+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As FearlessLeader just mentioned, saying that you don't FEEl like you'll fall asleep doesn't mean you're not fatigued. It really is like saying you don't feel drunk.

I too have seen plenty of tests which back that up... looking at how people respond given certain amounts of sleep, or disturbed sleep, etc. You may FEEL fine, you may feel as though you're reasonably well rested, but that in itself doesn't mean that you're not fatigued and therefore a danger. It's about how your brain responds, and how long it takes to respond, given a lack of sleep. Yes, everyone will vary, but on the whole our brains require a full night's sleep to function at their full capacity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

MrsBid  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read any responses but I used to think...'how could you possibly fall asleep while driving?' ...then it happened to me. I didn't fall asleep but omg I was very very close to it and it was scary. I do nightshift so my sleep is all over the place and I wasn't tired this particular day, but we just had a big day out and for the first time in my life I was hit with fatigue. I persevered and got home but I was lucky, very lucky. Never again will I ever push myself to drive in that condition. Fatigue is very real and it can hit you suddenly. The need to close your eyes just for a second is all it takes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've never had driver or bad sleep fatigue ( thankfully!) but I won't drive or take DS anywhere if I'm sick or have a migraine for the simple fact that I'm not 100% alert - but - I'm very lucky to have 4 or 5 people I can call to pick up/take him anywhere - DH works 5 mins away. - if I didn't then I suppose I would just stay at home or cancel whatever I had planned

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember also being so fatigued after having ds2, I had an extremely long labour and couldn't even keep my eyes open.. I didn't even attempt to do any breastfeeding when my eyes were just almost completely shut and all I could say to the nurses was ''get him off me or I wil drop him''.. I really thought I was going to pass out. I have never been that tired in my life. and no way in heck would have gotten in a car to drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Im just thinking back, and when my dd was born, I was too fatigued to drive - didnt sleep for 60hrs straight. However, I also felt like I shouldnt be breastfeeding her, as I was fallinf asleep whilst breastfeeding & was worried about suffocating her - but fact is, she needed to be fed. So how do you feel about women breastfeeding while fatigued, when there is a vey real possibility of falling asleep on baby, and babies have been suffocated before bt exhausted mums trying to breast feed?
    I also agree breastfeeding while fatigued is dangerous. I don't know how many times I fell asleep while bf and I'm thankful I didn't drop or suffocate baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I have driven while being tired, and being fatigued. There's a difference. One time I was 100kms from home so there was no one to call on. I could feel that I was about to fall asleep, there was simply no fighting it. My DS was a newborn and with me at the time. Thankfully, I pulled into a rest stop and was able to sleep for half an hour which was enough to get me home. If there hadn't been a rest stop, I would've pulled over onto a side road or even the shoulder if I had no other choice. This was very different to my everyday tiredness, I was literally falling asleep at the wheel and couldn't control it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im just thinking back, and when my dd was born, I was too fatigued to drive - didnt sleep for 60hrs straight. However, I also felt like I shouldnt be breastfeeding her, as I was fallinf asleep whilst breastfeeding & was worried about suffocating her - but fact is, she needed to be fed. So how do you feel about women breastfeeding while fatigued, when there is a vey real possibility of falling asleep on baby, and babies have been suffocated before bt exhausted mums trying to breast feed?
    Oh for heavens sake, babies need to be fed to survive, there are very few circumstances that make driving necessary for survival. And driving while fatigued puts everyone on the road at risk, not just your own baby. It's not even comparable.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (17-11-2013),Jellyfishie  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:33.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (18-11-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that sometimes we forget that not all Australian s live in cities, too. For me to walk to my 'local' shops, id be looking at at least 3 hrs each way, along narrow, windy roads with no spot to walk a pram. I cqnt imagine doing thay with a newborn & toddler/s - do I stop halfeay to breastfeed by the side of a narrow country road, or make my baby wait the 3+ hr walk to the shops to feed? Or deny my sick baby medication from the chemist because im a bit tired? Or deny my toddler food? Some peoe seriously live in dreamland... I know the amount of sleep I need to function, and if I am able to drive safel.y, breastfeed, or bath my baby
    I was of the understanding that quite a few hubbers were (or have been) from the country and therefore do understand. No one is saying anything about feeding/medicating/caring for your baby. Seems a bit off topic?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast