+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default baby sling recommendations

Hello I'm looking at purchasing a baby sling for a newborn baby, what types would you recommend? I'm looking at maybe either the mini monkey baby sling or nurture sling. I want something light and breathable for summer so bub doesn't get too hot in it and easy to put on and take off, the ring slings just look too complicated and I don't like the excess material that hangs off them.

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its been a while since I've used one, but I had a peanut shell...I think it was called? You can choose from heaps of fabrics and sizes and chiose the weight of the material for summer or winter.

After my kids grew out of them I passed them on and that mum said it was the best thing she had been given!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The minimonkey sling is not an optimal carrier- unfortunately this type of sling makes it very hard to babywear safely, especially with a newborn.
    T – Tight
    I – In sight
    C – Chin off chest
    K – Close enough to Kiss
    S – Supported back

The nurture sling looks much the same. I had a similar sling when my bub was a newby, it was useless, nearly impossible to get baby in a safe position and keep them there. They are ok for older bubs for hip carries.

I know you aren't over keen on a ring sling but there are some out there that don't have the huge tail. I found my envirobaby organic cotton good for a newby and not very bulky at all. Ring slings are really very easy to use and much easier to keep baby in a safe position. You could also look at a sleepy wrap or a hug a bub wrap.
    If you prefer something more structured, you can't go past a manduca - they have a built in newborn insert too.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-11-2013),HippyGirl85  (17-11-2013),Pesca77  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I have to say I would avoid slings like the Mini Monkey. I had one with DS1 and it was terrible - you can essentially only adjust the height you are carrying bub - you can't get them in a nice tight upright position. You will also find with the Mini Monkey type carrier that you just about always have to have a hand on bub to stop them bouncing around as you walk/ bend over etc, which kind of defeats the purpose of a carrier!

I would try a ring sling - with a bit of practice they are very easy, and very adjustable so you can get a nice snug fit. I got one when DS2 was about 8 weeks old and it was fantastic. The extra material I just loop around the ring a few times and it doesn't really hand much lower than my hip.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-11-2013),Gandalf  (16-11-2013),Pesca77  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ring slings are pretty easy once you get the hang of them, and a nice linen sling would be really cool for the summer.

There are lots of facebook groups about babywearing and a great buy, swap, sell page so you can pick up slings and wraps pretty cheap, and they are a great source of information

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a ring sling as well. It took some getting used to but now we love it. DS is 4 months old and it really takes the weight off when carrying him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies that's good info to know, I will look further into some of the other types of slings available including the ring slings. I am in QLD so it will be a very hot summer so something light and breathable would be ideal. With the ring slings do they do up pretty tight? I'd be a bit worried about them becoming loose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, the weight of bub keeps them very tight. I've owned 4 ring slings including a mesh one (breeze baby sling- good for hot weather and in water) and never had them become loose

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I used a breeze baby sling in Qld summer when ds1 was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M2O84 View Post
    Thank you ladies that's good info to know, I will look further into some of the other types of slings available including the ring slings. I am in QLD so it will be a very hot summer so something light and breathable would be ideal. With the ring slings do they do up pretty tight? I'd be a bit worried about them becoming loose?
    I've never had an issue with my ring sling becoming loose or slipping - as Atropos mentioned, the weight of bub keeps them tight