+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Adding another bottle

I have twins who are 4 1/2months old. I breastfeed them except for one bottle of formula before bed. I've been doing this since 6weeks old or so and it's been great. I also use a bottle if we are out and about with them at a feed time which is only about once a week.

I'm wondering if it would do any harm to introduce another daily bottle in the middle of the day. I'd breast feed first and then top them up. I feel like they get hungrier and hungrier as the day goes on and my supply seems only just enough. Also, when we are out and about and give them a day time bottle they seem much happier.

I don't want to mess up my breast feeding and they are certainly not getting very upset, it's just more sucking fingers, dribbling, drier nappies and less happy from 1pm feed onwards. I've tried feeding more often but my supply is at its limit for two I think.

Do I change anything? Any advice welcome.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nat well done for breast feeding your twins, I've had supply issues with 1 baby let alone two!
    I do mix feeding with my 4 month old baby . I offer him 3 top up - mid morning, afternoon and last feed. This is always after a BF. I also have trouble keeping up with his demands he is a hungry boy.
    I don't see the harm in it if you keep BF too as sometimes I fall into the pattern of replacing a feed with a bottle which then affects my supply the following day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks lillac. Yeah i'd rather not replace a feed but I'm also concerned that topping up they won't be so hungry so it will be longer until their next BF which will also affect supply. Hmmm....tough decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what about offering solids? sounds like they may be ready ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are they big kids? My son was big in weight and at the same age he started needing more to eat. I wasn't breastfeeding so I can't help re supply, I gave an extra bottle of formula to hold him off until 5 and a half months as I didn't want to introduce solids that early. At 5 1/2 months we started on farax and he was quickly eating 2 bowls a day lol.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    what about offering solids? sounds like they may be ready ?
    I did think about that but they were 5 weeks early so only 3 and bit months corrrected. I don't think it's time yet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you feeding on demand during the day? If so just go with what they want, assuming bubs are happy and putting one weight they should be fine with what they are having.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes feeding on demand and feeds get closer together as day goes on, but there just doesn't seem to be much there in the afternoons. I'm eating porridge for brekky and drinking lots of water. Any other foods helpful?
    As I said, they are not upset, just unsettled/grumpier and sucking fists and dribbling more in afternoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds a lot like normal afternoon grumbles. We go though the same thing with dd 5wks. She feeds like crazy 'cluster feeds' from 5-8 then sleeps really well after that. I would just stick to their schedule and demand feed when they want it. It's normal not to feel full all the time it doesn't mean there isn't anything there.
    I would highly recommend contacting either the aba or your local child health clinic and talking with a lactation consultant before hand just to check things thoroughly. They will know better and seeing bubs face to face will help to know if you need to be doing more feeds or not.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MadeWithLove For This Useful Post:

NAT256  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks madewithlove. I did ring ABA today and have decided to continue with just BF and try a couple of things to improve it a bit. They were very helpful and reassuring.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NAT256 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-11-2013),MadeWithLove  (15-11-2013)