+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If his birthday is December he'll be one of the older ones anyway without holding him back a year.

I don't know anyone who held their child back if they were born between August and February. March, April and May seem to be the usual months people will contemplate it and June and July almost certainly. My state has a July cutoff for birthdays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I thought they had to start the year they turn 6?
    Yes this was my thoughts as well and if you don't start them the school can at times put them straight into grade 1 if you haven't gone through the process of holding them back.

DD3 is 4 in December, the preschool she is going to said they will let me know term 3 or 4 next year if she's ready to start school (she has been delayed in something's) if not then she'll repeat preschool. DD1 started when she was 4, turned 5 in late Feb and I really couldn't imagine her being held back a year. She was more than ready to start and top of her class now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes they have to be enrolled no later than the year they turn 6, but they can legally start the year the turn 5 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I thought they had to start the year they turn 6?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yes they have to be enrolled no later than the year they turn 6, but they can legally start the year the turn 5 as well.
    Yes that's what I meant, turning 5 or turning 6, but no older.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds preschool and school are all linked so when you enrol in the very first program they offer which is 2.5 kindy they are automatically enrolled in the preschool program, pre- transition program and then the transition which is the same as kindergarten in NSW. There are options of 18 or 12 month programs I preschool and transition depending on the child and age.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 14-11-2013 at 20:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Which state still follows a jan-dec cutoff?
    Tasmania does. Kids start kinder (3 days a week) the year they turn 5 & full time the year they turn 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amongst my friendship group in high school, most of us turned 18 within about 4-5 months of each other. I did have a couple of younger friends though who hated being younger because everyone else had gotten their drivers licence and were going out to nightclubs etc. so they felt left out sometimes.

My daughter is an April birthday and I held her back, because I didn't want her to be one of the youngest amongst her peers...and I was thinking along the same lines as you: it was more the teen years I was concerned about.

However, I have heard of people who love being younger because it means they go to uni younger, graduate younger and can start their career sooner.

So, I guess there are advantages to both (sorry, that wasn't much help!)

ETA: I just re-read your OP. I think 17 turning 18 in year 12 is fine. I'm not sure which state you're in, but if it's a mid-year cutoff I guess there'd be others in his grade turning 18 right up until June the following year?
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 14-11-2013 at 20:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my son is a December baby but has always been middle in ages, he actually seems like the oldest in he class, he is the biggest and very focused and mature, it would have driven me insane to keep himhome longer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 18 when I finished school and I had no problems even being nearly the oldest in my grade. It made me cooler my youngest sister turned 17 in her last it of high school and she hated it. Ppl where turning 17/18 way before her and doing a lot more then she was. I think for you though either way is fine as he won't be 16 turning 17 which I think is the worst for children in yr 12

Asha 26, William 13 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will start my kids ASAP. I would hate to be at school longer than I have to.

My kids appear advanced and do well socially so I don't think it will be a problem for the two older ones. Youngest is 2 so will see how the next 2 years pan out.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art