+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st Birthday Party!

What has everyone done for 1st birthday parties? We are currently trying to decide what to do.

I have done a list and there will be around 55 adults and 25 kids, so definitely not having it at home. It's in May so the weather might be crap here in Melbourne to have it at a park.

A friend made a suggestion today to have it at a indoor kids play centre. You can hire the whole place out. $500 for three hours from 530 to 830. You can bring your own food and drink including alcohol

What's everyone's thoughts? I know a first birthday party is really for the parents but I want her to have a big 1st birthday as she probably won't have another huge one until she's 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the indoor centre sounds like the best solution for you. Personally I like 1st birthdays to just be family and about the child not the parents friends, but I know I'm different in that regard.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

May baby  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think the indoor centre sounds like the best solution for you. Personally I like 1st birthdays to just be family and about the child not the parents friends, but I know I'm different in that regard.
    I know what you mean. It would be so much easier to just have a small family dinner but my family is orrery big and if I invite one and not the other, I'll be the worst person in the world.

I know bubs will never remember it but I guess we are also looking at in as a celebration for us too

Thanks
    Reviews
    what about a huge jumping castle in park with bbq/drinks?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

May baby  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    what about a huge jumping castle in park with bbq/drinks?
    That would be ideal but living in melbourne you can't trust the weather

Thanks
    Reviews
    For both my Ds 1 and 2 we did the back yard thing with about 50 adults and 20 kids.

We did a spit roast and BBQ & jumping castle. It's fun but it is lots of work. I'm lucky my mum loves to help .

For our next ds (currently pregnant) I will rent the play centre, so, similar to what you mentioned.

In Sydney there's a 'pizza van' guy who caters for parties and makes really yum pizzas for parties. So that's what I'll be doing for the catering. It will be less hassle than having it at home and even if the cost works out a bit more I'm still ok with that.

With Melb weather I'd do the play centre if I were in your shoes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

May baby  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    For both my Ds 1 and 2 we did the back yard thing with about 50 adults and 20 kids.

We did a spit roast and BBQ & jumping castle. It's fun but it is lots of work. I'm lucky my mum loves to help .

For our next ds (currently pregnant) I will rent the play centre, so, similar to what you mentioned.

In Sydney there's a 'pizza van' guy who caters for parties and makes really yum pizzas for parties. So that's what I'll be doing for the catering. It will be less hassle than having it at home and even if the cost works out a bit more I'm still ok with that.

With Melb weather I'd do the play centre if I were in your shoes
    I don't want the hassle at home either

I really want to do the play centre, I'm just worried that starting at 5 for a 1st birthday is a bit late?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We did a park with a huge under covered room and roof top for parties - ( 30 adults/15 kids) are there any parks with a covered area near you ? I think play centres are great but not for 1 year olds - I plan on hiring one out for DS when he is 5 - We just had bikes / toys for the little kids and heaps of party games for the bigger kids, I also agree 5 pm is not good - my DS was in bed by 6.30 at 1 and would have been cranky - as would the other kids and parents !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We hired a small church hall. They had a regular playgroup there and were happy for us to use the toys, so that kept the kidlets entertained! It turned out to be a beautiful day (quite unexpected for an August day in Melbourne), and there was a lovely grass area outdoors to extend the party into.

They had kitchen facilities for food prep, so we did a combination of our own food and some bought platters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post
    What has everyone done for 1st birthday parties? We are currently trying to decide what to do.

I have done a list and there will be around 55 adults and 25 kids, so definitely not having it at home. It's in May so the weather might be crap here in Melbourne to have it at a park.

A friend made a suggestion today to have it at a indoor kids play centre. You can hire the whole place out. $500 for three hours from 530 to 830. You can bring your own food and drink including alcohol

What's everyone's thoughts? I know a first birthday party is really for the parents but I want her to have a big 1st birthday as she probably won't have another huge one until she's 5.
    Sorry, but 5:30-8:30 is too late for a first birthday party. I wouldnt go. However im very strict with bedtime routine and others arent.