're looking at a number of different areas etc. And try not to become 'emotionally attached' to a property, it will cloud your judgement (speaking from experience here!).

Good luck! It's exciting & daunting all at the same time & you may not know whether you've made a good investment for years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    We used a broker for scenarios etc then went straight to the bank & dealt direct with them.

We recently decided to switch to fixed interest & had our broker advise us on options with our bank but the amount of commission they were going to receive was insane (over 10k)! Considering it was a 1 page document, we again went straight to the bank - I could not stomach anyone getting paid that much for maybe 30mins work!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    We used a broker for scenarios etc then went straight to the bank & dealt direct with them.

We recently decided to switch to fixed interest & had our broker advise us on options with our bank but the amount of commission they were going to receive was insane (over 10k)! Considering it was a 1 page document, we again went straight to the bank - I could not stomach anyone getting paid that much for maybe 30mins work!!
    Wow. Wish we got paid that for simple variations like fixing!!! We get paid nothing if we are just fixing the existing loan. And for the record it is more than 30 minutes work when you include submission, compliance, data entry and follow ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. Wish we got paid that for simple variations like fixing!!! We get paid nothing if we are just fixing the existing loan. And for the record it is more than 30 minutes work when you include submission, compliance, data entry and follow ups.

Still, it's an unconscionable amount of money for a 'small' amount of work! I suspect it was considered a new loan though, hence the commission rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepurplebutterflies View Post
    Tell me what you know ....
    How much dep did you save
    Did you use a bank or broker....
    Any other info that you are willing to share.

We saved 15k while we lived with my parents & our two girls! Saved every penny & saved nearly 11k in 3 months already had 4k saved! We used a Aussie mortgage broker! We walked into out mortgage debt free which was good but have since done reno's! Brokers are great as they walk you through everything! We still keep in contact with him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post

I do a lot of work with brokers and that sounds like you got the laziest broker ever if they were only putting in 30 minutes of work! All the brokers I know lodge the loans on behalf of the clients, follow up with them and even liaise with solicitors, etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (25-11-2013)