+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default *spin off* driver fatigue

No-one's responding to my posts in the other thread, but I am well and truly gobsmacked that so many people here think it's fine and unavoidable to drive with fatigue. You guys won't leave your kids alone at home for 10 minutes but you would put them in a car with an impaired driver?? Driving fatigued is a very real and very serious risk, it is NOT the same as walking down the street fatigued. It CAN be the same risk as drink driving.
    This is the link I posted in the other thread:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...RoadSafety.htm

My question to you all is this- if you have had a hell night with the kids, and had less than say a good 5 hour block of sleep, do you think twice about driving anywhere? Do you ever tell your DH 'maybe you should take the kids to school today even if you're a bit late to work, I shouldn't be driving' or put them on the bus, or NOT drive to the shops when you don't have to?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MrsBid  (17-11-2013),Renn  (15-11-2013),VicPark  (15-11-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never had a 5 hour block of sleep in my life, I am an incredibly restless sleeper - so that would not impact me to the same degree it would someone who is used to solid 8hrs a night.

I've only ever driven fatigued once, and I will never do it again. I was very much aware of my fatigue so I don't know if that made a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Now I don't think twice and If I'm feeling fatigued DP can get his *** up and do the school run (or whatnot). When I was badly sleep deprived I didn't have a husband, and my partner at the time couldn't give a sht about DS or myself. I was fatigued for about 3 years so yeah there were times when I drove and probably shouldn't have I was very isolated and alone, they were some very dark times for me. I walked and took a bus as often as possible, in fact there was a time when my car wasn't used for months on end. But occasionally I did feel I had to just be able to drive somewhere - hospital, my GP where there's no bus service anywhere near, or if I was just feeling desperate and had to see mum without three bus changeovers that took me the entire day to get there and home.

I agree with you though, it's funny how we stress about certain little things but happily get in cars when it's not ideal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sometimes it IS unavoidable though. My son had severe reflux, it took 2 weeks to get a gp appointment, I had no one around except hubby and he could not get time off work. I couldn't move the appointment and wait another 2 weeks in the hope I would not be as tired, as I needed to go and get medication for him so he could sleep! I wasn't about to walk 20km down a country highway with apram

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was floored by some of the comments in the other thread. If you are so tired that you might pass out walking down the street then you sure as hell shouldn't be putting the lives of your children & others at risk by driving your car!

I was really sick a few weeks ago & completely exhausted, I had a drs appointment but I didn't go because I knew I would be putting our lives at risk by driving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't drive to get bread or milk, I'm more than happy to pay extra to get it from the corner store. I have kept my son home from school before as I have been too tired to take him. But I will have a newborn next year, is it ok for him to miss huge chunks of school as I can't get him there, is that acceptable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can't find the other thread. Can someone provide a link pretty pleeease

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Benji-

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...87#post7547087

I do get that sometimes it's unavoidable. But it does seem that some people don't really give it a lot of thought. It should be a last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Benji-

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...87#post7547087

I do get that sometimes it's unavoidable. But it does seem that some people don't really give it a lot of thought. It should be a last resort.
    Thanks. I'm off to have a read now. I'll try not to pull my hair out too much.

I agree with you totally re your last sentence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Haven't seen the other thread, but this does seriously concern me. So many people I know don't think twice about driving when fatigued, even if they've had no sleep. These are people who wouldn't ever consider driving drunk, and would happily criticize others for far less dangerous things.

I'm lucky in that I haven't haven't had too much direct experience with real fatigue. Even when our daughter was a newborn, my partner did what he could to ensure I got a decent amount (if not quality) of sleep. There have certainly been times where I've been insistent that he not drive (or ride his motorbike) though, and he's continued to do so.

I think the worst was when our daughter was tiny. He would usually sleep from early morning until about midday (works from home). We found out the day after our daughter was born that his mum had breast cancer, and she didn't have a car on the road at the time. He was driving her to and from appointments at 8 or 9 am regularly. He'd get maybe 2 hours sleep, get up when he'd usually be asleep, drive 15 minutes to her place, take her another 10 minutes to the hospital then 10 minutes back here. Try to get a bit more sleep. Go back to the hospital and pick her up, drive her home, come back here. There's NO way he should have been driving, but whenever he tried to tell her that she'd go off at him about how she couldn't deal with taking the bus etc. And he'd do it just to keep the peace.

Understandable in other circumstances, but just one example... people don't take driver fatigue seriously.