+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The Pantry Challenge

Ok BH I started a different thread about a grocery money saving challenge and it gained a bit of interest. So I thought I'd start a thread where members can come to report progress, get inspiration, ask cooking questions, share their creations or whatever else fits the category.

The aim is to do as little grocery shopping as you can for a week. If you'd like to set yourself a dollar target not to exceed then by all means do - or maybe you have another goal such as halving your bill, not buying any extra meat/protein for the week, only buying milk/bread/fruit or you could even decide that you will only allow 5 items on your grocery list. The target is completely up to you. You can share it or keep it to yourself

I'll give a few pointers that have helped me get prepared (I started on Sunday) these were to:

- Write down a stock take of what you already have in your fridge/freezer/pantry.

- Design a meal plan for the week

- Google alternatives if you aren't confident in throwing things together without a recipe. Things that require buttermilk can be replaced with milk & lemon juice - or if you are out of self raising flour you can use plain flour, baking powder & salt.

- If you have a single ingredient that you need to use up but aren't sure how either ask in here .... Or jump online and type it into to recipe websites.

You will find that during the pantry challenge period you probably won't eat like you normally do. You might have to have a few meals that are a bit more simple or not as healthy as you'd normally eat.

The idea is that you spend the very minimum necessary to get you through the week (without starving obviously.)

So pop in and contribute whenever it suits you. This challenge has no starting or end date. It's an ongoing thread where you can gather support whether it be once a month or once every six months.

So welcome aboard Pantry Pirates!!! Let's save ourselves some loot by tightening the spending ropes!!

(If you are interested to see where this thread orientated from it is called $21 Challenge).
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...0-21-challenge
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 12-11-2013 at 12:23.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (12-11-2013),francesthecat  (20-03-2014),KaraB  (27-01-2014),LoCo  (12-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (12-11-2013),PinkPopsicle  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had excess carrots so googled carrot recipes. I made a salad of carrot and apple cut into match sticks, added grated cheese and sultanas. The dressing was olive oil, honey and lemon juice. It was different but nice. This got me onto making salads from what I had in the fridge. Grated cheese and a tin of pineapple pieces (so good!). Potato salad- just spuds with some ranch dressing that needed using up. Rice salad with chopped carrot, capsicum and tinned corn. Pasta salad, with mayo- and nothing else...lol couldn't find anything. I then made a quiche so use up the bacon I had in the fridge and spinach & parsley from the garden, a couple of eggs, milk and a bit of SR flour. So we have quite a bit of food in the fridge to get us through the next few days. We are eating lasagne for tea (I made quite a few pre-made meals as we are just home with a newborn). Kids school lunches were sandwiches, frozen yoghurt, muffins & pantry snacks. My lunch today will be toasted ham and cheese sanga, lucky the bub is free- breast milk for her!

This weeks total: $21 credit!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (20-03-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    First ingredient question:

What can I make with sweet potato purée? Inspire me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by caketin View Post
    First ingredient question:

What can I make with sweet potato purée? Inspire me!
    Pumpkin scones but add your potato puree instead.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive got a big box of rice bubbles to use up! Any ideas on something cheap quick and easy? Im thinking some sort of slice