On the night of Monday the 11th of November I went to bed feeling a little queasy, and woke up a few hours later with vomiting and diarrhoea. I thought I had gastro, but a niggling part of me considered maybe it was my body clearing itself out before labour. I didn't think much of it until the next day when I went to the toilet and had a bloody show. Bloody mucus continued alongside 10-12 minute apart contractions and and I woke up at 4am on the Wednesday experiencing contractions around 8 minutes apart.
By then I was running on very little sleep!
On Wednesday we decided to walk around and hopefully encourage more regular and intense contractions... It worked. By that night I was having 5 minutely contractions and at 2:30pm we decided to head to the birth centre.
Upon examination, I was found to already be 5cm and full effaced. I was stoked. We called our other birth support people- my mil and our doula - to come.
I had an active labour, using the bath and shower and fitball to great abandon. But at 9am I had another exam and even though I had dilated to 6, nearly 7cm, bub was still quite high as my membranes hadn't ruptured and it was a tough sac full of fluid. They suggested AROM which we declined but said would think about down the track. Well, down the track we agreed to give it a go, and I did feel bub thud into my pelvis immediately as I was standing up. Contractions ramped up immediately and were more regular and intense. I felt for sure I was close when I had an unbearable urge to push. I asked for an exam because I didn't want to push if I wasn't ready and much to my dismay, 12 hrs after getting to the birth centre, it was revealed that I was still at 6cm and my cervix was swollen. It was suggested I consider a transfer because at that stage, labour was regressing.
I was spent and exhausted and devastated. I couldn't find the energy to keep going indefinitely. I wanted my baby in my arms!!! I agreed to a transfer, a syntocinon drip to augment the process, and an epidural. It was relief, although I was upset I had had to go there - I was so determined to have a drug free birth but I was not prepared for how exhausting labouring is without any time to rest up beforehand due to prelabour.
Once the synto was in, everything started happening and less than 2 hours later, an exam showed I was 10cm and bub's head was right there!
I pushed our baby boy out in 6 contractions, he was a compound presentation with both hands by his face as had been the case at every ultrasound to that date!!
I had a deep 2nd degree year which was stitched (my goodness it hurts a lot!!! I am swollen beyond belief!!!) but most incredibly, I had a beautiful baby boy!
Dp caught him as he was born at 6:49pm, a whole 50 hrs (and a bit) after my first regular contraction, and placed him on my chest where we stayed for an hour and a half, and he had a forty minute feed and lots of kisses.
I don't regret the birth I wanted or the birth I had. Maybe I will one day, but I don't think I will. Every choice I made was informed and my own, and ultimately led me to the beautiful little human lying in the crib next to me. It was completely worth every single thing sacrificed to get to this point.
Baby's name: Toby Mark
Born at 6:49pm, 14/11/13
Weight: 3335 grams, length: 50cm
ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384514194.617230.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384514213.079203.jpg
ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384514236.258873.jpg
ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384514253.533235.jpg