+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brisbane QLD
    Posts
    172
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    76
    Reviews
    0
    My nurse said they get lazy! It takes effort to use their teeth/molars to chew food down and they can't be bothered, so they only eat easy stuff. I had that issue with DS and meat.


    Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,668
    Thanks
    5,719
    Thanked
    3,068
    Reviews
    25
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalasmooch View Post
    My nurse said they get lazy! It takes effort to use their teeth/molars to chew food down and they can't be bothered, so they only eat easy stuff. I had that issue with DS and meat.


    Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards
    Argh is that what it is! Ds is 26 months and I can barely get any meat into him. He eats chicken on the odd occasion but will not eat anything else

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked
    505
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS went through exactly the same phase at about the same age. He started out so well with solids and then just went backwards. I just stopped buying pouches so he had no choice. He can still be fussy at 3.5 but is much better. He eats pretty much everything we eat you can't really negotiate with them at that age, you just need to encourage. Give her a plate of different foods and let her experiment with textures and flavours...and just don't 'give in' to the pouches or yoghurt. Good luck.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked
    936
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How it is served really plays a part. DS has discovered he likes to dip, so now a squirt of tom sauce will get some things down. He will not touch loose corn kernels but will happily munch on a mini corn cob. Last night he polished off a big bowl of pasta bake that had beef mince, grated carrot and grated zucchini. This is a kid that hates meat and vegies.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with cutting out the pouches/purees all together. If you keep giving in and offering something if she refuses to eat dinner she will ALWAYS refuse cos shes gona get what she wants.

    Toddler will NOT starve themselves...its still a survival instinct at this age.

    Honestly, serve her the family lunch/dinner and if she doesnt eat it, tough. Yes this sounds harsh and yes it is hard and there will be some tears but i guarentee after a few days she will eat whatever is put in front of her.

    Trust me its better in the long run. Do you really want to be cooking 3 different means when she refuses to eat at age 10?? And what about if you have more kids?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,287
    Thanks
    967
    Thanked
    936
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post

    Toddler will NOT starve themselves...its still a survival instinct at this age.

    Honestly, serve her the family lunch/dinner and if she doesnt eat it, tough. Yes this sounds harsh and yes it is hard and there will be some tears but i guarentee after a few days she will eat whatever is put in front of her.
    I am doing this and trust me it doesn't work in a couple of days. We are about a month in and only just starting to see very slight gradual improvements. But DS is slowly coming around and dinnertime is getting better.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I agree with cutting out the pouches/purees all together. If you keep giving in and offering something if she refuses to eat dinner she will ALWAYS refuse cos shes gona get what she wants.

    Toddler will NOT starve themselves...its still a survival instinct at this age.

    Honestly, serve her the family lunch/dinner and if she doesnt eat it, tough. Yes this sounds harsh and yes it is hard and there will be some tears but i guarentee after a few days she will eat whatever is put in front of her.

    Trust me its better in the long run. Do you really want to be cooking 3 different means when she refuses to eat at age 10?? And what about if you have more kids?
    Believe me... I totally get this way of thinking... its easier said than done (emotionally). I definitely lean more towards tough love kind of parenting than coddling, but in this case I have reverted to giving in to save on tantrums and sleepless hungry nights!

    I have a plan! This weekend while hubby is home, it will be our food or nothing... I just hope I can keep my calm and not give in (I will also attempt to make it more fun and play around a bit with the food for her )

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    200
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellies Mum View Post
    Believe me... I totally get this way of thinking... its easier said than done (emotionally). I definitely lean more towards tough love kind of parenting than coddling, but in this case I have reverted to giving in to save on tantrums and sleepless hungry nights!

    I have a plan! This weekend while hubby is home, it will be our food or nothing... I just hope I can keep my calm and not give in (I will also attempt to make it more fun and play around a bit with the food for her )
    Oh yes, its not an easy thing to do. I know, ive done it. Maybe i was one of the lucky ones where it only took a few days but it did for us. Yes it was hard but im so glad i did it. My kids eat anything now.
    Can i ask, has she woken up hungry if she doesnt eat or a you just worried she will? I know i was so scared of my kids waking hungry, but it never actaully happened, they were starving in the morning though!!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    561
    Thanks
    139
    Thanked
    101
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldnt worry too much about them going to bed hungry and waking up at night. My daughter is a really good eater, but there is many nights she hasn't eaten dinner. We dont offer anything else and she goes to bed hungry and doesnt wake up at night (she's gotten our drift now that she only gets that to eat- no second option, so she will generally eat it.) She never eats as much ar dinner time as she does at other meals though, and she has always been like this.

    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    19
    Reviews
    0
    She has woken hungry a couple of times when she hasn't really had anything for dinner, she gets a bottle and then goes back to bed easily and quickly. That's why it worries me for her not to eat dinner! But willing to give it all a shot!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. One year old not eating (and teething)
    By Bronkilks in forum Toddlers (1 year olds)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-07-2013, 07:48
  2. How much EBM once eating solids?
    By Donnab739 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 06:54
  3. 10 month old fussy/not eating much solids.....any others??
    By The B Bunch in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-02-2013, 13:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Mother and Baby Shop
Save $$$ during our Christmas Sale Mother and Baby Shop
Great prices on Schoenhut kids pianos, toys, baby clothing as well as big brands like Pigeon, NUK, Cherub Baby and many more. Sale starts on 1 November 2016 and ends on the 27 December 2016. Hurry! Place your order today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Hunter Women's Health Centre
Hunter Women’s Health Centre care for women of all ages, in the full spectrum of their gynaecologic and obstetric health.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!