+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please Help! 28 weeks pregnant and spec exam came up positive for pre-term labour....

Hi everyone,

So I was admitted to hospital for the second time last week, the first time was for bleeding (which they found was from an ectropion on the cervix), the second, most recent time was due to me having a constant 'tightening' in my stomach for 3 days, where my stomach was so hard all the time, it felt like a rock, it wasn't painful but just uncomfortable.

So, while in hospital for the second time, they did a spec exam and a swab test to see if i was going to go into labour within the next 7 days which came back positive (to my absolute shock!! ) They gave me meds to stop contractions/labour, which seemed to have settled the tightness, and kept me in hospital for 2 days and then let me go home as i wasn't showing any other signs of labour.

What I'm wondering is, is there anyone else who had a positive test but didn't go on to have their baby early? Im really worried about it but have no other symptoms of going in to labour and so confused !!

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The swab tests aren't always the most reliable. If any other vaginal exam was done before the swab they can stuff the results up big time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    The swab tests aren't always the most reliable. If any other vaginal exam was done before the swab they can stuff the results up big time.
    But the op did have the tightening and discomfort so the swabs were obviously accurate I would think. If they didn't stop her contractions she would have gone into labour so for you to suggest they may not have been accurate is inaccurate.

Best of luck op, it would be such a worrying time. Glad it has settled down for you for now. Hang in there bubba for a good while yet!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I was reading about those, OP all they say is that you *may* go into labour! not that you will. All people going into labour will get a positive but not all positive tests mean going into labour

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is a great link to explain it

http://www.babycenter.com/0_preterm-...nectin_1511.bc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    But the op did have the tightening and discomfort so the swabs were obviously accurate I would think. If they didn't stop her contractions she would have gone into labour so for you to suggest they may not have been accurate is inaccurate.

Best of luck op, it would be such a worrying time. Glad it has settled down for you for now. Hang in there bubba for a good while yet!
    I didn't say that in the OP's case the test was inaccurate. I simply stated that the test can be inaccurate. Tightenings and discomfort don't always mean premature labour so I think for you to say that the OP would have had her baby early without medical treatment may be inaccurate too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I've been trying to read up on it and it was just making me even more confused!! Thanks for the link MrJones&Me, every little bit is helpful!

The doctors did say that there are a few things that can stuff up the result and make it a 'false positive' but they never actually told me what those things were!!

I feel like I'm on high alert now with every little twinge and pain that happens!! This is also my second pregnancy, and DS was born at 37 weeks but i went into labour so quickly with him i never had proper contractions or water breaking or any of those kind of symptoms, so I'm very nervous this time around that i will go into labour even quicker this time.... its all so stressful!!!!