+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! My 5 month old wont sleep much during the day anymore.

My ds (5 months) has always been a fantastic sleeper even during the day but for the past 4 weeks i can not get him to sleep during the day for more than 40mins at a a time. At night he sleeps from 6.45pm till 7.30am and very rarely do i have to get up to him. (Im very lucky in that respect) I then put him down around 9.30am or as soon as i see his tired signs but he will only stay down for one sleep cycle which is about 40 mins and its the same with his afternoon nap. He isnt grumpy and is quite content to play on the floor most of the time. Has anyone else experienced this with their little ones? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds like he is going great and has got himself into a nice sleep pattern, you are very lucky. I don't know what you want help with, longer day sleeps? He has to be awake some times, and with that massive night sleep and two day naps, I think the only way to get more daytime hours asleep out of him would be to cut back at night, and if I were you I wouldn't be messing with that.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (14-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mummaoj. I guess the only reason i am worried is that he was sleeping for 1.5 to 2hrs each daytime nap and all of a sudden it changed for no reason. Was not sure if this is common in 5 month olds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, very common, he has come out of his 'newborn' self and needs a little less sleep now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You might find he eventually goes back to having longer daytime naps again. DS was the same and only napped 2-3 times per day for 40 minutes at a time from the age of about 4-12 months, then suddenly started having one longer nap in the middle of the day. If he's happy when he is awake then I think it's best to just follow his lead.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bitterpure For This Useful Post:

Sethysmum  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd goes through phases where she'll nap only 40 minutes and won't resettle but will then return after a week or so to napping 1-2 hours. It's so confusing isn't it?

Sounds like you're doing a good job and following his cues, it's probably all he needs at the moment .....As long as your ds is happy enough, doesn't appear overtired and still sleeping well at night I'd just ride it out. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks daptoamy. Its so confusing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My DD used to catnap around that age, everyone told me it was a phase but I knew it was because I had her routine all wrong and she wasn't self settling yet.

Does your bub self settle yet?

I think from memory too, you may not have him awake for long enough in the morning and that has a roll on effect for sleeps the rest of the day.

I found with my DD if I out her down according to her tired signs, she wasn't a great sleeper, but as soon as I followed the clock she slept so much better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he has self settled since he was 6 weeks old. I follow his tired signs and he is normally starting to get tired about 2hrs after he gets up. He has no probs going down during the day its that he doesnt sleep longer than 40 mins ( 1 sleep cycle) anymore where as he used to have 2hr day sleeps twice day.