+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it were already frozen on the agreement that it was to be used or we were trying (highly unlikely at this stage we both say were done making babies lol ) then id have no hesitations.

I couldn't and wouldn't take from him on life support etc or after hes dead. Nope couldn't do it. But that's me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would. Dh is in the army and I'm paranoid about him dying or being totally incapacitated before we finish our family. I would have no issues him using a surrogate and my harvested eggs to complete our family.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If DF was in an accident, this would be the last thing on my mind. It's obviously a very personal choice, but if DF passed away and I wanted to give our DS a sibling, I would rather have that sibling with someone else than with his sperm.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't feel comfortable if DF wanted to use my eggs if I had passed away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    No, I wouldn't do it. It's not ethical. In my mind it would be like harvesting someones organs without consent.
    They do this all th time, the family can choose to donate the persons organs.
    If a wife can give her husbands heart to a stranger, why not use his sperm herself?
    I'm neither here nor there about, but thought Id share that perspective

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Mumma For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Mumma View Post
    They do this all th time, the family can choose to donate the persons organs.
    If a wife can give her husbands heart to a stranger, why not use his sperm herself?
    I'm neither here nor there about, but thought Id share that perspective
    Oh now you thrown a spanner in my thoughts! I agree with what you said haha although I'd have to be beyond child bearing years to feel ok with another woman having my husbands children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it had been discussed and agreed on prior, then yes, I would. I have been a single parent, I know I'm capable of it. There is no guarantee that we won't end up single parents anyway, ever. Anything can change, relationships break down, people move away- nothing is ever 100% certain iykwim. A person could do this and repartner later so the child still has a chance of 2 parents, more siblings etc. But it's a question with no one size fits all answer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DH and I started IVF, he had a testicular sperm aspiration which resulted in the freezing of a number of straws of sperm (each straw is enough for one round of IVF). We discussed whether he would be happy for me to continue to use the sperm in the event that he died, and he was ok with that... But, when we spoke to the clinic, they said that he could leave it to me in his will, and I would then legally own it, but that I would not be able to legally use it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's going to be on 60 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    If it had been discussed and agreed on prior, then yes, I would. I have been a single parent, I know I'm capable of it. There is no guarantee that we won't end up single parents anyway, ever. Anything can change, relationships break down, people move away- nothing is ever 100% certain iykwim. A person could do this and repartner later so the child still has a chance of 2 parents, more siblings etc. But it's a question with no one size fits all answer.
    of course anybody can end up a single parent but there is a difference between deciding to create a child as a single parent vs becoming one after the fact. I personally wouldn't choose to become pregnant if I was single - if I end up single after having kids well I'll deal with it but I wouldn't choose it from the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    of course anybody can end up a single parent but there is a difference between deciding to create a child as a single parent vs becoming one after the fact. I personally wouldn't choose to become pregnant if I was single - if I end up single after having kids well I'll deal with it but I wouldn't choose it from the start.
    That's totally fine and your life choice. Other people choose to become single parents via donor sperm, or via adoption, others choose less ethical means (one night stand on O day or similar) and that is their choice. I don't see a problem with the scenario in the OP but I do think some kind of consent before hand is optimal (ethically speaking). For me, if my DH was agreeable to it and the means were there and he passed away, I would seriously consider it. As I said, there's no right answer for everyone, I acknowledge that

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-11-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (17-11-2013),NancyBlackett  (17-11-2013),Purple Lily  (17-11-2013)