+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Somehow I don't think we can bulk up on prescription only medication when you haven't even seen a doctor and been prescribed it. But I'l l'll be sure to keep it in mind next time one of the kids needs to go to emergency at 3 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    .... I'm going to surprise you all and be hardline with this one. I don't think there is any excuse for driving when you are so extremely fatigued you have the equivalent of a 0.05+ blood alcohol level. You are basically putting innocent people's lives at risk for your own personal convenience and that is not something you have the right to do.

There are plenty of alternatives for 99.9% of scenarios. It just takes some self reflection, brainstorming, creativity, thinking outside of the box and ability to have some perspective/not panic when something 'important' gets postponed.
    - do bulk shops (stock up for a few weeks/month at a time).
    - online grocery deliveries
    - keep longlife milk in the cupboard
    - have something other than bread or toast for brekky
    - catch a bus
    - walk
    - tell your hubby to pull their finger out and pick up milk on the way home/push for time off during the day to help with that appointment
    - change that appointment
    - call a friend to help
    - just stay home
    - get a taxi (discount vouchers are available to people in certain situations)
    - catch the free courtesy bus to the local club for 'lunch' then do a runner when you get there
    - go to bed at 8pm when bub does, so even if your sleep is broken you can still get a decent amount. Stuff the housework and get take-away for dinner or have tinned soup
    - have a back up plan for getting kids to school (walk, bus, carer, friend, other mum) or arrange to get work sent to the house. Ask the school for help if it is an ongoing problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I have driven while seriously sleep deprived. I went for months on less than 4 broken hours a night. I had appointments across town to get to, work to go to. I even would drive to "avoidable" things like play dates. Perhaps I shouldn't have but if I had been unable to drive I would have most definitely gone insane as I was battling PND also.

I think when you're that tired you actually don't do a good risk assessment necessarily. I just thought sleep deprivation was part of being a parent and I should mutter "this shall pass" over and over again and get on with life.
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 17-11-2013 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't remember anyone saying that they would drive if they were so fatigued they were going to have a snooze on the way. I read lots of people who say that they have to get on with life even if they are tired because their kids wake them up. World of difference.
    I agree.

I think this thread is completely out of context.

Ive been exhausted and done some weird things, forgotten things etc. but I've never fallen asleep.

Definitely worlds a part. A good way to pull a straw man and firmly point the finger at parents expecting them to be perfect when a child is harmed accidentally.

Id like to say - there but for the grace of Jebus go I. (I'm not really religious so I switched it up a litt).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-11-2013),Gandalf  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    havent read everything. But I find it hilarious that on here its absolutely abhorrent to leave your kids in the car while paying for fuel 15 metres away. But its perfectly OK to drive tired.. because 'it cant be helped' lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (17-11-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post

Id like to say - there but for the grace of Jebus go I. (I'm not really religious so I switched it up a litt).
    Yeah.

These type situations really do make me utterly sure that 'but for the Grace' go I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh. I drive tired... but I desperately try not to. My dd is a shocking sleeper. And by shocking I mean awful terrible...unbelievably bad. She's also been in hospital several times and I've needed to drive home in s rush and back agsin... or taken her to important medical appointments. Where possible I've asked for company. .. but unfortunately I don't have much of a support system around me so although I've asked for help it hasn't been given. Sadly.
    However. ..I try not to but sometimes it's unavoidable. .. I take water. ... or get a coffee. And if I need to I pull over and stop to wake up a bit I do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I agree.

I think this thread is completely out of context.

Ive been exhausted and done some weird things, forgotten things etc. but I've never fallen asleep.

Definitely worlds a part. A good way to pull a straw man and firmly point the finger at parents expecting them to be perfect when a child is harmed accidentally.

No, this thread is being TAKEN out of context. If it genuinely can't be avoided, it can't be avoided. If you have to drive while fatigued you take the necessary precautions and do what you can to get there safely.
    I have also said that it's not about being so tired you will fall asleep (although you shouldn't do that either!) I'm talking about much lower reaction times and the danger of micro sleeps.
    If you have to drive to work or because you need medicine or you really do need groceries that's one thing. But you should at least stop and think 'I'm really tired. I need to take it easy, keep the windows down, not listen to the radio, whatever' and if it's NOT an essential trip you need to rethink going at all. Catch a bus. Call your play date and say 'look I didn't get much sleep and I'd rather not drive, any chance you could come here?' Call your husband and ask him to bring home bread and milk. It's not ok to just get in a car because you want to when you are endangering others on the road. Sorry it's just not. You need to think about and manage it the way you would drinking and driving. of COURSE you cant always control how much sleep you get, or whether you have to drive somewhere. but far too many people dont seem to give it a second thought, or think it is somehow a bit of a laugh or shrug their shoulders. I don't drive, but DP and I have cancelled long car journeys if he hasn't had enough sleep. If he hasn't had enough sleep he will walk instead of ride to work. He caught a taxi home from the hospital and we copped a big parking fee when he went home at 5am after DS was born. What I am saying is that you can't just jump into your car whenever you like, it is your responsibility to make sure everyone on the road is safe. If you haven't had enough sleep, driving should be a last resort. I won't back down from that position. It is dangerous to drive fatigued.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MrsBid  (17-11-2013),VicPark  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it doesnt actually matter for the reason behind why you have to drive. If you are fatigued (and a lot of people arent even aware they are because they feel fine) Then you are a danger and its not ok. you can be offended about it but honestly its just not OK to put someone elses family at risk because of your needs

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (17-11-2013),VicPark  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If people are fatigued, and they don't even know it. Then how are they supposed to know if they are or aren't.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    If people are fatigued, and they don't even know it. Then how are they supposed to know if they are or aren't.
    Well that was the reasoning behind my less-than-5-hours benchmark. For me, 5 hours would probably hinder my ability to drive (well, my current ability to drive is zero so it probably wouldn't make much difference) as I naturally sleep around 7-8 hours a night. For someone who naturally only needs 5-6 hours then that would be different, obviously. I think there needs to be guidelines around it like there is with drink driving, the 'rethink your second drink' campaign. Some people would be fine after 2-3 drinks, but some not. So you have to take personal responsibility and honestly appraise how much your sleeplessness is going to effect your driving.