+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dummies/pacifiers

Is it ok for me to use a dummy every so often to sooth my newborn bub after other attempts to settle do not work? Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Use it whenever you want, my son loves it and works a treat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish my dd would take a dummy :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 2 week old. I wasn't going to use one but at 2am one night last week when she just wouldn't settle I used one and phew! She took it!
    Talk about sanity saver! I'm not using it all the time and I took it out once she was asleep but I figure it's gotta be better than the pair of us stressed out in the middle of the night!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

townsvillenat  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, its just that ive read that dummies
    Arnt good for there mouth structural development n growth?

Also how do u keep ur new borns awake during day so they sleep at nigh?
    Need help!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use them but not in the cot for sleeping. I don't want to be having put it back in at night. Handy for grizzly times.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I am definitely pro-dummy. Whatever helps, especially when they're that little.

Congratulations on your little one! It'll take a little time for your bub to sort out night and day, but some things that help are: walks/getting out into the sun or having curtains and blinds open during the day; have some story time, singing, playing whatever between naps in daytime; keep the room dark and minimal interaction with your baby overnight ie feed and nappy change without any talking, eye contact or play overnight. Try not to fall into the habit of keeping the house silent when your baby is sleeping, otherwise you may find he/she will wake up at the slightest noise in the future.

Good luck, and hang in there!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I am definitely pro-dummy. Whatever helps, especially when they're that little.

Congratulations on your little one! It'll take a little time for your bub to sort out night and day, but some things that help are: walks/getting out into the sun or having curtains and blinds open during the day; have some story time, singing, playing whatever between naps in daytime; keep the room dark and minimal interaction with your baby overnight ie feed and nappy change without any talking, eye contact or play overnight. Try not to fall into the habit of keeping the house silent when your baby is sleeping, otherwise you may find he/she will wake up at the slightest noise in the future.

Good luck, and hang in there!
    Great advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by townsvillenat View Post
    Hi all, its just that ive read that dummies
    Arnt good for there mouth structural development n growth?

Also how do u keep ur new borns awake during day so they sleep at nigh?
    Need help!!!

Hi there congratulations on bub!

Newborns literally sleep nearly all the time. Sleep breeds sleep too. So during the day your bub will eat, "play" for a bit then sleep again. And do this over and over haha. So no need to try and keep them awake.

As pp has said though, bubs can struggle with night and day for a little bit. So it might take them a little to start sleeping longer stretches at night. Even then, most bubs will wake up every 2-3 hours for a feed anyway.

Enjoy your new addition
    Last edited by Anjalee; 16-11-2013 at 12:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps you could try a routine to help establish over a period of weeks a sleep time and an awake time. Very new borns often have a lot of trouble settling back to sleep and then just drop off to sleep at other times. They do get better at going back to sleep after a night feed.

Sometimes they need to be woken up every 3 hours or so during the day to get them to feed during the day, rather than sleep a lot during the day and then be awake a lot at night.

I used a dummy on one of my twins after about 2-3 weeks of age (avoided it earlier to reduce potential poor latch technique). He'd just latch at the breast, do a suck or two and drift off to sleep without feeding, so I knew he was just after some comfort.

Then I just used the dummy to stretch him to his next feed, rather than aid him to sleep. After a routine started to develop, he didn't grizzle much and so I didn't need to give it to him for awhile. Now he's not very interested in taking the dummy at all (his twin brother never would take a dummy). It is a bit of a pity he's no longer interested, as sometimes it's handy to have another tool to settle them, especially when there's 2 of them!

Mostly I didn't want to have to be tending to a child that became frantic due to losing his dummy and then not going back to sleep. I was preferring only to use it when I needed to tend to his twin and didn't have another pair of hands, or when I wanted to stretch him out a little longer to his next feed during the day.

My 3yo we didn't give a dummy to until he started to suck his thumb. Mostly he just used it when he was sick or not at home for a sleep. He didn't get to have it overnight and wasn't so attached that it was a problem to get him to give it up around 15 months.
    Last edited by tap; 16-11-2013 at 11:17.