+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, completely agree. This is why I resorted to sleep training, after a near miss where I could of not only killed myself and child, but the family in the other car. I was dangerous and negligent, and the courts would of seen it the same.

I am not talking about driving whilst tired, but FATIGUED......

People would never drive drunk but don't wee anything wrong with being behind the wheel of a lethal machine exhausted and not thinking correctly.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 15-11-2013 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I will admit I was arguing against this in the other thread- that sometimes people don't have any other choices- (usually those who live out of large areas and don't have access to things like online shopping) but I do have to say that I was talking from my own experience. And, as such, I wasn't thinking we were talking about being *that* sleep deprived you were on par with being drunk.

I don't believe I have ever been beyond the point of exhaustion and gotten behind the wheel, luckily. I seem to cope with sleep deprivation pretty well.

I can understand if others do it out of necessity, but it doesn't mean I think it's acceptable. It's really tough being put between a hard place and a rock- 'I need to get xyz, but I'm so tired.. but if I don't get this done, then abc will happen' etc. It's not an enviable position at all and I guess in an ideal world we would all have our 'community' around us to help out, but unfortunately it's a luxury very few seem to have these days.
    I agree this is also the point I was looking at it from. If I didn't drive when tired well then, I wouldnt have driven at all in the last 5.5 years lol.

But true fatigue where I cant actually drive or may fall asleep? Nope. Never come close to falling asleep behind the wheel and if I feel tired before going to get my son I drink a can of coke or a red bull, eat something sugary and splash my face with cold water.

I literally only get 4-5 hours sleep a night. Have done pretty much since DS1 was born. But it feels normal to me now and I am nowhere near as tired now as I was when DS1 was a baby who never slept. I'll admit to pulling into the carpark of a quiet shopping centre and having a nap in my car in the undercover carpark with DS1 asleep in his carseat cos I was exhausted.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I was experiencing real genuine fatigue with my first really bad non sleeping baby, I probably never really thought about it. But at that stage I was living in walking distance to everything, and because he was such a bad sleeper, I spent a lot of time walking him around in the pram, not driving anywhere.

Now, if I have one rough night, I don't feel so fatigued I can't drive, and not having a 5 hour block (but a couple of hours blocks in chunks over the night) is reasonably normal for me and I am able to function normally.

We do have a fatigue management plan at work (continual shift roster) and it looks at a period of time, not just one night to establish levels of fatigue.

I am really aware of fatigue that comes from driving long distances and always stop as much as I need to on longer drives.

I certainly think if you are experiencing ongoing, severe sleep deprivation you would need to look at ways to manage risk on the roads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:35.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (18-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It certainly seems sometimes that parents can do no right at times.

But that does not mean we should not talk about things that could place ourselves or others at risk, it can be an opportunity to provide food for thought, or a starting point to do some more research.

Ignorance is not bliss.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to put my hand up here and say I drive TIRED regularly, or I would seriously never ever go anywhere; I would only make it to work a handful of times a year, and by the same token, I would get to work and not be able to leave at the end of my workday! It's 2pm now and I have been up since 4am this morning after tossing and turning all night. I am stuffed.. But I am still going to drive home after work!
    I also get up in the middle of the night to pick dh up if he has been out and then struggle to get back to sleep when we get home, and then have my alarm wake me up to go to work the next morning at the crack of dawn. Or, if we go out to a dinner/birthday function that might not mean we are going home til midnight, I drive home.. Tired.

I honestly dont feel that I've ever been so tired that I could fall asleep at the wheel. Even if I am really tired and DH drives, I cant fall asleep in a car!
    I wouldnt call any level of tiredness I have ever felt, fatigue.

In comparing my tiredness to drunkness though, I guess you could say that I've had one drink at some point in the hours preceeding my drive, as opposed to being anywhere near or over the legal limit...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheesecake, you are the only one taking this thread down that path ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, driver fatigue is a huge concern and so many don't seem to see it. As I pointed out in the other thread, people on auto pilot have issues of some sort quite possibly it is fatigue that causes you to go onto auto pilot. Do not drive if you are too tired and not focused. I'm not perfect as some thought I was implying. I suffered sleep deprivation big time with ds1 but had the common sense not to drive if I didn't feel in the right frame of mind to do so.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I have never been so fatigued that I felt unable to drive, or that I would fall asleep at the wheel. If I feel like I can't drive, I also shouldn't be bathing my kids, having a hot cup of tea around them, or be in charge of their supervision and care. Mind you, I can go for weeks on very little sleep (1 - 2 hours a night) before it hits me. 5 hours a night in a solid block? Are you freaking joking? My babies/kids are very good sleepers, and do a solid 12 hours now, but I had a very sick baby who wouldn't sleep day or night until her health issues were medicated, so sleep was something that just didn't happen at that point in my life.

I LOOOOOOVE so much that Mums are given another thing to be guilty about. Don't drive tired. But don't sleep train or control cry in the attempt to get more sleep. But don't not take your child to school, because education is important. But make sure you don't drive them there. And don't get groceries or buy medication or formula for your baby if you have to drive to the chemist to get it. But make sure that you are feeding your children with the non-groceries that you didn't buy. Honestly, mums can't win no matter what they do or how hard they try.
    It's not about being a mum. It's about being a safe driver. If you are sleeping 1-2 hours a night then IMO you should not be on the road. No one has the right to drive and put everyone else at risk. Lots of people don't drive, full stop. You find ways to get around it. And if you can't then you should be looking at ways to ensure you drive as safely as possible, eg by following the guidelines set out in the link in the OP. Not making excuses or trying to justify driving I'm an unsafe manner.
    To those saying 'oh it takes a lot for me to feel really tired' I liken that to saying 'oh I can drink loads and not feel drunk'. Your own perception is not the best gauge in identifying what your reaction times will be like.
    I remember seeing a doco about sleep deprivation and they tested people's reaction times after 1 night of little sleep, then after 2 then 3. The results were utterly shocking. I wish I could remember where I saw it so I could try to link

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (17-11-2013),Renn  (15-11-2013)