+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Party etiquette - siblings

What's everyone's thoughts re siblings at parties? DS (nearly 4) has a fcoiple of parties coming up (friends from child care - I haven't met the parents) and I'm not sure of the etiquette about bringing DD (1) along. One is at a playcentre, the other at a park. DH works Saturdays so I'll have DD with me for both parties. Obviously for the play centre one I'll pay for her entrance/food, and she won't be involved in any of the 'games' they have for the party kids. Do I need to let the parents know, or is it a 'given' younger siblings tag along (esp if she won't be eating etc, there's no need catering wise)...
    Please help! I don't want to to come across as rude to these parents, but my only experience with kids parties so far is mother's group/friends kids parties where both kids have been invited.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Let the host know - I hosted my 9 year old nieces pool party here last month for her and 14 friends - 4 mums turned up with siblings which I had no problem with but I had organised the party table , games, prizes, food and thank you gifts/ lolly buckets for 16 kids so was mortified when I had to quickly re arrange a few things and 3 had no lolly buckets ! It definitely will be easier at a play centre but I'd still call and let her know ( I had 1 little boy just staring at all the kids having fun on the water slide and playing games in the pool and I offered a few times to lend him swimmers and let him play but she said no and made the poor kid sit up with the other mums - I get she was trying to keep him away as he was not technically "invited" but it just stressed me and the birthday girl knowing he was not having fun )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I always text and ask if I can bring siblings along. It's never been an issue and I know as a host I really appreciate knowing about sibs, so that that I can factor them in party games and goody bags. I also put on my invites that siblings are invited.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it's a venue party I bring DD and pay for everything for her and let her do her own thing separate to the party group. If it's at a house hurricane DD stays home with DP as I'd be too nervous that she'd break something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always let them no if I need to bring the other and I never expect them to get a party bag or prizes or anything though they usually do. I'm making superhero dress ups for d's party. Unless I'm told the sibling is coming then they won't get one I'm afraid!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies 😀 I'll text the mums now to let them know DD will be coming.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackiedacks For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (15-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I always ask, I had 3 mums turn up to my sons party with extra kids in toe, one was an almost 8 year old boy (my son was turning 5) who was quite rude to me when he was given a party favour that didn't have his name on it when the other kids did - he wasn't even a sibling, but a cousin of one of the guests and I was 36 weeks pregnant at the time... he's lucky he even got a party favour lol.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app