+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:33.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think that sometimes we forget that not all Australian s live in cities, too. For me to walk to my 'local' shops, id be looking at at least 3 hrs each way, along narrow, windy roads with no spot to walk a pram. I cqnt imagine doing thay with a newborn & toddler/s - do I stop halfeay to breastfeed by the side of a narrow country road, or make my baby wait the 3+ hr walk to the shops to feed? Or deny my sick baby medication from the chemist because im a bit tired? Or deny my toddler food? Some peoe seriously live in dreamland... I know the amount of sleep I need to function, and if I am able to drive safel.y, breastfeed, or bath my baby
    You don't have a partner who can bring those things home? You can't be organized and make sure you stock up over the weekend? Again, I'm sure some trips are unavoidable, but most would be simply for your convenience. It is irresponsible being on the road when not absolutely necessary if you are surviving on 1-2 hours sleep a night. It's not up to you to decide you are 'fine'

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (17-11-2013),Jellyfishie  (15-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I will admit I was arguing against this in the other thread- that sometimes people don't have any other choices- (usually those who live out of large areas and don't have access to things like online shopping) but I do have to say that I was talking from my own experience. And, as such, I wasn't thinking we were talking about being *that* sleep deprived you were on par with being drunk.

I don't believe I have ever been beyond the point of exhaustion and gotten behind the wheel, luckily. I seem to cope with sleep deprivation pretty well.

I can understand if others do it out of necessity, but it doesn't mean I think it's acceptable. It's really tough being put between a hard place and a rock- 'I need to get xyz, but I'm so tired.. but if I don't get this done, then abc will happen' etc. It's not an enviable position at all and I guess in an ideal world we would all have our 'community' around us to help out, but unfortunately it's a luxury very few seem to have these days.
    I'm not talking about being so tired you are on par with drunkenness. I don't feel remotely drunk at .05, but I would never assume I was fine to drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:32.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    .... I'm going to surprise you all and be hardline with this one. I don't think there is any excuse for driving when you are so extremely fatigued you have the equivalent of a 0.05+ blood alcohol level. You are basically putting innocent people's lives at risk for your own personal convenience and that is not something you have the right to do.

There are plenty of alternatives for 99.9% of scenarios. It just takes some self reflection, brainstorming, creativity, thinking outside of the box and ability to have some perspective/not panic when something 'important' gets postponed.
    - do bulk shops (stock up for a few weeks/month at a time).
    - online grocery deliveries
    - keep longlife milk in the cupboard
    - have something other than bread or toast for brekky
    - catch a bus
    - walk
    - tell your hubby to pull their finger out and pick up milk on the way home/push for time off during the day to help with that appointment
    - change that appointment
    - call a friend to help
    - just stay home
    - get a taxi (discount vouchers are available to people in certain situations)
    - catch the free courtesy bus to the local club for 'lunch' then do a runner when you get there
    - go to bed at 8pm when bub does, so even if your sleep is broken you can still get a decent amount. Stuff the housework and get take-away for dinner or have tinned soup
    - have a back up plan for getting kids to school (walk, bus, carer, friend, other mum) or arrange to get work sent to the house. Ask the school for help if it is an ongoing problem.
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-11-2013 at 16:44.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that driving with significant fatigue should be avoided except in exceptional circumstances.

But normal tiredness? I think that is part and parcel of every day life (yes - even for non-parents) and it's not really any different to talking to a passenger or singing along to the radio.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-11-2013),BigRedV  (15-11-2013),ExcitedMummyxxx  (17-11-2013),Gandalf  (17-11-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (17-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (15-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-11-2013),VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thankfully, my 3 babies have all generally been good sleepers, with a few rough patches or 5am wake ups, but there is nothing that makes me feel better than getting out of the house.

I've never been that sleep deprived as described by pp's, but honestly? I don't know if I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't drive in those circumstances. Best thing that makes me feel better after a rough night is going to the gym and going hard. Feel energised for the rest of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know it's fiction but did anyone see Redfern Now last night?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes! I was flicking through channels and got stuck on it. I was riveted. Great show! I've never heard of it or seen it before. Is it a series?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No I missed it. Was it about this sort of thing?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast