+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Day spa voucher- a whole class thing.
    A friend of mine has gotten weekends away..... Just from one family!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister is a teacher, and yes, Dan Murphy gift cards are definitely a favourite.

I get Gloria Jeans gift cards usually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think bottle shop gift card in a Christmas card is the way to go! I said to hubby about he said just get her a box of roses! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Straight up genuine question because I don't understand this - but why do people buy (or feel the need to buy) gifts for teachers for doing their job which they are paid to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nirok View Post
    Straight up genuine question because I don't understand this - but why do people buy (or feel the need to buy) gifts for teachers for doing their job which they are paid to do?
    As a sign of appreciation for those who go the extra mile in their support of our kids? As a gesture of goodwill and appreciation for the hard job they do?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't buy a present for a teacher that 'just' did their job. Many teachers go above and beyond for no reason other than the children and their best interests. They deserve extra appreciation from parents. It would be rude not to acknowledge extra work done to help your child for no pay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While teachers are paid, I think they a severely underpaid for their day to day duties. My DD's teacher always delivers engaging activities for the children to do and it is obvious that a lot of the stuff she does would take a lot longer than her allotted non contact hours.

Not only that but DD's teacher really makes an extra effort to connect with my DD and make her feel supported and cared for. To me, this is way beyond her duty as the classroom teacher as my DD is emotionally immature compared to some of her peers and needs extra comfort to feel confident. My DD absolutely adores her teacher and will be heartbroken to move on from her.

If that's not enough of a reason to buy a Christmas gift then I don't know what is!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

JungleMum  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Because they are caring for my kids. They're part of our lives. I bought gifts for the NICU and SCU nurses and doctors that looked after my premmie bub too.

I don't tend to spend a great deal but I get a Christmas decoration for them to hang on their tree and I write a card. Oh, for DD's year one teacher (who was so amazing to us) I bought her earrings, a scarf and a bottle of her favourite wine and I wrote a big, gushy note in the card!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the same reason anyone gives gifts to people who have played a significant role in their life!