+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Angry Egg donation in Ukraine

We had egg donation experience in Ukraine. I must tell that I was not very happy. At first some agencies told us that they can not even show the picture of the egg donor by law. We must just give our requirements as to eye color, blood type, weight etc. and they will find the matching donor. The problem was how can we trust them that they realy found the right match? We postoned for a while until we found agencies who agreed to show the photos. But it was still not possible to see the donor. Again the same question: Who verifies that she is the right person? We decided that we can trust the clinic as they will work with the egg donor. To make the long story short we found out that we can not really trust anybody. However it was too late. My advice is that if you are thinking Ukraine the only way is to make some arrangements to see the egg donor before even giving any money to any body. If I am to do it again I will never do any other way. There is really no legal action you can practically take about any errors anyone makes intentionally or unintentially in this country. So you just have to control the risks otherwise you become wiser after the fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anonymous egg donation means anonymous. I'm not sure why you would think you would see a photo of them. I think some countries will show you a photo of the donor when they were a child but not as an adult.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kheeki For This Useful Post:

Alice284  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    South Africa allows you to see the donor as a child, but yeah Europe is totally anonymous. The other thing to think about is that just because you ask for a donor with let's say blonde hair and blue eyes does not mean that child will have blonde hair and blue eyes, there are many variations with genetics. I'm blonde and green eyed, while my brother has black hair and blue eyes we don't look a thing alike. There's just no guarantees with egg donation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crystal4431 For This Useful Post:

Alice284  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even genetic links are mysterious, like you say Kheeki.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggylig For This Useful Post:

Alice284  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like Kheeki said, anonymous is anonymous!

Obviously anonymous egg donation is not for you. When you first had questions and issues why did you not simply cancel and go to America where you can select your donor from a database and see their pictures. Or alternatively you could have used a known donor in Australia.

When people are seeking donor eggs they should choose the option they are most comfortable with, known or anonymous.

Your issue is with anonymous donation, not the clinic I'm assuming? So why start a thread trashing the Ukraine?

I have children via an anon donor in Europe and people remark everyday how much my kids look like me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    For anyone out there who may be looking for info or reviews on clinics in the Ukraine, Russia or other Eastern European countries I recommend visiting Fertility Friends which is a UK website. I've linked straight through to the Eastern Europe thread.
    There are lots of people who go to these countries and have great experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I disagree with all arguments above to defend wrong information as normal. Anonymous does not mean you accept anything . Anonymous means that you do not know the name address contact information and anything to identify the egg donor. They give you the option to specify certain paramerters. And you specify what you want. They tell you Ok we found a donor who meet this criteria. But you find out that it was not true. And it is just too late to make any change. Here is the problem. This can be called in many different ways but no one in good jugment can accept a situation like this. The discussion about genetics is totally irrelevant here. Yes child is not guaranteed to have any features. Of course. But the probabality of what the child is going to be is connected to the mother too. And it is this probability that you are agreeing and paying for. It is a contract on that basis. Someone breaks the contract. This can not be accepted as normal. I hope you understand the issue here. And I hope you understand how serious the issue is.
    Last edited by experienced; 16-11-2013 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We only commented on the vague information provided, you still have not told us exactly what the problem is. Its difficult to complain about a clinic (not a country) if you don't specify what happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrote "Again the same question: Who verifies that she is the right person?" . I think this is clear enough to show what the problem is. The agencies provide photos in their data bases ( even though they say it is illegal!) and they send questionaires to fill in about your requirements (this must be legal !) . But who verifies what you chose is based on correct information and what action you can take if it is not. "Trust me it will not happen" line is a false promise. It dos not work. This is the issue.
    Last edited by experienced; 17-11-2013 at 16:50. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with Crystal, it's all very vague. So, no, I don't understand the issue here.

If you want a child so much that you go down the ED route then you have to be open and aware that things are out of your hands. My donor was changed 2 months out from my cycle; things happen and something happened to her making it that she was unable to donate. It didn't bother me, as long as I had a donor!

I'm going to assume, because you're not telling us anything, that your donor didn't stim properly so the back up cycle donor was used? I'm also assuming you had a failed cycle? Why else would you be so upset? If you are pregnant or did have a child I feel sorry for your children because you obviously believe they are not perfect and are not over the moon to have them.

I have no idea what you are talking about with a connection to a mother??? You don't have to look like your parent to have a great bond with them. Think about all the adopted children out there. And just because your parent wasn't an academic superstar it doesn't mean you wont be.

When you go in to this process you have to know that there are no guarantees. You can control nothing. You do in a sense go in blind. You need to be flexible and prepared for things to change and not go as planned. When you become a parent these are great skills to have!

A wonderful woman on the other side of the world gave you an incredible gift and this is the way you choose to repay her. I feel sorry for her.

ETA: As for 'who verifies that she is the right person?'. When you have a child naturally, who verifies that the child's other parent is the right person? Especially if it's a one night stand! Who verifies that you are the right person to parent that child? Just because you give birth to it doesn't make you right?
    I trusted the coordinator at my clinic to make the right choice for me, as she had for hundreds of other families that I had talked to. If you didn't trust your clinic then you made a poor judgement error.

I think the fact that she wanted to donate eggs to you makes her one of the right people!
    Last edited by Alice284; 17-11-2013 at 17:02.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice284 For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (17-11-2013)