+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just made DH answer me whether he would be okay with it just in case this ever because an issue in the future lol..... :-|

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What was his answer? Hubby just woke up to go to the bathroom, his answer was 'it's your choice'.. Maybe I will get a detailed response in the morning when he isn't half asleep.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Provided that it had been explicitly discussed (that we wanted to have children together, not that I would access his sperm post-mortem), then yes. But only if I had been in a long term relationship with the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    Do you know women personally who have done this? Or are you just going by things you've heard. I had never heard of anything like this until today.

Just because you have never heard of something before doesn't mean it hasn't happened before

Yes, I've known a woman and of women who have done this. This procedure is not new. Courts have given permission for such a thing to occur and often in the face of opposition from the deceased's family. The social ramifications though have been huge for these women and I believe this is a factor worth considering.

Just because medical science can do it doesn't mean it should be done.
    Last edited by Caviar; 17-11-2013 at 00:29. Reason: added quote

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I have discussed this at length and if we were still childless and he was to pass away, he would be okay with my doing this and/or using any frozen embryos we had on hand. I would be okay with him using a surrogate to grow the embryos into babies as well, and raising them. Or adopting the embryos out - I'd prefer they weren't destroyed. If he were to pass away at this point, at my age, going down that path would be my only chance to be a mum, and the only chance our embryos would have to live. People can judge all they want, at the end of the day it is your life, your family, and your reproductive choices, and what is right for you and your family may not be right for someone else.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharlie For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (17-11-2013),Chillies  (17-11-2013),KaraB  (17-11-2013),Star Light  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way, totally not fair to the child!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think is an intensely personal thing and I really can't say. But if that's what happened I'd say almost certainly they had already been planning for a baby, perhaps even already undertaking IVF. I really doubt they would take sperm from a man without prior records/proof he would have been willing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If we were ttc at the time then yes.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't think I could. If DH suddenly passed away I think that it would be the furthest thing from my mind and it would add to the grief. I couldn't imagine trying to plan your husbands funeral and harvest his sperm at the same time. It would just feel wrong.

If he was terminally ill I don't think I could do it either. I think from a religious point of view I would accept that that door is closed.

I can however understand the overwhelming need to have kids and to have a piece of a person live on so I can see what drives these decisions and I don't think it is wrong just not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app