+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think this perpetuates the stranger rape myth- that you are most likely to be assaulted by a stranger like a taxi driver etc
    You are most likely to be assaulted by someone known to you. That is not to say strangers never sexually assault women but it's just not that likely.
    They've received 3 complaints a month. They're the ones that have reported, there would be loads more unreported.

I know when I was in my early 20's, I managed to escape a taxi driver who said I could pay him with sex. I was a bit drunk and managed to run to my friend's house and had not taken note of his id in my drunken state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I absolutely think we need to address the core issues of why this is needed to begin with, and work to stamp it out. But in the meantime, I think it's a great idea. As to being sexist? how ridiculous. Statistically women make up a huge proportion of sexual and physical assault victims. I cannot fathom why anyone would be against this.
    It's also worth noting that statistically, men are more likely to experience physical assault in public places than women are (at the hands if other men)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

RoseBetweenTheThorns  (14-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I think this perpetuates the stranger rape myth- that you are most likely to be assaulted by a stranger like a taxi driver etc
    You are most likely to be assaulted by someone known to you. That is not to say strangers never sexually assault women but it's just not that likely.
    I see your point, and I haven't been raped nor assaulted by a taxi driver, but - I'd say 1 in 5 of my cab rides involves some degree of inappropriate conversation, suggestiveness, or just general creepiness, leading to me feeling at the least, uneasy, and at the most, unsafe. I'd welcome the opportunity for a guaranteed relaxed ride home after a night out.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-11-2013),BigRedV  (14-11-2013),Boobycino  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes, they do, but statistically, the perpetrators are their partners, fathers, friends, relatives and occasionally they are strangers. I don't think this is addressing the core problem because instead of teaching all men to not abuse and to respect women as equal, this points the finger at one group (taxi drivers) and says they are the problem. This won't teach problem taxi drivers anything either.
    What about compulsory training, stricter supervision and easier avenues for anyone to report harassment?
    Yes that's true. Perps are usually known to the victim. Usually though. Clearly women are being assaulted and harrassed by drivers or this service wouldn't have been created. So there is a need.

As I said, I fully agree it's a deeper issue that needs to be addressed that goes beyond pink taxi's. But until the powers that be, and society works through that, I think it's a great idea that women can choose this service.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    They've received 3 complaints a month. They're the ones that have reported, there would be loads more unreported.

I know when I was in my early 20's, I managed to escape a taxi driver who said I could pay him with sex. I was a bit drunk and managed to run to my friend's house and had not taken note of his id in my drunken state.
    I would be interested to know how many are verbal vs physical. Neither are acceptable of course, I'm just curious. But as I said, a ladies only taxi service doesn't address the problem drivers- it sidesteps them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would be interested to know how many are verbal vs physical. Neither are acceptable of course, I'm just curious. But as I said, a ladies only taxi service doesn't address the problem drivers- it sidesteps them.
    I see it along the same lines as female only gyms - a place where women can feel safe.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (14-11-2013),snowqu33n  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I see your point, and I haven't been raped nor assaulted by a taxi driver, but - I'd say 1 in 5 of my cab rides involves some degree of inappropriate conversation, suggestiveness, or just general creepiness, leading to me feeling at the least, uneasy, and at the most, unsafe. I'd welcome the opportunity for a guaranteed relaxed ride home after a night out.
    I am 32 years old and only got my license a year ago. I have used taxis for years. Frequently. In and around the city, in the suburbs, at various times of the day and night. Around kings cross, surry hills, darling hurst and various suburbs in the east and inner west and piles more. I have had ONE taxi driver who was a bit sleazy and hit on me. A few were certainly friendly and interested but respectful. I was never assaulted. More than a decade of regular taxi use.
    But that's all anecdotal. I guess it just doesn't address the real problems and seems like a band aid.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I am 32 years old and only got my license a year ago. I have used taxis for years. Frequently. In and around the city, in the suburbs, at various times of the day and night. Around kings cross, surry hills, darling hurst and various suburbs in the east and inner west and piles more. I have had ONE taxi driver who was a bit sleazy and hit on me. A few were certainly friendly and interested but respectful. I was never assaulted. More than a decade of regular taxi use.
    But that's all anecdotal. I guess it just doesn't address the real problems and seems like a band aid.
    Oh, I agree! Also, you must have a great 'don't mess with me' face going on :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Oh, I agree! Also, you must have a great 'don't mess with me' face going on :-)
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384419688.731675.jpg
    What, this old thing? Haha!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

harvs  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been intimidated by taxi drivers 4 times, "we can work your fare out another way" ones, one who followed me down dark streets telling me he would give me a lift for free and one who got angry at the driver of the cab we were in, who then decided to try and swerve us off the road for about 2 km and finally slammed the breaks on and forced us to stop. Lucky we had some big scary looking friends in the taxi as he ended up freaking out and leaving.

I support it 100%, if men faced the same kind of thing as women do, then I'd support a man only taxi company/