+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No intervention birth

I don't know if intervention is the right word as with my first two births were low or no intervention (not sure what people class as intervention) i was monitored and 'checked' both times and also had my waters broken both times but that's it.

I am due in April with no.3 and I don't want to be monitored for very long (first two I was stuck to a bed for an hour checking hb and contractions) I'm expecting this birth to only be a couple of hours long and I want to be active for as much of it as possible.

I don't want to be 'checked' or have my waters broken this time either. I feel like I know my body better then anyone and I can tell how far I am and when I need to push with our some one checking and telling me.

I'm going through the public system and I can just see the look on the midwives face when I tell her I don't want to be checked. Should I right a birth plan? Do they even look at them when you go public? Am I being reasonable? Would love to hear from people who have done this and were you supported by the hospital? Are there any risks if bub is born in the sac?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a birth plan would be good but you also need a support person who is willing and able to communicate your birth plan through out your birth.
    Midwifes and dr's go on auto pilot sometimes and need to mostly be gently reminded that no its not in the birth plan etc. If you are aware of all of the risks and benefits associated with your choices and communicate this to the hospital staff there isn't much stopping you from having the birth you want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HowCrazyCool For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had an intervention free birth with ds2.

I didn't write a birth plan, but I repeatedly told every midwife I saw what I expected from my labour. Also made sure my support peopke knew what I wanted so if I was unable to communicate something(eg no drugs) they would be know my wishes.

I stayed at home as long as possible. When I got to hospital I asked for one internal to see where I was at, then told them I wouldn't consent to another. I told them I wouldn't be strapped to the bed so they did doppler checks every now and then. I refused to lay down. They offered my drugs, I told them I declined and didn't want to be asked again. All went well and I had ds 1.5hrs after arriving at hospital.

Not sure what you mean about the sac, but im sure that doesn't happen often. My waters broke by themselves about 30min before ds was born. I went public, and I was supported by my midwives.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 12-11-2013 at 12:01.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about going through a birth centre? They are often balloted at 20-24 weeks to see if you get in and strictly midwifery care. They won't even perform an internal if you don't want and at our classes they even to us a few stories of babies who were born in their sacs because the mothers didn't want their waters broken. Just an option

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you could get a doula that would probably help? Even a student doula?

you don't have to do anything you don't want to! I'd tell them everything you don't want as soon as you get there, before you get to the "I'm not talking, so what you want stage" (I do anyway). Also will baby daddy be there? Make sure they know exactly what you want (or birth partner).

i go through the birth centre and thankfully they don't do routine monitoring. They just check bub a few times with the Doppler and I've only had internals that ice requested.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a birth plan which stated I didn't want regular checks etc. My midwife left myself and my hubby alone to labour and only came in when I needed her to. We were in private though but it shouldn't matter - they should all repeat you and the way you wish to birth!

Good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to missmya84 For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no checks with DS. I went through a birthing centre, and I had my own midwife. DH asked in a panic if she thought she should check me, MW calmly pointed out that I was well into labour, sure enough he was born within 40 mins.

You could find out from hospital if it is possible to get a student MW to follow you through? Often they can be very useful as advocates when you are too busy worrying about your labour!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I had an intervention free birth with DS2. My first birth (induction with pethidine) went so well I didn't bother writing a birth plan this time, but I did mention a few things to my DH (no pethidine, active birth, I wanted to deliver upright or on all fours).

I had an internal when I first arrived at hospital (which I was happy with, I like to know what's going on), and bub was monitored for 20 minutes, but beyond that, there was no intervention at all. I laboured in the shower with the midwife poking her head in to check on us every so often, and started to push when I felt I was ready. My waters broke on their own 11 minutes before DS arrived.

I was lucky - we didn't really discuss with my Ob or the midwives what our plans were, but somehow the midwife we had that day knew exactly what we wanted. No one offered/ suggested drugs or pushed for another internal.

ETA: You've asked about risks to bub if they're born in the caul. As far as I know, there aren't any. The midwife discussed this with me when I first arrived, she said that they didn't intend to break my waters and that might mean that bub would be born in the caul, and assured me that there wasn't any risk. He had other ideas, but it would have been very cool!

Good luck - I hope you have an amazing birth!
    Last edited by Hamilicious; 12-11-2013 at 12:42.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree. Write it in the birth plan and make sure your support people know what you want and will speak up for you when you cant.

Also definitely stay home as long as possible.

With my first I was induced at 38 weeks due to cholestatsis and spent 2 days on a bed and strapped to monitors- had heaos of internals. And coz bubs heart rate dropped had even more. Waters were broken and everything. It was a very hard labour and birth. My only wish I got was not to have drugs which I thankfully didnt have any. I couldnt complain though as the risk of stillbirth was really high for me so I knew it had to be done.

My recent second one was an amazing labour and birth. I didnt have cholestatsis this time so I was able to go into spontaneous labour. I stayed at home for as long as possible and when I went into the hospital 30 mins later I had bub. Only had one internal as I wanted to know how far I was (didnt matter though as they said I was 6 and mins later I was pushing her out) and my waters broke naturally. Didnt even have time to go on the ctg monitor.

I think labouring at home is the key hey. Such a better experience.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolier For This Useful Post:

Tazzy  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    What about going through a birth centre? They are often balloted at 20-24 weeks to see if you get in and strictly midwifery care. They won't even perform an internal if you don't want and at our classes they even to us a few stories of babies who were born in their sacs because the mothers didn't want their waters broken. Just an option
    Second this. I had largely intervention free for my 3. DSS was a bit different due to his large size but I still had birth Centre midwife in the main hospital and labored wit minimum intervention ( until he got shoulder dystocia then everyone was in there).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app