+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Boys Blue View Post
    Ok it all makes a bit more sense now.

We were going to put all of our money on our home loan, wait for the interest to be taken out then withdraw the money to pay off the credit card.

So as long as it all works smoothly, I would have thought we'd end up saving a fair bit of money...?

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    You will. The only catch is getting carried away and spending more than you can pay off at the end of the month. But provided you don't do that then it will definitely save you money.

Using the card for everything will also mean you accumulate quite a lot of points too (if your card has a loyalty points program) and they can usually be converted into gift cards or cash - always a nice bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With the rewards system attached to the card, I calculated we should get the equivalent of $400 a year (after annual fee on card) plus save interest on the home loan (even if only a small amount). I guess it all adds up in the end.

We are very good at budgeting so I don't see that we would ever have an issue with not paying it back on time.

I guess we can always try it and if we find its not working or not worth it, we can just cancel it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which cards have the best rewards programs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thinking of getting the Cole's rewards MasterCard because I'm a pretty avid collector of flybuys. I haven't fully looked into the other ones yet so hopefully someone else can shed some light.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We were going to put all of our money on our home loan, wait for the interest to be taken out then withdraw the money to pay off the credit card.

So as long as it all works smoothly, I would have thought we'd end up saving a fair bit of money...?

You just have to be very disciplined.

Don't spend your c/card balance & also your available cash.

We managed well for about 3 years and then there were one of two items we had to dip into our savings for on top of using the c/card.

After that we slowly started to fall behind with saving money, and so we got rid of the c/card all together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The most important thing is to pay the full statement balance when the statement is due. The statement just says minimum payment X due by date Y, making it seem like that's all you need to do. But that only avoids late fees, not interest.

Say you get a statement with a balance outstanding of $635 with a minimum repayment of $35 due on 14/11. If you pay the full $635 by the 14th then that's no interest paid on all those things you bought that month. If you only make the minimum repayment then the remaining $600 starts being charged interest from that day forward. At 20% rate it would start at a charge of around $3.30 a day in interest! (anyone correct me if I got my maths wrong!)

As PPs have said they are great if you know how to work them, but miss a couple of payments and all savings are lost pretty quickly!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    They are handy for other things - online shopping, travel etc, but they do not ever 'save' you money.
    Rather a bold statement considering its incorrect.

Mine saves me hundreds if not thousands each year and I've never paid a cent in interest and also have no fee.

Maybe you're not using yours properly?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

M2OR  (13-11-2013),NancyBlackett  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes we do it and it works very well for us. We've never paid a cent of interest on it for the 5 years we've had our loan structured this way. We don't pay any bank fees either. It's a win win for us.

We have also used free flights within Australia with the points we've accumulated over the years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing all your experiences. We are definitely interested but I think I will have to look into all of the fine print etc in more depth first.

At least now I have a better idea on how it actually works :-)