+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you take sperm from a deceased husband/partner/boyfriend?

So while I was cleaning the house today, I overheard the TV advertising for a story on a lady who took sperm from her deceased husband to be artificially inseminated so she could have his child. *forgive me if some details are wrong, I was only half listening while mopping the floors this morning.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? Could you do it? Would you do it? Do you think it is a lovely legacy? Do you think it is unfair on the child knowing that it will be growing up with no possible chance of meeting their biological father?

I really don't know how I feel about it, I have been thinking about it throughout the day and I still don't know how I feel. I am hoping that hearing other people's opinions (which I'm hoping will be different and offer me different perspectives) will help me decide.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Not without prior consent from the deceased.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (17-11-2013),CleverClogs  (17-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (17-11-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If we had stored it while he was alive and consenting, perhaps I would use it but if he was comatose or brain dead, no, I don't belive it is ethical. If he had died, I can't see how it would be possible, but still no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But what if it is something you have never spoken about? It's not something I ever thought to raise with hubby and I haven't had a chance to discuss it with him yet either as he worked today. I'm interested to hear how he feels.

I think it's different in our situation as we already have a daughter together. Perhaps if we were trying to conceive or were childless I would be more inclined to consider something like this.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.
    Last edited by dee1; 16-11-2013 at 23:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe if it was my husband or something along those lines.

If he donated the sperm or it was frozen then he would have to have given his permission at some stage. I'm sure he would be more happy for his wife to use his sperm rather then someone else's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    But what if it is something you have never spoken about? It's not something I ever thought to raise with hubby and I haven't had a chance to discuss it with him yet either as he worked today. I'm interested to hear how he feels.

I think it's different in our situation as we already have a daughter together. Perhaps if we were trying to conceive or were childless I would be more inclined to do something like this.

No, I wouldn't do it. It's not ethical. In my mind it would be like harvesting someones organs without consent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For what other reason would someone have their sperm frozen, then for a future plan to conceive??

What a horrible situation to be in! Personally, I think I would (particularly if that's what you had planned to do anyway).

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    I think it's different in our situation as we already have a daughter together. Perhaps if we were trying to conceive or were childless I would be more inclined to do something like this.
    I would still have to say no. I would not want to have an egg harvested post mortem so that my husband could make a child after my death. I think that we can have access to too much technology, and conceiving a child to someone who has already died does not seem fair to the child and I think it would be detrimental to the greiving process.

For what other reason would someone have their sperm frozen, then for a future plan to conceive??
    Some people who have been diagnosed with a disease such as cancer will freeze sperm or eggs because the treatment can cause infertility, and they still want the option of having a child after they have been sucessfully treated.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 16-11-2013 at 23:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't do it. I think it's an incredibly selfish thing to do. And I note that women who have done it no good has come from it. I note that this issue is being reviewed by the Federal Government as the ethics of this practice is being questioned and I feel quite rightly so.

If the man is dead, let him be. If he is alive, by all means let him take part in fathering and then parenting the child. People seem to focus on getting the child and not much about what happens afterwards.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I couldn't do it. I think it's an incredibly selfish thing to do. And I note that women who have done it no good has come from it. I note that this issue is being reviewed by the Federal Government as the ethics of this practice is being questioned and I feel quite rightly so.

If the man is dead, let him be. If he is alive, by all means let him take part in fathering and then parenting the child. People seem to focus on getting the child and not much about what happens afterwards.
    Do you know women personally who have done this? Or are you just going by things you've heard. I had never heard of anything like this until today.