+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Attacks on taxi drivers are a real thing too, that's a good point FL. In my job I've encountered such attacks and more than once. I've personally met three taxi drivers that have been attacked with knives and robbed, several more that have been otherwise assaulted. Within my job, I can't even count how many I've known of to be assaulted, harassed and robbed. Do they then have the right to refuse male customers? Of course they don't. I'm sorry, I just don't see how this is anything more than a band aid. It just does not address the problem. There is no mention of this occurring in the interim while other long term initiatives are put into practice. This does not teach drivers what acceptable behaviour is. This does not teach drivers what constitutes abuse or intimidation. This does not monitor their behaviour and weed out those engaging in this kind of behaviour.
    And I don't really think it's fair to punish all male taxi drivers for the behaviour of some by loss of business and loss of confidence from their employer - i know if I were a male taxi driver who was not in the habit of abusing or intimidating my customers, I would see this as my governing body essentially say I was not to be trusted as a male driver. I'm not sure if I can articulate what I mean but I'll try by example.

You are a male teacher. Another male teacher at your school abused a female student in some way. Instead of dealing with this male teacher who committed this abuse, the board of education steps in and say that male teachers are no longer allowed to teach female students, instead there will be a special team of female teachers hired for female students. They don't deal with any systemic problems with the attitudes of the male teacher or any other male teachers, they just no longer allow male teachers near female students just in case they abuse someone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I agree with most of your sentiments in this thread but just want to point out that the fear of physical vs sexual assault is very different. For one thing sexual assault is both. I really don't think men have any clue about that frisson of fear all women feel in these situations or that constant awareness of your own vulnerabilities.

Anyway I don't mean to play oppression Olympics or turn it into a competition but males just don't have to be as afraid as we are.
    I think that is a huge assumption to make. I think some individuals feel more fearful than others for a variety of reasons. One may be gender but there are loads of others. I think it's incredibly divisive and harmful to say men don't have to be as afraid as women. In fact, they do 'have' to be. Men are far more likely to be killed by strangers than women.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to work for an acute sexual assault service, and I think it is a great idea. We did not keep stats on who perpetrated crimes but I absolutely saw a number of women who were sexually assaulted by taxi drivers in taxis (passing out drunk and waking up to a driver on top of them was the most common occurrence). Vast, vast majority made no complaint to the police or the taxi company.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    I am all for it,esp after the weekend I had the week before.Went out for a work party,got a bit smashed (not sure but I THINK my drink was spiked) My boss put me in a taxi,and gave taxi driver the fare to get me home.I ended up calling my DH to pick me up,I was out of taxi,walking through surfers....have NO idea what happened,the night is a blank and I woke up feeling smashed and had a massive cut lip.So taxi driver got the money and I didn't get home.Would feel more comfy with a lady driver for sure.
    That is really scary. But can I just point out, you have no way of knowing that the outcome would have been any different with a female driver. You say yourself you don't remember what happened, is it not possible you asked to be dropped off somewhere? While I'm really sorry you had such an awful experience I think the fault lies more with the drink spiked than the taxi driver- they can't make you stay in the cab if you want to get out and you really have no way of knowing, iykwim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    As someone who remembers my days of taxis and the offered "payment arrangements" I support it and would use them.

I also remember when Dad was a taxi driver back in the day. Massive drunk men made him - a strong, tall male - feel threatened. I couldn't imagine how a female driver would feel in those situations.

If people don't like them they can still use the traditional taxi services. I personally would like the option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I agree with most of your sentiments in this thread but just want to point out that the fear of physical vs sexual assault is very different. For one thing sexual assault is both. I really don't think men have any clue about that frisson of fear all women feel in these situations or that constant awareness of your own vulnerabilities.

Anyway I don't mean to play oppression Olympics or turn it into a competition but males just don't have to be as afraid as we are.
    As I pointed out earlier in the thread, men are at a far greater risk of physical assault in public than women are. You're right, it's not a competition. So it's not fair to say they don't have to be afraid as us. We have no way of knowing how much fear other people feel but I do know male fear of assault is not really spoken of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    And I don't really think it's fair to punish all male taxi drivers for the behaviour of some by loss of business and loss of confidence from their employer
    They aren't being punished though. No one is saying male taxi drivers should be banned overall. They just want to provide a female only service. women and men that feel safe taking the dozens of other cab companies in melb won't be affected. Nor will the drivers of those companies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    As someone who remembers my days of taxis and the offered "payment arrangements" I support it and would use them.

I also remember when Dad was a taxi driver back in the day. Massive drunk men made him - a strong, tall male - feel threatened. I couldn't imagine how a female driver would feel in those situations.

If people don't like them they can still use the traditional taxi services. I personally would like the option.
    Do you think it's fair that men like your dad are tarred with the same brush as those offering payment arrangements, though? Is it fair that men like him may lose earnings because of this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Do you think it's fair that men like your dad are tarred with the same brush as those offering payment arrangements, though? Is it fair that men like him may lose earnings because of this?
    I don't think people are tarring anyone with the same brush. Just wanting to avoid the drivers who DO act inappropriately and dangerously. I'll ask dad his feelings but I'm sure he would be supportive of the move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    They aren't being punished though. No one is saying male taxi drivers should be banned overall. They just want to provide a female only service. women and men that feel safe taking the dozens of other cab companies in melb won't be affected. Nor will the drivers of those companies.
    I realise no one is calling for a ban. But how can you know this won't affect other drivers business? Women make up the biggest proportion of the clientele and this is a women only service, so many women will use this in place of regular taxi services. Of course the flow on will be other drivers lose fares and therefore, earnings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast