+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A cheap feed

In the spirit of some threads started by the 'boys and me' I thought I would start this thread

Ideas and recipes to plan ahead for a cheap, tasty and if we must .... Healthy

I have 6 mouths to feed. If when posting you could give an estimate of cost and how many it feeds. Include estimate for garnishes etc.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family love risotto. I just use a normal recipe base( Arborio, chicken stock and any wine I may have in the fridge . It can be done without wine) One leek, one chicken breast and about 50g grated Parmesan. If I have any tinned or frozen corn I will chuck that in and season the dish with salt and pepper. This would cost me about $15 and feeds two adults and two kids with heaps left over. It is such a filling dish and the kids polish it off.

I also do lasagne in the slow cooker with about 400-500g mince with grated carrot, zucchini, celery, diced onion, kidney beans, diced tomatoes along with a tomato based sauce . I just add as many veggies as I can and less mince. The kids love it in the slow cooker. I do cook up the mince mixture and the white sauce and then layer it I the slow cooker. I use less pasta sheets as you can only get one and a half per layer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to do beef macaroni (not exactally healthy) but always a winner here. My 2yo loves it. I used to make this and it would feed 6 adults for under $20. I only ever cook this by guestimate.

About 600gms beef mince (hamburger tastes better but you can use whatever) buying hamburger mine from aldi its about $7.
    two onions ($1)
    3-4 grated carrots ($1)
    2 cups frozen peas ($1)
    3-4 chicken noodle soup dry sachets ($4) I only use continental.
    500gms bag macaroni ($3) I like san remo but have also used home brand and aldi.
    1tsp curry (30c?) I like keens. You can add as much as you like. before ds was on solids we used alot as we like some bite.
    Water.

Brown onion, add mince, brown.
    Add carrot and peas, curry and ckn noodle soup. Mix
    Pour in macaroni. mix through.

I use an electric frypan, and just put enough water in to cover it. let it simmer, stirring regularly until macaroni is cooked.

Definately a meal thats better cooked in the morning, and tastes even better the next day!
    You can use more or less of meat and pasta too. I prefer more pasta, as does ds, but the guys prefer more meat.

My chow mien is similar and also healthier. I just replace the pasta with 1 cup of rice and gaps of shredded cabbage.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013),KaraB  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Pasta dishes are great and cheap, lots of variations. I do tuna mornay a lot (ingredients are tuna, bread crumbs, cheese sauce from flour, butter, milk & sliced cheese, corn/peas, onion & garlic) and zucchini spaghetti (grated zucchini, diced bacon, cream, onion, garlic, Parmesan) and of course good old spag bol.
    Home made pizza dough is good too, 4 cups plain flour, 2 sachets dried yeast, 375ml warm water, dash of oil, pinch of salt & sugar) I make up 2 lots and freeze 3-4 separate portions of dough, defrost them in fridge when needed. Much cheaper and nicer than take away pizza.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our cheap meal is mince!

I just cook up some mince, crushed garlic, onion. Sometimes I grate zucchini and carrot in if I have it. Then add a cup of beef stock and simmer it down. I also like to add a squirt of tomato and bbq sauce once it is simmered down. Sometimes I add diced tomato aswell. We serve it with mash Gravy powder also works great if you dont have stock.

When I cook this the only ingredient I dont usually have is the mince so most of the time it only costs $3-$5 to make. Its a good way of using things that you would have sitting in your cupboard.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are a family of 7 and mince by far is the cheapest feed! Soo many things you can do with mince...meatloaf, spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, rissoles, tacos, beef macaroni, savory mince, pies...

Eta; thought of a few more...nachoes, wraps, pasties
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 13-11-2013 at 00:08.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

bunkx  (12-11-2013),DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also trying this tonight over rice and with chicken drumsticks (they were on sale)
    http://mobile.stayathomemum.com.au/r...-chicken-bake/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love to see more non mince recipes as mince no matter where I get it from or what quality it does not agree with me

There are 6 mouths to feed here too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RoseBetweenTheThorns For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One capsicum
    One zuccini
    One onion
    Handful of string bean thingies
    Bunch of pasta of your choice
    Stock cubes
    Teaspoon/tablespoon of garlic
    Chinese five spice
    Water to cover

Put it all in one pot, let it boil for 15 minutes then serve and nom.

You can tweak it to whatever veggies you like/have handy and need to use up and get rid of, and can add chicken breast chopped up if you like.

This amount feeds three grown adults, with left overs for another meal, so I guess six meals. It costs me uhh.. Maybe 3 dollars? Erm.. Yea'. Roughly that. If I don't put in the chicken breast. And I only use one of them. (I'm very conscious of the amount of meat consumed in my house. A lot of humans eat far more than they actually need to, so I make sure we don't.)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013),KaraB  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apricot chicken.

Chicken-whatever cut you like.
    Apricot nectar
    Dry French onion soup
    Plain flour

Coat the chicken with plain flour, place in oven dish, mix soup mix and nectar together, pour over chicken. Bake 180 till cooked. Use 1 normal tin nectar to 1 sachet soup mix.

Serve with rice, cous cous, potato mash and steamed veg.

Chicken sweet corn soup
    Chicken (I use a whole fresh one and freeze some in containers)
    2 tins creamed corn
    Chicken stock.
    Eggs
    Corn flour
    Salt and pepper

Boil chicken to make stock, de bone and cut into tiny pieces.
    Put chicken back into water, add corn, bring to boil.
    Using awhisk slowly tip in beaten egg.
    Thicken and season to your liking

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (12-11-2013),RoseBetweenTheThorns  (12-11-2013)