+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Regardless of stats, I think this is a good initiative because it addresses the fear that I would imagine all women have had at some stage when they have worried about their safety. I don't think most men appreciate that fear. The time you walk home late alone or your find yourself out at night in a seedier part of town, that feeling you have when your senses go on high alert.

Changing cultural attitude is very difficult and can take a lot of time, in the meantime we can have the option of getting a woman to drive us home if we choose.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (14-11-2013),RobinSparkles  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    Or they are charged for their offences and no are longer allowed to work. Changing a culture takes generations, I agree with you. But just masking the problem doesn't do us any good as women. Keeping in mind that we are not saying that all male taxi drivers are like that.

I think it's the same as telling women not to show any cleavage or they will be sexual assault targets. Women should be able to get taxis any time of the day or night and feel safe to do so. It's the men who have inappropriate behaviour who should be punished and not women to have their freedom limited by those men's behaviour
    Take one for the team, ladies.

Eventually it will be fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

And I think the suggestion that offering a potential safer mode of transport will lead to victim blaming is a bit alarmist. No one is saying if a woman doesn't take a 'female' taxi then gets assaulted they deserve it.
    Nobody here on BH is saying it. I'm just thinking about how some people who already have this kind of thinking might have it reinforced by this whole concept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Regardless of stats, I think this is a good initiative because it addresses the fear that I would imagine all women have had at some stage when they have worried about their safety. I don't think most men appreciate that fear. The time you walk home late alone or your find yourself out at night in a seedier part of town, that feeling you have when your senses go on high alert.

Changing cultural attitude is very difficult and can take a lot of time, in the meantime we can have the option of getting a woman to drive us home if we choose.
    Totally agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Take one for the team, ladies.

Eventually it will be fine.
    Exactly. Fight the patriarchy but don't fight for your own personal safety!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish30 View Post
    Nobody here on BH is saying it. I'm just thinking about how some people who already have this kind of thinking might have it reinforced by this whole concept.
    I know where you are coming from, and I do agree. There needs to be a huge shift, not just with the cabbie industry but society in general. I also agree they should be dealt with harshly. But as some of the other girls have said, while we wait for that shift, women should have the right to choose a safer service.

I don't think it condones the idea that the onus is on women to protect themselves. It's just an option women have. Now if people said "you didn't take the pink cab so you brought the sexual assault on yourself" I would fully agree that's victim blaming. But women don't have to use the service, but it's there if they want it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (14-11-2013),Starfish30  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

This!

Totally agree, as long as it's not presented as the sole solution to this problem. We already have (very few) female taxi drivers, and there is nothing bad about that.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I agree with most of your sentiments, but I disagree with the idea that most men don't understand the fear. I think they do, they just don't talk about it. The streets in the CBD late at night on a weekend are just as, if not more dangerous for a man than a woman. I worry about DP more than he worries about me, I think.
    Not to mention the flip side of this whole debate being that taxi drivers themselves are at great risk from other men.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (15-11-2013),Boobycino  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I agree with most of your sentiments, but I disagree with the idea that most men don't understand the fear. I think they do, they just don't talk about it. The streets in the CBD late at night on a weekend are just as, if not more dangerous for a man than a woman. I worry about DP more than he worries about me, I think.
    Not to mention the flip side of this whole debate being that taxi drivers themselves are at great risk from other men.
    I agree with most of your sentiments in this thread but just want to point out that the fear of physical vs sexual assault is very different. For one thing sexual assault is both. I really don't think men have any clue about that frisson of fear all women feel in these situations or that constant awareness of your own vulnerabilities.

Anyway I don't mean to play oppression Olympics or turn it into a competition but males just don't have to be as afraid as we are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am all for it,esp after the weekend I had the week before.Went out for a work party,got a bit smashed (not sure but I THINK my drink was spiked) My boss put me in a taxi,and gave taxi driver the fare to get me home.I ended up calling my DH to pick me up,I was out of taxi,walking through surfers....have NO idea what happened,the night is a blank and I woke up feeling smashed and had a massive cut lip.So taxi driver got the money and I didn't get home.Would feel more comfy with a lady driver for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast