+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think this perpetuates the stranger rape myth- that you are most likely to be assaulted by a stranger like a taxi driver etc
    You are most likely to be assaulted by someone known to you. That is not to say strangers never sexually assault women but it's just not that likely.
    They've received 3 complaints a month. They're the ones that have reported, there would be loads more unreported.

    I know when I was in my early 20's, I managed to escape a taxi driver who said I could pay him with sex. I was a bit drunk and managed to run to my friend's house and had not taken note of his id in my drunken state.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I absolutely think we need to address the core issues of why this is needed to begin with, and work to stamp it out. But in the meantime, I think it's a great idea. As to being sexist? how ridiculous. Statistically women make up a huge proportion of sexual and physical assault victims. I cannot fathom why anyone would be against this.
    It's also worth noting that statistically, men are more likely to experience physical assault in public places than women are (at the hands if other men)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    RoseBetweenTheThorns  (14-11-2013)

  4. #13
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I think this perpetuates the stranger rape myth- that you are most likely to be assaulted by a stranger like a taxi driver etc
    You are most likely to be assaulted by someone known to you. That is not to say strangers never sexually assault women but it's just not that likely.
    I see your point, and I haven't been raped nor assaulted by a taxi driver, but - I'd say 1 in 5 of my cab rides involves some degree of inappropriate conversation, suggestiveness, or just general creepiness, leading to me feeling at the least, uneasy, and at the most, unsafe. I'd welcome the opportunity for a guaranteed relaxed ride home after a night out.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (14-11-2013),BigRedV  (14-11-2013),Boobycino  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,839
    Thanks
    6,199
    Thanked
    16,883
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes, they do, but statistically, the perpetrators are their partners, fathers, friends, relatives and occasionally they are strangers. I don't think this is addressing the core problem because instead of teaching all men to not abuse and to respect women as equal, this points the finger at one group (taxi drivers) and says they are the problem. This won't teach problem taxi drivers anything either.
    What about compulsory training, stricter supervision and easier avenues for anyone to report harassment?
    Yes that's true. Perps are usually known to the victim. Usually though. Clearly women are being assaulted and harrassed by drivers or this service wouldn't have been created. So there is a need.

    As I said, I fully agree it's a deeper issue that needs to be addressed that goes beyond pink taxi's. But until the powers that be, and society works through that, I think it's a great idea that women can choose this service.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    snowqu33n  (14-11-2013)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    They've received 3 complaints a month. They're the ones that have reported, there would be loads more unreported.

    I know when I was in my early 20's, I managed to escape a taxi driver who said I could pay him with sex. I was a bit drunk and managed to run to my friend's house and had not taken note of his id in my drunken state.
    I would be interested to know how many are verbal vs physical. Neither are acceptable of course, I'm just curious. But as I said, a ladies only taxi service doesn't address the problem drivers- it sidesteps them.

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I would be interested to know how many are verbal vs physical. Neither are acceptable of course, I'm just curious. But as I said, a ladies only taxi service doesn't address the problem drivers- it sidesteps them.
    I see it along the same lines as female only gyms - a place where women can feel safe.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    FearlessLeader  (14-11-2013),snowqu33n  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I see your point, and I haven't been raped nor assaulted by a taxi driver, but - I'd say 1 in 5 of my cab rides involves some degree of inappropriate conversation, suggestiveness, or just general creepiness, leading to me feeling at the least, uneasy, and at the most, unsafe. I'd welcome the opportunity for a guaranteed relaxed ride home after a night out.
    I am 32 years old and only got my license a year ago. I have used taxis for years. Frequently. In and around the city, in the suburbs, at various times of the day and night. Around kings cross, surry hills, darling hurst and various suburbs in the east and inner west and piles more. I have had ONE taxi driver who was a bit sleazy and hit on me. A few were certainly friendly and interested but respectful. I was never assaulted. More than a decade of regular taxi use.
    But that's all anecdotal. I guess it just doesn't address the real problems and seems like a band aid.

  12. #18
    harvs's Avatar
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,994
    Thanks
    6,239
    Thanked
    15,889
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I am 32 years old and only got my license a year ago. I have used taxis for years. Frequently. In and around the city, in the suburbs, at various times of the day and night. Around kings cross, surry hills, darling hurst and various suburbs in the east and inner west and piles more. I have had ONE taxi driver who was a bit sleazy and hit on me. A few were certainly friendly and interested but respectful. I was never assaulted. More than a decade of regular taxi use.
    But that's all anecdotal. I guess it just doesn't address the real problems and seems like a band aid.
    Oh, I agree! Also, you must have a great 'don't mess with me' face going on :-)

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Oh, I agree! Also, you must have a great 'don't mess with me' face going on :-)
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1384419688.731675.jpg
    What, this old thing? Haha!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    harvs  (14-11-2013)

  15. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been intimidated by taxi drivers 4 times, "we can work your fare out another way" ones, one who followed me down dark streets telling me he would give me a lift for free and one who got angry at the driver of the cab we were in, who then decided to try and swerve us off the road for about 2 km and finally slammed the breaks on and forced us to stop. Lucky we had some big scary looking friends in the taxi as he ended up freaking out and leaving.

    I support it 100%, if men faced the same kind of thing as women do, then I'd support a man only taxi company/


 

Similar Threads

  1. Female obs in Melbourne
    By curiouschildcare in forum Seeking a Maternity Hospital
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 22:14
  2. Taxis and baby seats
    By loodle in forum Safety Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 11:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Little Rugby NSW
Catch, weave, chase, run, but most of all have FUN! Little Rugby runs a NSW network of fun, safe and non-contact footy classes for BOYS and GIRLS aged 2yrs – 7th birthday.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!