+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Somehow I don't think we can bulk up on prescription only medication when you haven't even seen a doctor and been prescribed it. But I'l l'll be sure to keep it in mind next time one of the kids needs to go to emergency at 3 in the morning.
    When that happened were you so tired it felt like you were drunk? If not then don't worry im not talking about you. If you were then you should have called a taxi or an ambulance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    When that happened were you so tired it felt like you were drunk? If not then don't worry im not talking about you. If you were then you should have called a taxi or an ambulance.
    I don't think it's necessarily that you feel drunk, more that you have the reflexes and ability to focus as someone who is at 0.05 IYKWIM. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's where the drunk comparison comes into it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    VP - you cannot call and ambulance for things like strep throat. You just can't, no matter what you think. That is tying up essential services for someone else that may really need it who might die without it. And I assure you, if paramedics heard you suggesting things like that, they'd be ****ed. You may have after hour doctors where you are, but I assure you - that just isn't the case for lots of people who don't live in cities.

Re feeling drunk. I have never felt drunk when tired. I feel tired when I am tired. Am I the only one who feels totally different to being drunk when tired? Personally for me, feeling drunk feels far more fun that being tired.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think there is a difference between tiredness and fatigue, I think the lines get blurred between the two and I think it is probably common to think you are tired when you are actually fatigued.

I've driven once where I felt I was too tired/fatigued. I never have done it again because it was really scary. I didn't fall asleep or anything, but I just knew that my response times were impacted and had to drive with the window down etc.

I drive tired every day though, I've been tired for about 4.5 years straight. There really is no way around that. In a perfect world we would all have great support networks so we wouldn't have to do things like driving when tired. But the reality is we don't have those networks, and life goes on regardless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I'm really sleep deprived as opposed to just deprived I feel very much like I would the day after drinking ( when I assume alcohol is still in your system )

I know for me that when I've had to do an emergency room dash adrenalin seems to kick in & I am WIDE awake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you can be exhausted and even tired, without being mentally impaired... I'm a single parent so not a day has gone by since DS was born that I haven't driven I think, even though I've been exhausted at times. I was getting up 3-4 times a night to BF, yet although i was so tired for so many months, I never actually felt like my brain was impaired, my mind was still working, I had my wits about me. I certainly didn't feel like I feel after only one drink (even just one wine effects me slightly) When i know i should not drive. The two are vastly different to me.

I think it's very individual. You know those people who fall asleep sitting up, or at their desk at work, or just wherever? I'm not one of those people, no matter how tired I am. Some people just nod off rather easily, and those people aren't necessarily parents of newborns (or young kids).

I also think it depends where you're driving. Driver fatigue happens mostly on open roads, out of town, where very little concentration occurs due to long stretches of cruising, and not by tired parents running around town doing chores. That's what I associate driver fatigue with.

If I didn't have my wits about me, I would not drive. Full-stop. But I've been very tired as a SM yet I've never felt I didn't have my wits about me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Reading this thread has made me glad that I don't drive. I don't have to make the decision about driving tired because driving isn't an option for me. I have to find other ways and plan ahead whether I'm tired or not. I'm sure driving would make my life lot easier but I probably won't be driving until the kids are older and sleeping through. I don't want to learn while I am tired.

I have been a passenger with drivers who are so tired they should not be driving. My mum is the worst and too many times she has been lucky she hasn't crashed. She has pulled over to sleep during many drives and I think she should really work on sleeping more because it isn't safe for her or others.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    .... I'm going to surprise you all and be hardline with this one. I don't think there is any excuse for driving when you are so extremely fatigued you have the equivalent of a 0.05+ blood alcohol level. You are basically putting innocent people's lives at risk for your own personal convenience and that is not something you have the right to do.

There are plenty of alternatives for 99.9% of scenarios. It just takes some self reflection, brainstorming, creativity, thinking outside of the box and ability to have some perspective/not panic when something 'important' gets postponed.
    - do bulk shops (stock up for a few weeks/month at a time).
    - online grocery deliveries
    - keep longlife milk in the cupboard
    - have something other than bread or toast for brekky
    - catch a bus
    - walk
    - tell your hubby to pull their finger out and pick up milk on the way home/push for time off during the day to help with that appointment
    - change that appointment
    - call a friend to help
    - just stay home
    - get a taxi (discount vouchers are available to people in certain situations)
    - catch the free courtesy bus to the local club for 'lunch' then do a runner when you get there
    - go to bed at 8pm when bub does, so even if your sleep is broken you can still get a decent amount. Stuff the housework and get take-away for dinner or have tinned soup
    - have a back up plan for getting kids to school (walk, bus, carer, friend, other mum) or arrange to get work sent to the house. Ask the school for help if it is an ongoing problem.
    I must have missed the bit about being so tires it compared with being over 0.05. Remembering that for many years .08 was the limit. - personally I've never been over the limit as I hardly drink.

Much of this could not be done in some country locations.

I'm the only driver in my household. No taxi's.

Fortunately I live in town (of 800) and most if the basics are here but ....

Online shopping. Pfffft be nice if they delivered here
    Call a friend. Most things out of town require a 300 km round trip
    Walk, bus .... Not likely. Walked home from neighbouring small town once when car was playing up. Took me 6 hours.

Free courtesy bus, used to be one to the pub - never used it

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art