+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just starting DS on solids now at 5.5 months. He's had sweet potato and watermelon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were advised 6 months and to offer all foods. I thought our daughter was showing interest at 4 months, (watching us eat, great head control, enjoyed sitting in the high chair, etc) we tried her a couple of times, but she wasn't interested. To be honest, I think a lot of what we can perceive as interest in food, is just interest in general. We tried again at 6 months and she was showing a lot more interest (didn't feel like I was forcing her to eat), but she's still only having a bit here and there. I offer it twice a day, but she would prefer booby any day.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started DS at 5.5m but he didn't really take to it until 7.5m. My others started at 6m and 5.5 m with no issues. I started with rice cereal. I think they recommend it as it is the least likely food to induce an allergic reaction. I usually give it for about a week to make then sure everything is working on then start with other foods.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 27-11-2013 at 23:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    I started DS at 5.5m but he didn't really take to it until 7.5m. My others started at 6m and 5.5 m with no issues. I started with rice cereal. I think they recommend it as it is the least likely food to induce an allergic reaction. I usually give it for about a week to make then sure everything is working on then start with other foods.

I started with rice cereal to, I regret it now after reading this thread. I listened to the advice of a friend, who is very 'old school'

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    I started with rice cereal to, I regret it now after reading this thread. I listened to the advice of a friend, who is very 'old school'

If it makes you feel any better. I work with women from all around the world. From Africa to Asia to the middle east and they all start their babies on ground up rice. I found this quite interesting actually.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (30-11-2013)

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Jellyfishie;7563284]People think introducing solids is a milestone like crawling or talking, as in 'wow my (tiny young) baby just had solids, what an achievement'. It's really quite different, you give food for nutrition, not as something you 'achieve'.
    QUOTE]

I think anything baby does..no matter how small or "normal" it may be is an achievement and a milestone to be celebrated!
    Walking, talking, Eating solids, Doing a poo or even laughing are all exciting achievements that deserve praise everyday, no matter what age

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHoward For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (05-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=MrsHoward;7578437]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    People think introducing solids is a milestone like crawling or talking, as in 'wow my (tiny young) baby just had solids, what an achievement'. It's really quite different, you give food for nutrition, not as something you 'achieve'.
    QUOTE]

I think anything baby does..no matter how small or "normal" it may be is an achievement and a milestone to be celebrated!
    Walking, talking, Eating solids, Doing a poo or even laughing are all exciting achievements that deserve praise everyday, no matter what age

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It does deserve praise but I think what Jellyfishie was getting at was more that some are too keen to start solids, perhaps before it is needed because they think that since their baby is eating so early they must be super extra clever, like when they walk or talk early. Its not really the same though. I hope that made sense.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    [QUOTE=Tildy;7578462]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHoward View Post

It does deserve praise but I think what Jellyfishie was getting at was more that some are too keen to start solids, perhaps before it is needed because they think that since their baby is eating so early they must be super extra clever, like when they walk or talk early. Its not really the same though. I hope that made sense.
    I do understand what you mean but walking or talking early isnt exactly a sign of the child being smarter etc.

I reluctantly started solids early with DS3 after his Paed said to. Its the best thing we did, he no longer cries all day and *gasp* he eats rice cereal or porridge every day or epse he returns to a screaming mess, it is helping control gis reflux. Ive been told im full of $ hit that it wouldnt help, ive been told im destroying his gut - but those people dont see the difference in him, they're not the ones who watched him scream for 4 months straight with nothing else working.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Tildy;7578462]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsHoward View Post

Being able to walk or talk early doesn't mean they are super clever either, I know plenty of people that walked early that aren't rhode scholars... It just means they have developed earlier than others...We all need to remember babies are not text books & they will do things are different stages, start your baby when you & your baby are ready, use common sense and take guidelines into consideration when you make the decision for 'your' baby.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=peanutmonkey;7578471]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post

I do understand what you mean but walking or talking early isnt exactly a sign of the child being smarter etc.

I reluctantly started solids early with DS3 after his Paed said to. Its the best thing we did, he no longer cries all day and *gasp* he eats rice cereal or porridge every day or epse he returns to a screaming mess, it is helping control gis reflux. Ive been told im full of $ hit that it wouldnt help, ive been told im destroying his gut - but those people dont see the difference in him, they're not the ones who watched him scream for 4 months straight with nothing else working.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    You know your child better than anyone else, trust your instincts & and don't listen to the haters!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post: