+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Loislane2010, he still sleeps during the day most days only because I make him. It is a huge fight to get him to sleep and unless I sit with him he just won't go to sleep. If he doesn't sleep by 5pm he is completely out of control.

We put him in bed at 7.30pm but we are lucky if he goes to sleep before 9pm, some nights it's 10pm before he drifts off. He will mainly play on his bed, but sometimes will make excuses like toilet, thirsty etc to get out of staying in his room. Then at least once a night he tries to come into our bed to sleep but I take him back to his own. He is normally awake by 6am.

I'm just at my wits end. I hate fighting with him all day everyday. Even our au pair can't cope and she is the most patient person I have ever met.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could be way of here but could he be jealous?

If you are spending time with other kids & he is with au pair at the time, he could be getting jealous & when he plays up it could be to get your attention?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cookies View Post

If you are spending time with other kids & he is with au pair at the time, he could be getting jealous & when he plays up it could be to get your attention?
    That is what I am thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We had issues with DS1 at 3.5 and stopped his nap. He went from fighting bedtime to going to sleep between 7-7:30 no issues.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have found a few useful tips from a book called The No Cry Discipline Solution eg using egg timer so cant argue about giving things back, ipad time etc

have u thought about Triple P parenting program or something similiar run by the local community health centre? i havent done it but do hear good things about it all the time.

if my 3.5 yo has a sleep in the day (he hasnt had a day sleep since 22 months old) for example if we are driving for a long time and he zonks out...he will NOT go to sleep at night either til 10pm.

also wondering if u have had a GP check up for him eg hearing tests, allergies etc...just a thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah im not much help, but it sounds like tiredness to me. Im not really sure what to do as my kids seem to be the opposite of everyone elses, if they don nap during the day they always take longer to fall asleep at night at wake earlier. If they do nap they usually sleep til 6.30/7am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Try limited choices and time frames. eg. "Would you like this or this?" rather than " What would you like?" and if not eaten in 20min remove the food and he doesn't get anything till the next meal. Apply the choice option to anything not just food. Give him choices that you can live with rather than unlimited choices. It still gives him some control but within your limits. He'll still resist at first but if you stick to it eventually he'll come round. (well that's the theory anyway). Goodluck
    I find this applies well with my nearly 4 year old.

I also use 1,2,3 chances on him and then there is a consequence for bad behavior, removal of toys, tv off etc.

He still doesn't eat well but this seems to work well to curb unwanted behavior for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cookies View Post

This was my first though too. How many days a week is the household like this? Could you cut down your FDC days? Or why not have less children, so that your 2 can be with you?
    Last edited by CMF; 12-11-2013 at 14:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been doing family day care now for over 2 years so really he doesn't know any different. He was fine up until about 4 months ago. He spends a lot of the day with me and all the other children. We also have our own time together every night so he has one on one time with him.

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 3 is just worse than 2 to be honest! I have a 3.8yr old and have friends with kids the same age and we all have issues!! My DS has improved massively in the last month...this is what I think has helped:

- I became a SAHM (obviously not always possible) I am now less distracted and more attentive
    - consistency
    - 2 choices only. Give choices wherever possible to give children a sense of power in a positive way, stops them from seeking it in a negative way
    - clear consequences and follow through
    - we had a jar and each time he did the right thing he got to put a ping pong ball in it, when the jar was full he got to buy a game to play together (matching cards, hungry hippos etc) this worked amazingly. If he did the wrong thing we took a ball out