+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default Female only taxis in Melbourne

Thoughts??? Here I was thinking this was a wonderful idea and I read a heap of men on FB whinging that it's sexist and segregation and if women get their own cab company so should men.

Pink taxis driven by women and available only to female passengers could be on Melbourne's streets soon.
    TaxiLink's Harry Katsiabanis hopes to recruit 50 women to drive a new fleet of pink cabs to serve women exclusively.
    Mr Katsiabanis said he was pushing the initiative, dubbed Taxi Link Pink, in response to a series of articles in The Age about lone women being sexually assaulted by taxi drivers at night.
    Victoria's taxi authority has been receiving about three complaints a month from female passengers, ranging from sexually intimidating behaviour to assault.
    Advertisement
    "Taxi Link Pink will be a fleet of pink taxis for women only, driven by women only," Mr Katsiabanis said. "But I can't launch the product if I don't have the drivers."
    Women would be trained as drivers and then hired under a conventional bailment agreement, under which they would earn 50 per cent of the fare box, rising to 55 per cent once the state government's taxi industry reforms take effect.
    The drivers would be assigned work from a call centre and could pick up female customers on the street.
    Mr Katsiabanis said Victoria's taxi industry was male-dominated, yet 58 per cent of his company's customers were women. The few female drivers already at TaxiLink could not keep up with demand.
    "We need to change the perception," he said. "I've only got a handful [of female drivers] and they are fantastic. They can't keep up with the demand."
    An exemption from Victoria's equal opportunity laws would be required before the scheme could start.
    Veterinary nurse Brook Trott, 18, said a women-only taxi service would make her feel more comfortable about catching cabs.
    "I would feel more safe if I was to get in a taxi with another girl, as a driver or just a passenger," Ms Trott said.
    Recruitment consultant Tatjana Grgic, 42, said women-only cabs would make little difference during the day but would be welcome at night.
    "I've had all kinds of different male taxi drivers with the intention to get something out of you, not just money, and if I had a choice and was calling up Silver Top or any other taxi services and they were asking the option, 'Would you like a male or a female?', my response would be 'female'," Ms Grgic said.
    The taxi industry inquiry, led by Professor Allan Fels, made no specific recommendations for improving women's safety in cabs, but noted it was an issue.
    Taxi Services Commissioner Graeme Samuel said the push for women-only taxis was an example of the kind of innovation that the government's industry reforms were designed to foster.
    "There will be innovators who see there are some great opportunities now to create a different service, and it's a service that will attract customers and differentiate itself from the current incumbents, the two major networks," Mr Samuel said.
    The commission would have to approve the change of taxi colour from yellow to pink. Mr Samuel said Victoria's uniformly yellow taxis were "anti-competitive and disempowered consumers".
    • The Napthine government will introduce tough new fines for companies that do not comply with its decision to slash the credit card surcharge for taxi payments by 50 per cent.
    The existing 10 per cent surcharge will drop to 5 per cent next year, in one of the key reforms to the industry.
    Companies that do not reduce the surcharge face civil fines of up to $5 million, and individuals face fines of up to $1 million.
    "We are serious about taxi reform, and serious about halving the cost of using your card to pay for your trip," Public Transport Minister Terry Mulder said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wo...#ixzz2kbIISOyc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Smudgey  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if there are just as many men being harassed and assaulted at night by female taxi drivers then they can, by all means have their own company. I think its brilliant!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),Boobycino  (14-11-2013),SassyMummy  (14-11-2013),snowqu33n  (14-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Also, surely female taxi drivers would feel safer too? I like this idea. A lot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd use this service if it was available.

Baby #1 due 28/03/2014!!
    18 months trying, pregnant 1st round Clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think some of that money could be used to do a mandatory background check on all taxi drivers.

But I do agree, unfortunate though that we need it. =/

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think its a great idea. I only use taxi drivers i know otherwise i generally wont get into a taxi esp by myself. I have put in complaints before about taxi drivers and nothing was done(indecent exposure, sexual comments, keeping me in the taxi and wouldnt let me get out)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I think some of that money could be used to do a mandatory background check on all taxi drivers.

But I do agree, unfortunate though that we need it. =/

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.
    We do criminal history checks before hiring staff at work, they cost $72 so they're not expensive at all. However how many stories have you heard about taxi drivers using other peoples licenses and doing dodgies in terms of student visas and work limitations - if they have the right connections, it would be just as easy to provide fake documents for a criminal history check. Through the service we use, a Manager of the organization is allowed to certify a document as a true copy so that could be very easily abused by the cab companies managers.

I think it is a great short-term solution however I think they need to look at the root problem - instilling professional behaviour and the idea that sexual assault or intimidation is not ok, EVER. Intensive training during induction and throughout employment and a massive culture shift in the industry, away from male dominated and towards an inclusive, respectful culture. This could be a challenge with the number of taxi drivers who are on limited / short term work visas but I'm sure in time, it could be improved. This would have to be a very long term approach though so in the meantime, to ensure female passengers safety, I absolutely think female only cabs are a great idea.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-11-2013),Mulva  (14-11-2013),snowqu33n  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this perpetuates the stranger rape myth- that you are most likely to be assaulted by a stranger like a taxi driver etc
    You are most likely to be assaulted by someone known to you. That is not to say strangers never sexually assault women but it's just not that likely.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I absolutely think we need to address the core issues of why this is needed to begin with, and work to stamp it out. But in the meantime, I think it's a great idea. As to being sexist? how ridiculous. Statistically women make up a huge proportion of sexual and physical assault victims. I cannot fathom why anyone would be against this.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (14-11-2013),snowqu33n  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I absolutely think we need to address the core issues of why this is needed to begin with, and work to stamp it out. But in the meantime, I think it's a great idea. As to being sexist? how ridiculous. Statistically women make up a huge proportion of sexual and physical assault victims. I cannot fathom why anyone would be against this.
    Yes, they do, but statistically, the perpetrators are their partners, fathers, friends, relatives and occasionally they are strangers. I don't think this is addressing the core problem because instead of teaching all men to not abuse and to respect women as equal, this points the finger at one group (taxi drivers) and says they are the problem. This won't teach problem taxi drivers anything either.
    What about compulsory training, stricter supervision and easier avenues for anyone to report harassment?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-11-2013)