+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A cradle hold will always have the chin to chest issue and having used that position with my babe when she was a newborn (before I knew better) I can confirm that it looks and feels wrong! Tummy to tummy is fine for supporting their neck, you will have the baby up really high on you, with their head up sort of on your collarbone. With their head turned to one side and the top rail of the sling up to the base of their head. There are some great tutorials on YouTube and I actually just watched a great one this morning on using a ring sling with a newborn. If you search PaxBaby on YouTube the most recent added video is that. She is using a woven ring sling which is a much more supportive fabric but it's the same idea. It shows you a trick to do with the excess fabric where you roll it up and tuck it under the top rail of fabric, providing extra support for baby's neck - so that could be exactly what you're after!

I had a breeze baby when DD was about 4-5 months old and while it was great in the water and did the job, I didn't find it as comfortable or supportive as other ring slings I've used. But I am only in Sydney, so the heat is not a huge concern for me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-11-2013),Gandalf  (17-11-2013),M2O84  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There's lots of styles of carries for ring slings, most often the "wrong" ones you see are newborns in the cradle position. There are loads of tutorials on youtube to help show how to use them.
    Who needs a tutorial. If I can talky wife into another or we have an 'accident' I'll ask you.

You seem to have your finger on the pulse

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M2O84 View Post
    Okay so now I've been looking at the baby breeze slings, for those ladies that have used the baby breeze slings with the tummy to tummy position it says it's suitable from birth onwards, but would it give bub enough neck support? It also says that you can use it for the cradle hold position, is that a safe position to use with this type of sling or is there going to be the same chin to chest issue? I'd go for a more structured carrier but am worried about bub getting too hot in it during summer and I need something that is light and easy to store away when out and about with bub & my DS who will be 20months when bub arrives (as I only have a 1 seater pram as cannot justify the cost of getting a 2 seater pram at this stage).
    I personally found the baby breeze so so uncomfortable. It may be different with a newborn but I carried my 4 month old in one for about a month and then sold it! Unless you're using it wet at the beach often, or in the shower, they're awfully uncomfortable. You may find a linen ring sling may be better for hot weather, more comfy and squishy for your squishy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I personally found the baby breeze so so uncomfortable. It may be different with a newborn but I carried my 4 month old in one for about a month and then sold it! Unless you're using it wet at the beach often, or in the shower, they're awfully uncomfortable. You may find a linen ring sling may be better for hot weather, more comfy and squishy for your squishy!
    Although linen needs to be well worn in before its comfy (not difficult to do, but needs to be a consideration for someone who doesn't know much about wraps)

OP, I don't use RS's much, I'm more of a longer wrap girl
    However, didymos alpaca/cotton blends are absolutely *perfect* and delicious in hot wearer with a small baby
    Not as great with a toddler, but even a RS will last you at least 12months before it gets too diggy

I know there's other good blends, but that's what I found best when my friends had newbies last summer, and what I'll be using with our squish this summer :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

M2O84  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved my bubba moe. I still carry my almost 3 year old on my back, though hes getting abit heavy now.

http://www.bubbamoe.com.au/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I loved my bubba moe. I still carry my almost 3 year old on my back, though hes getting abit heavy now.

http://www.bubbamoe.com.au/
    Just be conscious of this type with a newborn. Their site advises the cradle position which is not safe for newborns as it doesn't meet TICKS guidelines

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M2O84 View Post
    Okay so now I've been looking at the baby breeze slings, for those ladies that have used the baby breeze slings with the tummy to tummy position it says it's suitable from birth onwards, but would it give bub enough neck support? It also says that you can use it for the cradle hold position, is that a safe position to use with this type of sling or is there going to be the same chin to chest issue? I'd go for a more structured carrier but am worried about bub getting too hot in it during summer and I need something that is light and easy to store away when out and about with bub & my DS who will be 20months when bub arrives (as I only have a 1 seater pram as cannot justify the cost of getting a 2 seater pram at this stage).
    I used it in a tummy to tummy position and there is enough width that you certainly get the correct amount of back and neck coverage.

I used to cap the shoulder strap over my shoulder and that helped with the comfort factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Just be conscious of this type with a newborn. Their site advises the cradle position which is not safe for newborns as it doesn't meet TICKS guidelines
    Can i ask why, i carried both my newborns in it in the cradle position, in fact they were in the sing more than they werent for the first few weeks...Dec and Jan bubs too??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Can i ask why, i carried both my newborns in it in the cradle position, in fact they were in the sing more than they werent for the first few weeks...Dec and Jan bubs too??
    The cradle position in a sling is considered unsafe because it doesn't allow you to put them in a position that meets TICKS guidelines:

T: Tight- the baby sling should be tight around your baby
    I: In View at all Times- the sling or your clothes should not cover the baby’s face. You wouldn’t put your baby to sleep in a cot with a blanket over their head: you wouldn’t do it in a sling either.
    C: Close Enough To Kiss – your baby should be high enough for you to bend your head and kiss his/her head.
    K: Keep the Chin off the Chest- your baby should not be slumped down into the carrier with his/her neck bent over on itself.
    S: Supported Back- your baby’s spine should be supported in a natural shape.

K is particularly important for this position- when a newborn has their chin to their chest they are at risk of obstruction to their breathing. There were some infant deaths associated with slings that held babies in this position. I believe there is talk of bringing in regulations regarding baby slings here.

Thanks
    Reviews