+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Asylum seeker separate from baby

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...h&mchpost=pos4

I'm not sure what to think about this.

I just wanted to share this to see what others opinions are.

Nice to see Abbott regrets it happening........ but also passes the blame back to the asylum seeker.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is abhorrent. I don't care if she came by boat, camel or a flying broom stick.

What an absolute disgrace.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (22-11-2013),Witwicky  (25-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm torn.

As the article said: non asylum seeker Mothers dont stay 'with' their babies in SCN either. And after a certain number of days don't mums get sent home and have to visit their bubs during the day and go home at night?
    - totally happy to be corrected on this if needed.

That being said... Boy this poor mum. If something happens you at least want the option of popping in to see your bub whenever you want. How would the mum go with establishing breastfeeding when she's being sent to the detention centre each night? Does she have access to a private room with pumping faculties?

Sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm torn.

As the article said: non asylum seeker Mothers dont stay 'with' their babies in SCN either. And after a certain number of days don't mums get sent home and have to visit their bubs during the day and go home at night?
    - totally happy to be corrected on this if needed.

That being said... Boy this poor mum. If something happens you at least want the option of popping in to see your bub whenever you want. How would the mum go with establishing breastfeeding when she's being sent to the detention centre each night? Does she have access to a private room with pumping faculties?

Sad.
    I get this too. I agree that the missing part for someone being sent back to detention is the option of appropriate access. In this situation there should be options for community placement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she was allowed access from 10:00am - 4:00pm and the hospital usually allows mothers to visit 24 hours.

----------------------------------------------
    "A spokesman for Mr Morrison yesterday said doctors at the hospital had advised that it is common for mothers not to stay overnight because of bed restrictions.

But in a statement to ABC's AM program, the Mater Hospital suggested the mother should have been allowed to visit her child whenever she wanted.

The hospital says it encourages new mothers to be involved in the baby's care wherever possible to help establish a strong bond, and does not place restrictions on visiting hours.
    Link

-----------------------------------------------

I also believe that they are planning on sending her and her family back to Nauru when the baby is discharged.

ETA Scott Morrison said, "if and when she is in a fit state to return to Nauru or Manus Island, and that will be assessed by doctors, then that's what will occur."
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 15-11-2013 at 19:35. Reason: adding quote and link

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1234Guest For This Useful Post:

EvilWombatQueen  (15-11-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My initial reaction to this was just another reason to want to punch Abbott in the nose. However, the media have not made it clear if the mother was given any less access than any other new mother.

If the mother has had her access restricted in any way (including proximity at night time) that differs from a mother that does not happen to be seeking asylum then it's absolutely appalling. Actually it would be beyond appalling. It would be cruel, callous and contemptible.

And why does the government keep banging on that they are 'illegals' when they have done nothing illegal?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    KJ2010 updated her post after you posted, Busy-Bee, to include a quote and link that shows the mother was given far less access than most mothers would have.

I think the Abbott government has finally crossed the line from uncaring to evil.

“It doesn’t matter how much education you’ve had, it doesn’t matter whether you’ve come from Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, anywhere else, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a child, it doesn’t matter whether you’re pregnant, it doesn’t matter whether you’re a woman, it doesn’t matter whether you’re an unaccompanied minor, it doesn’t matter if you have a health condition, if you’re fit enough to get on a boat then you can expect you’re fit enough to end up in offshore processing,” he said.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...aby-separation

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvilWombatQueen For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013),Busy-Bee  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And these people call themselves Christians?

I started a thread about this government, but I have so much to say and I think people will get sick of me bumping the thread all the time. I think my fb friends are sick of me!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384510090.115760.jpg

When's the next election?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384510109.020653.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (15-11-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-11-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    So we now have a government in power that believes it is more important to keep an asylum seeker who has just given birth under lock and key, than it is that she is given access to her newborn and more importantly, that a newborn is given access to its mother.

Thanks for that LNP voters, thanks.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013),dancingchipmunk  (15-11-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    correct me if im wrong but when you have a baby and it needs to go to SCN etc aren't you discharged when you are ready and you visit as much as you want/need to? I have never heard of a mum staying in hospital whilst her baby was in the SCU /NICU unless the mum had complications from the birth.This was what I was told 16 years ago when I had to go thru NICU prior to my prem baby being born.. so im confused.. the mum is saying she wasn't allowed to stay the night whilst her baby was in hospital even though she had been discharged and that's an issue? I thought it was the normal thing.... I think its the media sensationalising it