+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked
    972
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A cradle hold will always have the chin to chest issue and having used that position with my babe when she was a newborn (before I knew better) I can confirm that it looks and feels wrong! Tummy to tummy is fine for supporting their neck, you will have the baby up really high on you, with their head up sort of on your collarbone. With their head turned to one side and the top rail of the sling up to the base of their head. There are some great tutorials on YouTube and I actually just watched a great one this morning on using a ring sling with a newborn. If you search PaxBaby on YouTube the most recent added video is that. She is using a woven ring sling which is a much more supportive fabric but it's the same idea. It shows you a trick to do with the excess fabric where you roll it up and tuck it under the top rail of fabric, providing extra support for baby's neck - so that could be exactly what you're after!

    I had a breeze baby when DD was about 4-5 months old and while it was great in the water and did the job, I didn't find it as comfortable or supportive as other ring slings I've used. But I am only in Sydney, so the heat is not a huge concern for me.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (17-11-2013),Gandalf  (17-11-2013),M2O84  (17-11-2013)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Jerilderie
    Posts
    1,050
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked
    519
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There's lots of styles of carries for ring slings, most often the "wrong" ones you see are newborns in the cradle position. There are loads of tutorials on youtube to help show how to use them.
    Who needs a tutorial. If I can talky wife into another or we have an 'accident' I'll ask you.

    You seem to have your finger on the pulse


    Dave The Turning Cowboy

    turning wood into art

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (17-11-2013)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,854
    Thanks
    755
    Thanked
    724
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M2O84 View Post
    Okay so now I've been looking at the baby breeze slings, for those ladies that have used the baby breeze slings with the tummy to tummy position it says it's suitable from birth onwards, but would it give bub enough neck support? It also says that you can use it for the cradle hold position, is that a safe position to use with this type of sling or is there going to be the same chin to chest issue? I'd go for a more structured carrier but am worried about bub getting too hot in it during summer and I need something that is light and easy to store away when out and about with bub & my DS who will be 20months when bub arrives (as I only have a 1 seater pram as cannot justify the cost of getting a 2 seater pram at this stage).
    I personally found the baby breeze so so uncomfortable. It may be different with a newborn but I carried my 4 month old in one for about a month and then sold it! Unless you're using it wet at the beach often, or in the shower, they're awfully uncomfortable. You may find a linen ring sling may be better for hot weather, more comfy and squishy for your squishy!

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,395
    Thanks
    5,361
    Thanked
    892
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I personally found the baby breeze so so uncomfortable. It may be different with a newborn but I carried my 4 month old in one for about a month and then sold it! Unless you're using it wet at the beach often, or in the shower, they're awfully uncomfortable. You may find a linen ring sling may be better for hot weather, more comfy and squishy for your squishy!
    Although linen needs to be well worn in before its comfy (not difficult to do, but needs to be a consideration for someone who doesn't know much about wraps)

    OP, I don't use RS's much, I'm more of a longer wrap girl
    However, didymos alpaca/cotton blends are absolutely *perfect* and delicious in hot wearer with a small baby
    Not as great with a toddler, but even a RS will last you at least 12months before it gets too diggy

    I know there's other good blends, but that's what I found best when my friends had newbies last summer, and what I'll be using with our squish this summer :-)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

    M2O84  (18-11-2013)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I loved my bubba moe. I still carry my almost 3 year old on my back, though hes getting abit heavy now.

    http://www.bubbamoe.com.au/

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I loved my bubba moe. I still carry my almost 3 year old on my back, though hes getting abit heavy now.

    http://www.bubbamoe.com.au/
    Just be conscious of this type with a newborn. Their site advises the cradle position which is not safe for newborns as it doesn't meet TICKS guidelines

  10. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by M2O84 View Post
    Okay so now I've been looking at the baby breeze slings, for those ladies that have used the baby breeze slings with the tummy to tummy position it says it's suitable from birth onwards, but would it give bub enough neck support? It also says that you can use it for the cradle hold position, is that a safe position to use with this type of sling or is there going to be the same chin to chest issue? I'd go for a more structured carrier but am worried about bub getting too hot in it during summer and I need something that is light and easy to store away when out and about with bub & my DS who will be 20months when bub arrives (as I only have a 1 seater pram as cannot justify the cost of getting a 2 seater pram at this stage).
    I used it in a tummy to tummy position and there is enough width that you certainly get the correct amount of back and neck coverage.

    I used to cap the shoulder strap over my shoulder and that helped with the comfort factor.

  11. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Just be conscious of this type with a newborn. Their site advises the cradle position which is not safe for newborns as it doesn't meet TICKS guidelines
    Can i ask why, i carried both my newborns in it in the cradle position, in fact they were in the sing more than they werent for the first few weeks...Dec and Jan bubs too??

  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Can i ask why, i carried both my newborns in it in the cradle position, in fact they were in the sing more than they werent for the first few weeks...Dec and Jan bubs too??
    The cradle position in a sling is considered unsafe because it doesn't allow you to put them in a position that meets TICKS guidelines:

    T: Tight- the baby sling should be tight around your baby
    I: In View at all Times- the sling or your clothes should not cover the baby’s face. You wouldn’t put your baby to sleep in a cot with a blanket over their head: you wouldn’t do it in a sling either.
    C: Close Enough To Kiss – your baby should be high enough for you to bend your head and kiss his/her head.
    K: Keep the Chin off the Chest- your baby should not be slumped down into the carrier with his/her neck bent over on itself.
    S: Supported Back- your baby’s spine should be supported in a natural shape.

    K is particularly important for this position- when a newborn has their chin to their chest they are at risk of obstruction to their breathing. There were some infant deaths associated with slings that held babies in this position. I believe there is talk of bringing in regulations regarding baby slings here.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts


 

Similar Threads

  1. any recommendations for a baby carrier/ sling
    By acerbaby in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 15-03-2013, 14:09
  2. Baby sling recommendations
    By Oopadayz in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-02-2013, 20:50
  3. Sling/wrap for BIG baby while pregnant, HELP PLEASE!
    By RourkesMumma in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 11:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue Bank
Cryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 12 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian families. To discuss the benefits of banking your baby's cord blood & tissue stem cells call us on 1800 220 410.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!