+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many days to take antibiotics

Hi. DD (2.5 years) has had a uti which was confirmed via urine test. The GP prescribed antibiotics and said for her to take 7.5 mls straight away then another 7.5 mls before bed and then continue for the for the following days 5 mls three times a day.

So all is well and she started Tuesday afternoon... its now saturday evening and I think there is enough left in the bottle for tomorrow. So she has been taking it for 5 days.

Do I just stop after its all gone, or do I fill the repeat prescription (I only realised there was a repeat today). She seems well and her wee no longer smells etc but I am unsure whether I am meant to give her the next lot as well or whether it was a spare? The practice closed today at lunch and isnt open until Monday morning...

What do you think?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would finish the course you're on until the bottle is empty ( sounds like that correlates with the 5 days?) but I wouldn't get the repeat if she isn't showing any further symptoms.

Good luck x.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just finish the current bottle and keep the repeat as UTIs can quickly come back. In the meantime put her on inner health plus to help get her gut bacteria back in balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always finish the course. Otherwise any left over bacteria that have been exposed to the antibiotic but not died MAY become resistant and multiply. Then you get antibiotic resistant bacteria.
    Glad your little one is feeling better. I loathe using antibiotics but yeh we always finish the course and then back up with probiotics for at least a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. So just to clarify - the course is just the one bottle (6 days). I will also get some probiotics. Good idea.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaAndToast For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (17-11-2013)