+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As for the question posed by the OP, like others I'd probably want to use up any frozen sperm from IVF after DH died, & would be comfortable if he wanted to use a frozen emby (although I don't think he'd want to do this). I wouldn't harvest sperm after his death unless we had been about to start fertility treatment & he'd already consented. I can understand a woman wanting to keep a piece of her husband alive after his death.

I have a question: what happens to sperm from donors after they die? Are sperm banks notified when donors die so they can destroy the sperm?

"...dreaming of a belly full of life..."
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 18-11-2013 at 18:48.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (18-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (18-11-2013),ThreePeasPlease  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    No problem Technically yes I can still use it, as I could theoretically undergo a cycle without exDH's involvement since it's already a fertilized embryo. He couldn't use it unless I died though.

Slightly OT, but I received the storage invoice recently and said to exDH we should discard or donate since we'll now never use it. He's currently refusing to do that, saying 'you never know'..??! Uuumm....yes I do know, so if you want to keep it then you pay for it!
    No, you couldn't use the embryo without your ex's involvement. He would have to provide consent given that your relationship is over and if he refused, you would have to get a Court order in order to proceed. In addition, you would also have to enter into dialogue and perhaps an agreement regarding child support. (I'm assuming you live in Australia. If you don't, please disregard).

Did anyone watch 60 Minutes last night about the original issue - posthumous use of sperm? Did you find your views changing or remaining the same?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did anyone watch the story and has your opinion changed after watching it?

I completely forgot about it! Too many things on my mind at the moment.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby & I chatted about this he asked me would i do it, we already have two girls & we do want one more so if something did happen to hubby I think I would! I think it would help with the grieving process knowing I was doing something he really wanted!! And yes I watched the show! One of the lady's gave birth 12 hrs after her hubby died & her son died 3 days later as he was premmie, she then took his sperm to have a healthy little girl !!
    Last edited by joalisha; 18-11-2013 at 10:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst no I would not take sperm from my dead husband if the man has consented then each to their own.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 18-11-2013 at 18:54. Reason: referring to deleted text

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (18-11-2013),Anjalee  (18-11-2013),BettyW  (18-11-2013),Lincolns mummy  (18-11-2013),LoCo  (18-11-2013),Pilbara  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    No, you couldn't use the embryo without your ex's involvement. He would have to provide consent given that your relationship is over and if he refused, you would have to get a Court order in order to proceed. In addition, you would also have to enter into dialogue and perhaps an agreement regarding child support. (I'm assuming you live in Australia. If you don't, please disregard).

?
    Actually, yes I could. Perhaps it was due to the consent we already gave at the time? Not sure, but Either way they confirmed this to me a month ago when I enquired. They also would not know our relationship was over unless I offered that information.

Its a moot point for us anyway as I'd never do that to exDH, or the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Hubby and I watched the 60 minutes episode together.

With the lady who's hubby died of leukemia, I can sort of understand her using his sperm. They were ttc and their baby was born/died 2 days after the dad

As for the other lady I don't really agree at all. They weren't married, they weren't ttc and there was no mention anywhere of her fiancé approving of this. I feel sorry for her but she just comes across as a sad lady who can't move on. 4 years its been and she is still trying to have a baby with her dead ex-fiances sperm.
    - also I just needed to add I have nothing against non married people having kids at all. In this ladies case I think it's just another factor which indicates the path she is fighting to be on wasn't laid down in cement before her fiancé passed away.

Hubby and I had a chat and we both decided that our preference would be for the other person to move on with their life and potentially have kids with, a new partner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP and I watched it and he was all for me doing that if he passed away. We have two children through IVF and we have frozen embryos stored. I did ask DP how he felt about further children never knowing him if was to pass on but he said our children can tell them about him. I think it's wrong to hold back a womans right to bear a child under any circumstances if both parties have agreed to it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax Tellers Old Lady For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (18-11-2013)

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've removed a statement (and replies) from this thread that is not related to the OP's question as so many members have found it upsetting and insensitive.

If members would like to discuss such a sensitive topic on a parenting forum please start a new thread with a clear WARNING in the title so members can avoid the thread if they wish.
    Last edited by Mod-RaryGirl; 18-11-2013 at 19:03.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (19-11-2013),atomicmama  (18-11-2013),Atropos  (18-11-2013),BH-KatiesMum  (18-11-2013),Jakois  (18-11-2013),Jellyfishie  (18-11-2013),LoCo  (18-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (18-11-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (18-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (19-11-2013),Pesca77  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting point about having the full blood brothers and sisters. That isn't something I had thought of previously.

I'm really bummed I missed it, I wonder if I can find it online?

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.