+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working Full Time With A 14 Month Old??

Not sure if Ive posted in the right place but I wanted some advice from mums who have young babies and work full time. What is it like? How do you cope with keeping up with the maintenance of the home? Are all of your weekends filled with housework and grocery shopping?
    I'm currently on maternity leave form my teaching position. I'm not due to go back until July at which time I can go back part time. However my job is in Sydney and I live on the central coast of NSW) about 1.5 hour drive). I have put in a transfer application but they are known to take years especially to coastal areas. Anyway, a permanent position has come up on the coast and I submitted an application and have been asked to an interview. The only thing is it's full time and that scares the cr@p out of me so Im just wanting to hear from those who have done it and see if its doable?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is doable but may depend on your standards. How clean and perfect do you need your house to be?
    We shop online with click and collect from coles so fill it out in the evening pick it up on the way home the day after. Stick to quick simple dinners during the week.

If you can afford it hire a cleaner otherwise do bits and pieces each day to avoid spending hours on the weekend.

A supportive husband that shares the house work definitely helps, roles and responsibilities may need to readjust with both working full time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Addiegirl For This Useful Post:

KellyMac  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will just need to be organised. Maybe get a cleaner. And pls dont take this the wrong way - yoy get to catchup/take a breather in the school hols. My sil I
    s a teacher and she Says it is the best job to have with kids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeLee For This Useful Post:

KellyMac  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I really want the job but the thought of leaving my baby every day makes me really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and Addiegirl I clean a lot. We have inside cats (not my choice) so I vacuum everyday and mop every second day currently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can definitely be done you just need to be really organised. I find full time work easier to fit around child care than around school hours, that's much harder. Hiring a cleaner is great, so is a robotic vacuum to use in between major cleans. Meal planning is important and there's also nothing wrong with take out a couple of times a week - I just try to choose healthier options. I used to do my grocery shopping online but have recently started shopping at Aldi which doesn't take me long at all as the store is no where near as big as the major supermarkets. But more important of all is having a compassionate workplace, supportive husband and extended family to help out. I often feel like I'm racing from one thing to the another but everything seems to work out and I cherish my weekends!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmy For This Useful Post:

KellyMac  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked 0.9fte, then went back to full time for two months before I started on maternity leave, when my son was 22 months old. It's tough but doable. You just need to be organised. I found doing online grocery shopping and meal planning for the week ahead a life saver. I also bulk cook for DS's evening meals so they're nice and easy to do as soon as we get home from work/daycare.

And I do household chores while DS naps at weekends. DH and I just make sure we share the load and it works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skips For This Useful Post:

KellyMac  (15-11-2013)